Have your say & ask the experts!

Thinking of plonking my ProJect Debut Carbon on this?

22 replies [Last post]
gooner26's picture
Offline
Joined: 9 Sep 2007
Posts: 363

Will it be ok for this? Do not want anything bolted to my bedroom wall, just something sturdy, simple and neat!

 

Best

Danny

floyd droid's picture
Online
Joined: 5 Sep 2008
Posts: 2654
RE: Thinking of plonking my ProJect Debut Carbon on this?

Looks a teeny weeny bit on the small side mate. Try again as there is nowt showing in the foatie dpt .

gooner26's picture
Offline
Joined: 9 Sep 2007
Posts: 363
RE: Thinking of plonking my ProJect Debut Carbon on this?

sorry, totally messed up there!

 

gooner26's picture
Offline
Joined: 9 Sep 2007
Posts: 363
RE: Thinking of plonking my ProJect Debut Carbon on this?

The pic shows first of all then doesn't show after I've sent it. Never mind. 

 

This is the best i can do I'm afraid. 

 

http://store.atacama-audio.co.uk/p/equinox-hi-fi-single-shelf-180mm

chebby's picture
Online
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Posts: 15308
RE: Thinking of plonking my ProJect Debut Carbon on this?
__________________

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

gooner26's picture
Offline
Joined: 9 Sep 2007
Posts: 363
RE: Thinking of plonking my ProJect Debut Carbon on this?

Thanks chebby. 

The Atacama one i have my eye on is £85

 

do i really need an ultra stable support? Will a cheap  small table really do?

 

regards

danny

chebby's picture
Online
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Posts: 15308
RE: Thinking of plonking my ProJect Debut Carbon on this?

gooner26 wrote:

Thanks chebby. 

The Atacama one i have my eye on is £85

do i really need an ultra stable support? Will a cheap  small table really do?

Yes. Especially the second one. Very solid and stable. (And the Atacama only has three legs which is hardly stable.)

Purpose built AV/hi-fi stands are mostly hokum and always overpriced.

__________________

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

gooner26's picture
Offline
Joined: 9 Sep 2007
Posts: 363
RE: Thinking of plonking my ProJect Debut Carbon on this?

Well that's more money saved. Thanks for that chebby!

 

Im blind buying my first ever Turntable to plug into my M80. I've heard from a couple of Meridian experts the M80 will not let me down. It's incredible with a Squeezebox Touch so expecting great things hopefully!

 

Just purchased my first ever Vinyl to, The National, Trouble will find me, Jimi Hendrix, Axis bold as love & Wild Nothing, Nocturne

jcarruthers's picture
Offline
Joined: 29 Jan 2013
Posts: 223
RE: Thinking of plonking my ProJect Debut Carbon on this?

Hmmmm three legs are more stable than four — how many wobbly three legged stools have you ever come across compared to four legged tables?

Having said this — I do plan to buy one of those Ikea tables to put my hifi one — my amp and DAC will fit perfectly on the shelf underneath

 

__________________

Rega RP6 w/ Dynavector 10X5 & Gus's Subplatter & ME Technoweight & ME VTA adjuster | Rega DAC | Rega Brio-R | B&W 601 S3 | Rega Ear Mk2 | Grado SR60

Chord CrimsonPlus | Audioquest FLX/SLiP 14/4

Arcam rPAC | AKG K550

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Nov 2009
Posts: 3602
RE: Thinking of plonking my ProJect Debut Carbon on this?

Quote:

Purpose built AV/hi-fi stands are mostly hokum and always overpriced.

yeah like how the EDITED 'the bass tightens up with this rack'

what a load of rubbish ffs

Mind you Hifi Racks Podium are reeeaally nice Smile

__________________

Icon Audio ST40 III / KT88, Rega Apollo R, DAC, RS3

Rega RP6, Nagaoka MP-200, White Belt, Michell Tecnoweight, Rega Fono MM

Rega Quattro, Couple 1 & 2

 

 

 

 

 

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11410
RE: Thinking of plonking my ProJect Debut Carbon on this?

stevebrock wrote:

yeah like how the EDITED 'the bass tightens up with this rack'

what a load of rubbish ffs

Mind you Hifi Racks Podium are reeeaally nice Smile

IME. A rack "can" make a difference.

IE. Things like:

- Material/s that it's made of

- The design

- How effectively it isolates the components on it from vibration

- Whether it lets resonance within components drain out

- How solid it is

Here is Lavardin's take on it (What is the best rack to put an amplifier): http://www.lavardin.com/lavardin-faqE.html#support

Then again, I could be completely wrong. 

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

Captain Duff's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 125
RE: Thinking of plonking my ProJect Debut Carbon on this?

