Have your say & ask the experts!

Best TV for sub £1000

9 replies [Last post]
stuarta99's picture

Just looking at purchasing a new house and I had decided that I would buy a new TV to replace my Panasonic TX37PX70 as a main TV.

I don't want to go crazy on price, had been looking at Samsung LED's along the lines that an LED would be cheaper to run, but then I think anything newer will probably be cheaper than my current set.  Not too bothered about 3D, but want a SMART one so that if nothing else I can stream DLNA from my Synology NAS.  Size wise, I'm thinking about 42-47".

I've read about the GT series but none of these seem to be available to purchase now so I'm guessing an old set.

Does anyone have any recommendations please.

bigboss's picture
RE: Best TV for sub £1000

You'll get a free blu ray player, a free Sony smartphone and 5 years guarantee with these 2 models.

Both TVs are getting good reviews.

Panasonic GT50 has been replaced by GT60 which is available to buy

Cheaper here.

Another option within your budget is Panasonic ST60.

Get John Lewis or Richer Sounds to price match the best deals.

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

stuarta99's picture

Thank you.  The GT60 makes sense then as to why I can't find a 50.  Thinking it might be just over budget, thinking more 700ish

gel
gel's picture

stuarta99 wrote:

Thank you.  The GT60 makes sense then as to why I can't find a 50.  Thinking it might be just over budget, thinking more 700ish

Some deals here:

http://www.hughesdirect.co.uk/vision/televisions/productlist#2

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

Thompsonuxb's picture

try richer sounds - the TXL47WT60 - currently about 899pounds (rrp £2000), last years model but it looks the money, is stunning to look at when turned off with its ultra slim frame (its all screen) and is a really good telly, great picture, wide view angle and great colours including blacks & super slim too. the sound ain't to bad ether but a sound bar or AV system is better. I bought one and I am very happy with it.

Kyndylan's picture

I will be watching this thread with interest (I hope it gets some more comments!) as I'm in exactly the same position. 

I like the look of the Sony KDL47W805A, but I haven't come accross many detailed reviews yet.

gel
gel's picture

Kyndylan wrote:

I will be watching this thread with interest (I hope it gets some more comments!) as I'm in exactly the same position. 

I like the look of the Sony KDL47W805A, but I haven't come accross many detailed reviews yet.

There is a really bad one on AVForums:

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Sony-W80-KDL-42W805A-47W805A-55W805A-3D-...

Probably best to avoid!

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

humate's picture

Im in same boat too. Hoping the new what hifi mag this month will help me make a decision with there supertest of sub 50inch tvs (at least i believe its that). im currently thinking st60 or samsung 6 series. 

Kyndylan's picture

humate wrote:

Im in same boat too. Hoping the new what hifi mag this month will help me make a decision with there supertest of sub 50inch tvs (at least i believe its that). im currently thinking st60 or samsung 6 series. 

Yes, it does look like Panasonic or Samsung are the front runners.

One of my problems with the Samsungs though is that there is such a proliferation of models. I suspect some of them are retailer-specific variations, but still, it makes it hard to know exactly what's under the hood!

humate's picture

Kyndylan wrote:

Yes, it does look like Panasonic or Samsung are the front runners.

One of my problems with the Samsungs though is that there is such a proliferation of models. I suspect some of them are retailer-specific variations, but still, it makes it hard to know exactly what's under the hood!

I agree.  The series 7 is fine... but for some reason theres a million different series 6 tv's.  I think the new magazine is out tommorow.?  hopefully that will help.  However, unfortunately at yours and my pricepoint (£750ish) I think the picture quality drops off quite quickly.  But im no expert.