38 posts / 0 new
Last post
plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16976
Tempted!
English

I'm just a little tempted http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roksan-Xerxses-RB250-ATFS-Complete-/150732699585?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item23185e77c1 but have no idea about this particular TT.

So will it be a vast improvement on my current TT? or a total overkill with my current set-up.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

DIB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 21/05/2009 - 21:07
Posts: 2387
RE: Tempted!

Looks in very good nick, fully serviced, and a 100% rating so go for it!!! 

 

Nice drive up to Edinburgh?

 

(easy to say with someone else's money Smile)

 

Wouldn't know how it compares with your current Pro-Ject but I reckon it certainly will look better (to my eyes anyway)

.

 

 

Creek/ProJect/SBT/Epos

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16976
RE: Tempted!

Certainly looks the biz and I know they used to retail for a lot of dosh, and no idea of Roksan's TT presentation.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

CJSF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 25/05/2011 - 19:24
Posts: 2115
RE: Tempted!

I'd go for it PP . . . the only down side, it has a few days run, might be heavy bidding in the last few minutes, brush up on the 'sniping technique' . . . ? 

CJSF

PS just spotted the BIN price . . . ??? :?  I'd still do it, he might take an offer?

floyd droid's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/09/2008 - 17:39
Posts: 2755
RE: Tempted!

PP. Contact the seller and ask him if the refurbishment included sorting out any platter sag. I would guess it did. But matey says zip about it in his listing. Also how old is it as i think thats a MK1 and ruddy expensive. One went on the bay back in august for 186 quid.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16976
RE: Tempted!

floyd droid wrote:

PP. Contact the seller and ask him if the refurbishment included sorting out any platter sag. I would guess it did. But matey says zip about it in his listing. Also how old is it as i think thats a MK1 and ruddy expensive. One went on the bay back in august for 186 quid.

Already emailed with all the relevant questions. Fingers crossed.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16976
RE: Tempted!

CJSF wrote:

I'd go for it PP . . . the only down side, it has a few days run, might be heavy bidding in the last few minutes, brush up on the 'sniping technique' . . . ? 

CJSF

PS just spotted the BIN price . . . ??? :?  I'd still do it, he might take an offer?

Cheers CJ - I've mailed the seller a bunch of questions. Let's see how it goes Smile

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

CJSF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 25/05/2011 - 19:24
Posts: 2115
RE: Tempted!

plastic penguin wrote:

CJSF wrote:

I'd go for it PP . . . the only down side, it has a few days run, might be heavy bidding in the last few minutes, brush up on the 'sniping technique' . . . ? 

CJSF

PS just spotted the BIN price . . . ??? :?  I'd still do it, he might take an offer?

Cheers CJ - I've mailed the seller a bunch of questions. Let's see how it goes Smile

Take heed of 'Floyd' . . . sounds like he knows something?

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16976
RE: Tempted!

CJSF wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

CJSF wrote:

I'd go for it PP . . . the only down side, it has a few days run, might be heavy bidding in the last few minutes, brush up on the 'sniping technique' . . . ? 

CJSF

PS just spotted the BIN price . . . ??? :?  I'd still do it, he might take an offer?

Cheers CJ - I've mailed the seller a bunch of questions. Let's see how it goes Smile

Take heed of 'Floyd' . . . sounds like he knows something?

Yup - covered in email.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16976
RE: Tempted!

Had a reply back from the seller saying the platter sag has been rectified. Up until recently I've never heard of this problem. Can someone enlighten me on how often this happens on the Roksan or how to avoid it?

In addition, he says the TT is 22 years old. I have no idea about 22 year old hi-end TTs, so really back to my original subject matter: How will this compare with modern price compatible TTs?

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

CJSF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 25/05/2011 - 19:24
Posts: 2115
RE: Tempted!

plastic penguin wrote:

Had a reply back from the seller saying the platter sag has been rectified. Up until recently I've never heard of this problem. Can someone enlighten me on how often this happens on the Roksan or how to avoid it?

In addition, he says the TT is 22 years old. I have no idea about 22 year old hi-end TTs, so really back to my original subject matter: How will this compare with modern price compatible TTs?

 

Floyd says he saw one go for £186 . . . I'd tend to be looking at the biding with my sniping hat on, and set a limit? . . . 22 years, serviced, with power supply, its 'suspended' against 'solid' . . . where are you putting it, does it need a suspended TT?

Personal view, my P5 new, costs around £750'ish . . . as a solid TT it does need careful sitting as I have, this week found out.  A problem I have temporarily resolved, however the problem has been highlighted and will need a permanent solution, no problem.  The question one asks, how affected by sitting are sprung TT's, I seem to remember there was always recommendations of light supports, behind speakers or in alcoves . . . same as solids?

In terms of sound quality, all things being equal, and from my processes over the past 6 months, I'd put my P5 in the ring as a contender.  It, along with the entry level Croft integrated amp and 20 year old PMC speakers have always stepped up to the plate and delivered, when its been wrong, it was usually down to me! . . .

I now duck as all the flack flies from the sprung TT brigade starts, this is only IMHO . . . :?  CJSF

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23081
RE: Tempted!

Cost for you to exchange is going to be 5-600 quid.  You could get a Project Speedbox and a much better cartridge, and still have lots of money left over...

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16976
RE: Tempted!

John Duncan wrote:

Cost for you to exchange is going to be 5-600 quid.  You could get a Project Speedbox and a much better cartridge, and still have lots of money left over...

This'll show my naivety - what does a speedbox actually do? Is it a box of tricks that connects directly to my current TT?

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12803
RE: Tempted!

plastic penguin wrote:

In addition, he says the TT is 22 years old. I have no idea about 22 year old hi-end TTs, so really back to my original subject matter: How will this compare with modern price compatible TTs?

Here is what I've found out:
Supposedly the first suspended TT to "better" the LP12. Super tight and clean sound, with excellent transients. Less musical than the Sondek, but more natural. Sagging plinth top-plates make them a dubious used buy.

Having owned the LP12, I agree with CJ on the "light but stable" stand for that type of TT.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23081
RE: Tempted!

plastic penguin wrote:

John Duncan wrote:

Cost for you to exchange is going to be 5-600 quid.  You could get a Project Speedbox and a much better cartridge, and still have lots of money left over...

This'll show my naivety - what does a speedbox actually do? Is it a box of tricks that connects directly to my current TT?

Yes, it's a quartz-controlled power supply to make it run at exactly 33.33 rpm more consistently.  There are two versions, one more accurate (and expensive) than the other IIRC.  It also allows electronic speed change from 33 to 45, if that's any use to you.

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23081
RE: Tempted!

CnoEvil wrote:
Supposedly the first non-suspended TT to "better" the LP12

Shirley?

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

Pages

Log in or register to post comments