37 posts / 0 new
Last post
JC1982's picture
RE: 2012 Panasonic TV reviews

Son_of_SJ wrote:

JC1982 wrote:

It's closer to the LED sets in terms of 'brightness' than the VT30 I guess but still with lovely deep blacks and a very natural looking picture. I think it is a nice looking set and well built too. Perhaps doesn't look as expensive as the VT30 but stylish nonethless and with a much slimmer bezel.

Thanks for that, but just to check, did you mean to compare the new ST50 with the VT30 (2011 models) or with the VT50 (2012 models)?

Hi, yes I was looking at the ST50 vs the VT30 2011 model (on clearance in the same store).

Son_of_SJ's picture

Thanks for that clarification!

JC1982 wrote:

I bought a 42ST50 from Richer Sounds in Prestwich this weekend. If you're looking to see one in Manchester they also have one on display in House of Fraser.

I think that is an amazing TV ans am very happy with my purchase!! It's closer to the LED sets in terms of 'brightness' than the VT30 I guess but still with lovely deep blacks and a very natural looking picture. I think it is a nice looking set and well built too. Perhaps doesn't look as expensive as the VT30 but stylish nonethless and with a much slimmer bezel.

You are endorsing what a review of (admittedly the 65" size) on AV Forums said of the ST50 plasma "The only ‘problem’ we foresee for Panasonic is that it’s so good that it might take away sales from their 65inch VT50.". Again, on Trusted Reviews speaking of the 65ST50 "The depth and purity of the black level performance from the P65ST50 feels pretty much in line with if not slightly better than the black level performance of last year’s flagship VT30 Panasonic plasmas. Plus it beats the black level efforts of any LED TV into a cocked hat and even, yes, its blacks appear to get deeper than that of Pioneer’s final released KURO generation." The general opinion is that the VT50 series is this year's best, but the ST50 series is not far behind and (if you don't need Freesat, the Ultra black filter or the better picture calibration tools of the VT50 series) may be the best value for most folk. I'm looking forward to seeing one when I visit Manchester, but I'm not expecting it to be quite as good as the wonderful 65VT50 that Nick at Home Cinema Centre showed me last week.

Son_of_SJ's picture

They have all been on an Atkins diet!!

One thing that NO magazine or online reviewer has mentioned so far about the new flagship VT50 series (I'm not sure if this is true of the GT50 and ST50 series also) is that it is significantly lighter that the preceding VT30 series. For instance, at the 65" size, the 65VT50 weighs 48 kg including desktop stand, whereas the previous 65VT30 weighed 63 kg. The new model is 23.8% lighter!! Maybe Panasonic are using a different type of glass for the front panel? Or perhaps it's partly due to the shameful exclusion of a 15-pin VGA input to connect to older computers .....

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Hi There,

I am have seen a TX-P42UT50B in Costco for £540, looking on panasonics web site it seems to be of the 2012 range, I can't find much in the way of reviews or opinions of this tv on the internet I'm hoping you guys can help.

I know the ST version gets very good reviews, but would it be worth the extra 300/400 quid? bearing in mind I’m on a budget... here are the specs as per the web site, your opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. 

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/VIERA+Flat+Screen+TV/2012+Smart+VIERA+Plasma+TV/TX-P42UT50B/Overview/9035075/index.html

Thanks

Son_of_SJ's picture

Well, I can't find a review of the 42" version that you want of the Panasonic UT50 series, but here is a review of the 50" version:

http://www.avforums.com/review/Panasonic-UT50-TX-P50UT50B-P42UT50B-P50UT50-P42UT50-42-50-Inch-Full-HD-3D-Plasma-TV-Review.html ;

Just for comparison, here, in the same organ, is a review of the 50" ST50 series:

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-ST50-TX-P50ST50B-P42ST50B-P55ST50B-P65ST50B-50-Inch-3D-Plasma-TV_281/Review.html ;

And you should look at this discussion comparing some of the various Panasonic series:

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-ST50-TX-P50ST50B-P42ST50B-P55ST50B-P65ST50B-50-Inch-3D-Plasma-TV_281/Review.html ;

Make sure that you look at post number 47, about reflectivity issues.

Hope this helps!

gel's picture

Son_of_SJ wrote:

They have all been on an Atkins diet!!

One thing that NO magazine or online reviewer has mentioned so far about the new flagship VT50 series (I'm not sure if this is true of the GT50 and ST50 series also) is that it is significantly lighter that the preceding VT30 series. For instance, at the 65" size, the 65VT50 weighs 48 kg including desktop stand, whereas the previous 65VT30 weighed 63 kg. The new model is 23.8% lighter!! Maybe Panasonic are using a different type of glass for the front panel? Or perhaps it's partly due to the shameful exclusion of a 15-pin VGA input to connect to older computers .....

In the latest issue of Home Cinema Choice they comment upon the size change.  

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

strapped for cash's picture

Andy Clough wrote:

Manufacturers like Panasonic often split review samples between different magazines and websites, which is why in this instance we've received a number of GT, VT, WT and ET models, while other publications have received the ST models. That's Panasonic's decision, not ours.

