10 posts / 0 new
Last post
admin's picture
"Award winning" Sony KDL40EX503
English

Help! Just bought "product of the year" Sony KDL40EX503 expecting a fantastic viewing experience and I am really dissapointed; not at all what I was expecting and I am convinced the picture is worse than the 32" JVC CRT it replaced! I don't really know the correct terminology to describe the problems but here goes; writing on screen (for example sky breaking news banner or sky programe guide) looks "blocky" with a definite "shadow" around it; faces, particualarly when not in close up, also appear "blocky"; you can see a shadow line around peoples shoulders if there is a light background behind them. Faces sometimes appear to break up if they move quickly.

We have it connected through Sky +  via a standard scart lead. Someone has suggested connecting it via a HDMI lead from the Sky box, but i don't think my Sky + box has one. I think the picture is marginally better if we just watch the built in Freeview rather than through sky  + box. Only watching SD images at the moment, do not have Sky + HD and no Freeview HD in this area yet. This is our first foray into flat screen TVs so don't know if this is just what to expect from this technology.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

micks_address's picture
Re: "Award winning" Sony KDL40EX503

Your suffering the side affect of increasing your screen size by 8 inches... SD material isnt great at the best of times. but on smaller screens you dont notice nearly as much the blockiness and transmission issues.. i thought the same when i went from 32 to 40.. some channels look fine depending on bitrate.. have you got your sky plus box set to output 'RGB' pictures via scart in the picture settings? id also suggest using a fully wired scart lead.. that may help..  also have a play around with the Noise reduction and sharpness settings on the tv.. if you have a look on the web you might find 'suggested' settings for best viewing on the tv..

cheers,

mick

p.s. i bet it looks great with blu-ray though Smile

MarkOB:

Help! Just bought "product of the year" Sony KDL40EX503 expecting a fantastic viewing experience and I am really dissapointed; not at all what I was expecting and I am convinced the picture is worse than the 32" JVC CRT it replaced! I don't really know the correct terminology to describe the problems but here goes; writing on screen (for example sky breaking news banner or sky programe guide) looks "blocky" with a definite "shadow" around it; faces, particualarly when not in close up, also appear "blocky"; you can see a shadow line around peoples shoulders if there is a light background behind them. Faces sometimes appear to break up if they move quickly.

We have it connected through Sky +  via a standard scart lead. Someone has suggested connecting it via a HDMI lead from the Sky box, but i don't think my Sky + box has one. I think the picture is marginally better if we just watch the built in Freeview rather than through sky  + box. Only watching SD images at the moment, do not have Sky + HD and no Freeview HD in this area yet. This is our first foray into flat screen TVs so don't know if this is just what to expect from this technology.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Mick,

Thanks for the tips, i'll look at all those. Havn't looked at blu-ray yet. Bought a Sony 370 to compliment the TV and are planning to "christen" it this weekend!

Thanks again

Mark

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Mark - it would be worth you checking to see if you have a HDMI socket in your SKY+ box as this would be a better option than using a scart cable. A good quality HDMI cable would also help.  

If picture quality is still disappointing then you may have a faulty set. I have the same model and I am delighted with its picture quality - it is a step above some of the other flat screens I have seen.

aliEnRIK's picture

My sony took a good week or two for the upscaling to look good (a run in period)

And I agree, you need a decent scart. Not sure what your using, but a THOR from amazon is a very good start point

Andy Clough's picture
MarkOB:

Mick,

Thanks for the tips, i'll look at all those. Havn't looked at blu-ray yet. Bought a Sony 370 to compliment the TV and are planning to "christen" it this weekend!

Thanks again

Mark

Mark, a TV like the Sony will really benefit from HD sources and you may need to take some time calibrating it properly. Turning off noise reduction and other such features can help. But as a previous poster said, standard definition pictures can vary in quality, especially when viewed on a larger screen. You should get much better results with your Blu-ray player.

Editor-in-Chief of What Hi-Fi? and whathifi.com

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Andy - while I agree - I would like to advise the OP that it is possible to get an excellent SD picture from this TV. Also, and perhaps I was lucky with this, the out of the box settings on mine were fine and I have not had to spend any time calibrating it. 

professorhat's picture

It does depend on what you're used to though. If you've come from a good quality CRT screen (which is designed to display standard definition sources), then even the best full HD flatscreen (which is designed to display high definition sources) isn't going to look as good with standard def - it just can't be done as the TV has to make up more than half the picture in upscaling to fill the screen.

Try a Blu-Ray and you'll be blown away by the picture though!

The owls are not what they seem...

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
professorhat:

It does depend on what you're used to though. If you've come from a good quality CRT screen (which is designed to display standard definition sources), then even the best full HD flatscreen (which is designed to display high definition sources) isn't going to look as good with standard def - it just can't be done as the TV has to make up more than half the picture in upscaling to fill the screen.

Try a Blu-Ray and you'll be blown away by the picture though!

I sugget to focus on turning all you see into HD; sat channels, swap your DVDïs to Blu Rays, get a nice Blu Ray player etc -  HD on a EX503 looks much better than SD on the best TV flagship money can buy.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

He's already told us he has a blu ray player.