27 posts / 0 new
Last post
kdee69's picture
RE: Turntable, sound and amplifier for under £500

OMG :pray:  Now I'm completely lost!

So, I need a turntable, and an amp and the other piece of kit?

I'm sorry to ask what must seem dumb questions but I jsut can't get my head around it

chebby's picture

Just buy what you originally listed in your first post. (Including the speakers you were going to get.)

The Denon amp you mentioned already has a phono input built-in.

Ok he may end up with some Bluetooth speakers as well but i'm sure they'll come in useful.

Or you could just hint or something to put him off buying them for now.

Strapping a set of Bluetooth speakers to a seperate phono stage and a turntable won't sound anywhere near as good as what you intended to get in the first place. (Even if it's possible given that most Bluetooth speaker don't have the connections you'd need.)

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture

No! Ok baby steps...

you were going to buy a system with the Denon 520AE the already has a phono stage or phono pre amp built in, so no need for a external one. 

But as you told us that your son was going to buy a Blutooth speakers, and if the speakers have blutooth built in probably they will have a built in amp as well, so no need for the Denon any more, but you still need the phono stage for the TT. 

So it is important to know brand and model of the speakers set that your son eventualy will buy, to know if it is possible to integrate the TT that you want to give to him!

First of all the Blutooth speakers will need to have a analogue input so you can connect the TT through the phono stage into it. 

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture

chebby wrote:

Just buy what you originally listed in your first post. (Including the speakers you were going to get.)

The Denon amp you mentioned already has a phono input built-in.

Ok he may end up with some Bluetooth speakers as well but i'm sure they'll come in useful.

Or you could just hint or something to put him off buying them for now.

Strapping a set of Bluetooth speakers to a seperate phono stage and a turntable won't sound anywhere near as good as what you intended to get in the first place. (Even if it's possible given that most Bluetooth speaker don't have the connections you'd need.)

if it is a speaker set like this is no need for amp and it will soud good as a conventional system, plus this set have RCAs input! 

So as i've state it will be important to know brand and model.

but Chebby is right, if you manage to put him off and not buying the speakers for now and give him the inicial set! 

http://www.qacoustics.co.uk/q-acoustics-bt3-bluetooth-speakers.htm#juicered

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture

stevebrock wrote:

Hifi Outlaw - noticed you have upgraded your RP3 to RP6, did you notice a big improvement? 

Hi,

go here Steve.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/turntables-and-lps/today-tomorow

:cheers:

kdee69's picture

ok, so finally he's decided on speakers. They are the Sonos 5 - they are the only Sonos that have a line in. So, i'm definetly getting the pro-ject debut carbon , I'd really now like to confirm that I just need a "pre-amp"? Is that correct? and if so, can anyone recommend one around the £100 -£130 mark that's good?

Anderson's picture

The Sonos 5 does have analogue in, so all you would need to buy is the TT, the phono pre amp & cabling.

However, I think you should stick with your original plan, tell Jim to buy the Sonos Connect instead as it will give him all the functionality of the Sonos and all the sound quality of what you're getting. Honestly tell him to get the Sonos Connect and you'll get the rest..

kdee69's picture

Hi, he;s already bought the Sonos 5 - just my luck Sad

so, can anyone recomemend a pre amp for about the £100 - £130 mark ? I've seen this - is that ok and would it do what I need it to do

Rega Fono Mini A2D Phono Pre-Amplifier (Moving Magnet

And just confrim from your expert view if the turntable and the amp are all that he would need? Someone mentioned a cable some way back when?

thanks all - really appreciate your help

fatman's picture

If you still have a £500 budget for turntable & phono stage, I'd recommend calling Lintone Audio..... You could get a Rega RP3 'slight seconds' and the, currently discounted, Rega Fono MM.  There was quite alot of posting on the RP3 seconds when they hit the shelves and all positive.

The RP3 is a big step up from the RP1 (as is the MM from the A2D).  

Lintone also stock the Project Debut Carbon.  Whatever turntable you go for I'd definitely consider the discounted Rega Fono MM

http://www.lintone.co.uk/special-offers/rega-fono-mm-phono-stage-silver-3425-148-4173.php

fatman's picture
I think the Audio Technica turntables have built in phono preamp which would complement the simplicity of the Sonos 5.   http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-14051-audio-technica-atlp1240usb-usb-dj-turntable.aspx?_$ja=cgid:3652072822|tsid:52064|cid:84819382|lid:37793734342|nw:search|crid:44764963342|dvc:c|adp:1o2|bku:1&gclid=CMrIjdPAl78CFSfLtAod_hgA9g (you'd need a cartridge too) Personally I'd go for the Rega combo.
nima's picture

Let's not introduce more confusion here.

RP1 is perfectly good choice, it's great choice actually, much better than Audio Technica.

The same goes for Rega Fono Mini.

If RP3 + Rega Fono (not Mini) can be had for similar money to RP1 + Fono Mini, that's another great option.

The dealer will be able to advise on cables.

Pages