Also, with each TV manufacturer having a huge number of models in its range (often 40-50) we simply can't test every single one. I know this may be disappointing for anyone interested in a particular model, but we have to strike a sensible balance between the number of TVs we review and other products.

I think several of us are keen to see a WHF review of the ST50 because it potentially represents the sweet spot in Panasonic's 2012 television range and might be the best value television on offer this year.

At the same time, I appreciate that review samples are sent out according to the manufacturer's priorities. Is it possible to lean on Panasonic here? There answer may be no, but thought it was worth asking, nonetheless...

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Thanks for the links Son of SJ!!

I have an iMac with a glass screen that suffers from reflections pretty badly due to the shiny screen surface. This is pretty annoying in my flat at the moment which is very open and has lots of light, a 42 inch screen with this will be even worse to live with.

I think im going to hold out for the ST if I can get a good price for one. Sounds like an awesome tv!

Dont want to spark off a massive debate but whats the pro/cons in choosing plasma over LED? which one is better? I've always been a massive plasma fan over LCD screens, we have an 4 ish year old 42 inch panasonic plasma which I absolutly love at my parents house. The picture quality is much better than newer/fancier LCD screens for both SD and blu rays... but LED's i dont know much about?

Thanks!

Andy Clough's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

Andy Clough wrote:

Manufacturers like Panasonic often split review samples between different magazines and websites, which is why in this instance we've received a number of GT, VT, WT and ET models, while other publications have received the ST models. That's Panasonic's decision, not ours.

Also, with each TV manufacturer having a huge number of models in its range (often 40-50) we simply can't test every single one. I know this may be disappointing for anyone interested in a particular model, but we have to strike a sensible balance between the number of TVs we review and other products.

I think several of us are keen to see a WHF review of the ST50 because it potentially represents the sweet spot in Panasonic's 2012 television range and might be the best value television on offer this year.

At the same time, I appreciate that review samples are sent out according to the manufacturer's priorities. Is it possible to lean on Panasonic here? There answer may be no, but thought it was worth asking, nonetheless...

We can certainly ask for a Pana ST50, but no guarantee we'll get one...

Editor-in-Chief of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and whathifi.com

Son_of_SJ's picture

gel wrote:

Can you tell me the exact issue and maybe even the page number? I get HCC also and I can't seem to find any comment on the weight reduction of this year's VT50 series compared to last year's VT30 series.

Son_of_SJ's picture

I don't think that I'm allowed to give the exact link, but if you search for "26-minute video Panasonic TVs" you can find a video discussing the whole range (LCDs, LEDs and plasmas) of 2012 Panasonic TVs, including the possible demise of the plasma GT series!

gel's picture

Son_of_SJ wrote:

gel wrote:

Can you tell me the exact issue and maybe even the page number? I get HCC also and I can't seem to find any comment on the weight reduction of this year's VT50 series compared to last year's VT30 series.

Hi

Yeah sure, it is issue 210, August 2012 page 53 but is was a comment on the weight reduction in general of this years range they make, which is what I thought you were talking about - The Prince of Darkness Returns review.  You have probably read the St50 review then too in issue 208 - two great reviews.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

gel's picture

Son_of_SJ wrote:

I don't think that I'm allowed to give the exact link, but if you search for "26-minute video Panasonic TVs" you can find a video discussing the whole range (LCDs, LEDs and plasmas) of 2012 Panasonic TVs, including the possible demise of the plasma GT series!

Yeah I saw that it was good.   Yeah Panasonic sound like big changes could be coming with their TV business.  If they go belly up I will probably buy another one.

Son_of_SJ's picture

gel wrote:

Yeah sure, it is issue 210, August 2012 page 53 but is was a comment on the weight reduction in general of this years range they make, which is what I thought you were talking about - The Prince of Darkness Returns review.

Well, I must need new glasses (perhaps I should get 3D ones, ho-ho!) because I can't seem to see any mention in that article about weight loss (of the 2012 TVs compared with the 2011 TVs). About improved energy efficiency, yes. But no matter. It's good enough that the VT50 series (according to Panasonic's own PDF brochures about the various series) is indeed lighter than the VT30 series. A similar comparison can't easily be made for the 65" ST50 series compared to its predecessor because last year the ST30 series didn't go up to 65" (at least not in Britain, though it did in America).

gel wrote:

You have probably read the St50 review then too in issue 208 - two great reviews.

Indeed so, gel, as is the one of the Panasonic TX-P65ST50 on page 62 of the September 2012 What Hi-Fi issue!

Son_of_SJ's picture

Andy Clough wrote:

We can certainly ask for a Pana ST50, but no guarantee we'll get one...

Well, at 1pm my subscription copy of the September 2012 issue of What Hi-Fi was lying on my mat! I'm so pleased that What Hi-Fi joins the other expert reviewers in liking muchly the Panasonic ST50 series plasma TV, in this particular case the 65" size. That will be my Christmas present to me. I'm hoping that in Manchester this coming weekend, when I actually see one, I will be able to see it side by side with the VT50 series.

Just one query about the highly favourable, and five-star, What Hi-Fi review - the review says that the TX-P65ST50 does not accept an RGB Scart. I understand that it does accept a Scart, but via an adaptor, which is supplied with the set.

Pages