I disagree with Chebby on this one. Yes, over-priced racks for digital componants can be questioned (do 1's and 0's really care?), but if ever there was a need to isolate a piece of hifi equipment from either vibrations through the floor from the speakers, or footfall on wooden sprung floors, it is a TT. Plus of course better quality racks or shelves allow far easier levelling, that again is vital for TT's.

The other factor here is that cheap solid plinth TT designs such as Rega (sorry!) don't have the benefit of a sprung sub-chassis (like, for example, Thorens and Linn decks) to absorb many of the outside vibrations that are so easy to trransmit through a stylus and back out into the room. In other words unless you properly isolate your deck you risk getting a rather muddy sound.

The best solution for a Rega, particularly with wooden floors, is a wall shelf (assuming the wall is solid and not modern flimsy vibrating internal plasterboard over a wooden frame). Failing that a table that allows both levelling (adjustable spikes, like on floorstanding speakers) and a de-coupling shelf system is best. You can often get s/h bargains on ebay, and for a vinyl centered system using a solid plinth deck like a Rega it is probably the best upgrade you will ever make.

 

Oh, and incidentally, a 3 legged design is in theory inherently better as the problem with four legs is unless you can carefully adjust them you risk having a rocking motion (sometimes a very small one, but potentially one that will affect the sound of a TT) where two of the four legs make better contact on an uneven floor or where the bottom spikes are poorly adjusted (same thing happens with speakers). It is for that reason that a lot of isolation platforms come with 3 feet or spikes under them rather than 4.

__________________

Thorens 166 BC MkVI turntable, Origin Live Alliance tonearm, Goldring 2200 cartridge; Opera Consonance 120 Linear CD player; Denon DNP-720AE media player; Sugden Mystro amplifier; MS Aviano 8 speakers.

chebby's picture
Online
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Posts: 15308
RE: Thinking of plonking my ProJect Debut Carbon on this?

Captain Duff wrote:

I disagree with Chebby on this one. Yes, over-priced racks for digital componants can be questioned (do 1's and 0's really care?), but if ever there was a need to isolate a piece of hifi equipment from either vibrations through the floor from the speakers, or footfall on wooden sprung floors, it is a TT. Plus of course better quality racks or shelves allow far easier levelling, that again is vital for TT's.

The other factor here is that cheap solid plinth TT designs such as Rega (sorry!) don't have the benefit of a sprung sub-chassis (like, for example, Thorens and Linn decks) to absorb many of the outside vibrations that are so easy to trransmit through a stylus and back out into the room. In other words unless you properly isolate your deck you risk getting a rather muddy sound.

The best solution for a Rega, particularly with wooden floors, is a wall shelf (assuming the wall is solid and not modern flimsy vibrating internal plasterboard over a wooden frame). Failing that a table that allows both levelling (adjustable spikes, like on floorstanding speakers) and a de-coupling shelf system is best. You can often get s/h bargains on ebay, and for a vinyl centered system using a solid plinth deck like a Rega it is probably the best upgrade you will ever make.

The OP already stated that any wall mounting was a no-no...

"Do not want anything bolted to my bedroom wall"

He proposed to use a single 180mm level from an Atacama rack unit instead...

... presumably on the floor or a piece of furniture.

A sturdy, solid wood table (500mm height), like the one I suggested, with a shelf to brace it seemed far better. (And levelling is not a problem if you have solid wood legs to fit something like these ball and socket, levelling/locking feet...

 

__________________

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

jcarruthers's picture
Offline
Joined: 29 Jan 2013
Posts: 223
RE: Thinking of plonking my ProJect Debut Carbon on this?

Chebby — where do you find those feet?

 

__________________

Rega RP6 w/ Dynavector 10X5 & Gus's Subplatter & ME Technoweight & ME VTA adjuster | Rega DAC | Rega Brio-R | B&W 601 S3 | Rega Ear Mk2 | Grado SR60

Chord CrimsonPlus | Audioquest FLX/SLiP 14/4

Arcam rPAC | AKG K550

chebby's picture
Online
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Posts: 15308
RE: Thinking of plonking my ProJect Debut Carbon on this?

jcarruthers wrote:

Chebby — where do you find those feet?

http://www.arnott-group.co.uk/adjustable_feet/

__________________

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

Al ears's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Nov 2008
Posts: 2427
RE: Thinking of plonking my ProJect Debut Carbon on this?

Personally I find a folded beer mat is perfectly adequate for levelling. Smile

It's about time HiFi Racks did  three-legged design.

__________________

Origin Live Aurora Gold+Illustrious Mk2 arm+Zyx R100-02/Stello CDT200+Stello DA220 dac/Tom Evans Groove Anniversary phono amp/Tom Evans Vibe preamp/Linear A power amp/Acoustic Zen Adagios/Chord cables/Oppo 105EU.