Have your say & ask the experts!

"Banding" on Philips 9664 / Pioneer 320

3 replies [Last post]
PhilPhilips's picture

Hi All,

First post so please be kind!

I've recently purchased a Philips 42" 9664 and Pioneer BDP 320 combo and have been very impressed up until I've noticed a strange anomoly recently.

When watching Blu-Rays output at 21:9 with the black horizontal bars at the top and bottom of the screen there appears to be a small blur, about 5-10 pixels high, only visible on lighter scenes. Is this to be expected (I've noticed a similar but less obvious effect on my dad's Sony W4500) or something that can be lessened with better settings?

Many thanks

Phil

bigboss's picture
Re: "Banding" on Philips 9664 / Pioneer 320

I have noticed that sometimes, but have always ignored it. Maybe the more enlightened can shed light on the subject......

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

Badamz's picture

Do you mean the very edge of the picture where it meets the black bars? I have always noticed an 'edge' of washed out colour or a specific stripe of blurry colour right since we started with DVDs and I just thought it was something to do with the way the full frame is put on disc??? It seems much worse on some films than others. I must admit that when we first got our Loewe CRT and a DVD player way back in the mists of time, it did bother me. Maybe I've just got used to it, but it's always been there.

If that's not what you mean then please elaborate as I would like to have any issue with 'our' tv explained.

PhilPhilips's picture
Badamz:
'edge' of washed out colour or a specific stripe of blurry colour

That's it, I'll upload a still as an example when I get the chance although having been through a few more movies since I think it may be a source issue as the problem was intermittent even in the same movie (the rather overrated Slumdog Millionnaire).

Otherwise I would concur with the opinion of most that it is a truly stunning TV and well worth taking the plunge on spending the extra money over the original budget, the IMAX scenes on the Dark Knight almost had me stood up and applauding they were so detailed.