Have your say & ask the experts!

what turntable would suit a marantz pm6003

5 replies [Last post]
muffinski's picture

I am thinking about buying the classic marantz cd6003 and marantz pm6003 set up. Any advice on what would be a good turntable to match. I would be mainly playing vinyl so would allow a budget of upto £500.

daskeg's picture
Re: what turntable would suit a marantz pm6003

I had the same combo for 6 months and was perfectly happy with my pro-ject debut in that set up.

I'm sure others would probably suggest the Rega P2 or P3.  Plenty of other options if you go 2nd hand.

Linn Sondek (full Inspire vivid kit)> Linn Akito> Ortofon 2m blue

Marantz CD6003>QED performance>Arcam rDAC (wireless version)>Merlin Mozart>Rothwell Attenuators

Yamaha CT1010>Chord Crimson

Yamaha CA1000>Merlin C12

Monitor Audio RX6

Grado SR60i

John Duncan's picture

Yes, 500 quid will buy you a lot of turntable, especially second hand. In fact, I went digging to see what was available and I want a turntable again. Besides the obvious Rega and Project decks you can buy new for that money, there are some incredible bargains on the second hand market. A clearaudio solution with origin live arm - the second most beautiful turntable in the world - just went for 650 quid on eBay, which is amazing, I just sold my Project RPM5.2 for less than 250 quid, and the local hifi shop has a Rega P25 (kicks P3 butt) for 400 quid with a short warranty. So that gives you an idea of what's available within budget.

The phono stage on the Marantz is a good starting point, but obviously a better deck will benefit from a better phono stage in the fullness of time.

Cambridge Audio StreamMagic 6  |  751BD  |  651A  |  Diamond 9.1 | Minx Xi | Sonos Play:3

Moderator. mail: john.duncan.whf at the mail of g dot com

Simon OW's picture

Forget looks - buy a Techie and tinker forever more.

fatboyslimfast's picture

I'm not sure JD fancies being tinkered with...

Sources: Technics SL1210Mk2 with Denon DL110/AT-95E, Mac Mini, Virgin V+.

Amplification: Cyrus 2.

Speakers: Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearls with Fisual Super Pearl 2.5mm cable.

Other kit: More than I should have. My loft is creaking.

John Duncan's picture

Well since Simon sits in the same office as me, if he tries it he'll get a slap.

Cambridge Audio StreamMagic 6  |  751BD  |  651A  |  Diamond 9.1 | Minx Xi | Sonos Play:3

Moderator. mail: john.duncan.whf at the mail of g dot com