Have your say & ask the experts!

Av forum declares verdict on Sony W905a. Probably the last review site to make its case

53 replies [Last post]
cheeseboy's picture
RE: Av forum declares verdict on Sony W905a.

mr malarky wrote:

The only TV manufacturers who seem to be making money are LG and Samsung, both of whom decided to continue investing in both technologies , so if there's an economic lesson to be learned here its that there is a distinct market for each technology and investing in both can bring crucial economies of scale for manufacturers struggling with low margins.

... it also helps that samsung and Lg produce tv's the average jo can afford, and also make display panels for a ton of other companies, especially for telephones.  That's going to help their bank balance no end after the smartphone boom recently.

proffski's picture
RE: The last and remaining

gel wrote:

I think the Sony's are the best LEDs, that is my opinion.  Smile

LCD backlit by LEDS... Smile

The_Lhc's picture

I wish I was a Mod, I'd be fascinated to compare Gamemaker's and z0whevs IP addresses...

Son_of_SJ's picture

Indeed! And both have deviated quite some way from the ostensible title of this thread.

gel
gel's picture

The_Lhc wrote:

I wish I was a Mod, I'd be fascinated to compare Gamemaker's and z0whevs IP addresses...

A troll for sure!

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

The_Lhc's picture

gel wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

A troll for sure!

I'm sure I don't know what you mean, I was just curious...

gel
gel's picture

The_Lhc wrote:

gel wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

A troll for sure!

I'm sure I don't know what you mean, I was just curious...

I meant both of them are trolls judging by all of their posts!  

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

Andrew Everard's picture

The_Lhc wrote:

Not even the same part of the country.

Audio Editor, Gramophone

The_Lhc's picture

Andrew Everard wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

Not even the same part of the country.

Fascinating, the similiarities in posting style must be my imagination. Like I said, just curious...

Gamemaker's picture

bigboss wrote:
Just 2 comments: 1) There's no need for a TV to compete with a phone on screen resolution, as you view your phone from 15-30cm distance. You'll never watch TV at that distance. 2) Even if similar technology is used, it is technically difficult to make larger screens. Besides, it's cheaper to manufacture phone screens as you make a lot more of them as compared to a TV screen of a particular size.

Big boss, you raised some tantalising responses and I appreciate your intellectual thinking.

Leaving Tv at 1080p is just not sound strategic business thinking. makes no consumer sense. Everything from phones and tablets even cameras are going beyond this 2mb size image. It does not have to be based OLED it can be just LED and affordable.

Now Plasma would not have a part in that future but say if Pansonic said - let us do a 4k plasma - would you say no? I really doubt you would or anyone else. The next level to the Zx and Vt range....tantalising? What is there not to like? We always find new ways to appreciate new technology. 

I hope it is not because 4k is another LED job that people are not wanting it.I have never been prejudicial on TV fomats unlike Z'

bigboss's picture

Of course, technology shouldn't stop at 1080p. What I meant was, that TVs don't have to compete with mobile phones and aim to develop screens with tightly packed pixels (446dpi or beyond).

4K & even 8K is welcome, but that has to match with content delivery. Unless the likes of Sky / Virgin commit to 4K, and there's development in blu ray (or other) technology to support 4K, or broadband is fast enough to support 4K streaming, there's no point in getting a 4K now. There's no infrastructure in the UK to support 4K currently.

I'll be interested in 4K, whether it's plasma, LED-lit LCD or OLED only if I know I'll be using the 4K feature and not merely and exclusively upscaling 576i, 720p & 1080p content.

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

Gamemaker wrote:

if Pansonic said - let us do a 4k plasma - would you say no?

It'd be near-impossible to manufacture 4K plasma televisions at current screen sizes.

This thread becomes stranger by the day.

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

Son_of_SJ's picture

By the hour! This thread started talking about the Sony W905a, remember ......

Pindi's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

Gamemaker wrote:

if Pansonic said - let us do a 4k plasma - would you say no?

It'd be near-impossible to manufacture 4K plasma televisions at current screen sizes.

This thread becomes stranger by the day.

Interesting you say that, Strapped...

Have you seen this beast?  http://www.costco.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/cos_1,cos_1.1,cos_1.1.1/142976

mr malarky's picture

Gamemaker wrote:

I hope it is not because 4k is another LED job that people are not wanting it.I have never been prejudicial on TV fomats unlike Z'

Can't speak for others but personally I'm very pro the development of 4k in principal - technical advancement should always be welcomed as it represents progression - I just think the screen technology has moved ahead of the content delivery platforms, and 4k will be a more appealing prospect when there's widely available 4k content to watch (as opposed to upscaling, which won't allow a 4k screen to do itself full justice).

I am expecting 4k OLED (when finally available at sensible prices) to offer a slightly better experience than 4k LED, primarily through what would hopefully be the dynamic range and black levels that OLED is claimed to deliver, but I would still be very happy to see a 4k LED set playing native 4k content

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P60ZT65B (calibrated), Pioneer SC-LX75, Denon DPB-2012, Sky-HD1TB, PS4, Xbox 360, Apple-TV, Atacama Equinox AV stand, Monitor Audio Silver RX8, RXC, RX-FX, RXW-12, Anti-Mode 8033c Sub EQ. Kitchen: Pioneer XC-HM81, Monitor Audio Bronze BX2. Bedroom: Samsung UE37D6510, Samsung BD-C5900, Sky-HD, Pioneer N-50, Rotel RC-03 (pre-amp), Rotel RB-9708X (power-amp), Mordaunt-Short MS914