Have your say & ask the experts!

Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

170 replies [Last post]
The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 12617
RE: Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

CJSF wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

CJSF wrote:
Last night, it was some new music by Tom Jones on BBC iPlayer, amazing sound quality, simple music with real feeling.

Is that the gig that featured Seasick Steve? I saw most of that, left me absolutely stone cold, I don't understand this sudden reverance towards Tom Jones, as if he's some kind of authentic source for gospel and blues, he just isn't. Singing something in a low, gruff voice isn't the same as singing it with real emotion.

That isn't a personal dig at your either CJ, you just happened to be the person who mentioned Tom Jones, nothing more than a coincidence.

Ah well, each to his own The_Lhc, to me and Hazel, it was easy, relaxed, uncomplicated music making,

Oh yeah, I wouldn't question that, I just didn't get any sense of feeling from his vocals.

Quote:
IMHO, but then, we like that type of music . . . I am not a particular fan of Tom Jones, especially as 'medallion man', however this new style, I happen to like. I do search out gospel and blues on Spotify. Personal choice.

I'm not averse to that myself, although I prefer early blues, if anyone mentions Gary Moore or even Clapton I'm liable to explode, I don't know what they play but it isn't the Blues.

Quote:
Feature Seasick Steve, not a favourit of mine . . .

I quite like him, one man and his single string homemade plank guitar, doesn't get much simpler and he tells a good story (I've got one of his on vinyl, can't remember what it's called, but it's decent sound quality), he's also singing from experience unlike Mr Jones, which, for me at least, is crucial for this kind of music. Anyway, I only mentioned him to make sure we were talking about the same gig.

CJSF's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 1868
RE: Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

The_Lhc wrote:

CJSF wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

CJSF wrote:
Last night, it was some new music by Tom Jones on BBC iPlayer, amazing sound quality, simple music with real feeling.

Is that the gig that featured Seasick Steve? I saw most of that, left me absolutely stone cold, I don't understand this sudden reverance towards Tom Jones, as if he's some kind of authentic source for gospel and blues, he just isn't. Singing something in a low, gruff voice isn't the same as singing it with real emotion.

That isn't a personal dig at your either CJ, you just happened to be the person who mentioned Tom Jones, nothing more than a coincidence.

Ah well, each to his own The_Lhc, to me and Hazel, it was easy, relaxed, uncomplicated music making,

Oh yeah, I wouldn't question that, I just didn't get any sense of feeling from his vocals.

Quote:
IMHO, but then, we like that type of music . . . I am not a particular fan of Tom Jones, especially as 'medallion man', however this new style, I happen to like. I do search out gospel and blues on Spotify. Personal choice.

I'm not averse to that myself, although I prefer early blues, if anyone mentions Gary Moore or even Clapton I'm liable to explode, I don't know what they play but it isn't the Blues.

Quote:
Feature Seasick Steve, not a favourit of mine . . .

I quite like him, one man and his single string homemade plank guitar, doesn't get much simpler and he tells a good story (I've got one of his on vinyl, can't remember what it's called, but it's decent sound quality), he's also singing from experience unlike Mr Jones, which, for me at least, is crucial for this kind of music. Anyway, I only mentioned him to make sure we were talking about the same gig.

The word for me is 'uncomplicated' or 'simple', that gig fitted the bill, it was not the artist involved, in fact, I only stumbled across it channel clicking . . . and thats where I always seem to split . . . if I like something, I like it, regardless of who is performing, I dont follow a specific individual, or style, I cant, my dyslexic memory for names and the like is so poor, I have to take what comes . . . ? The highlight for me was the feature presentation by 'the Staves' . . . I just love harmony, I shall watch their space?  Seasick Steve, he certainly has a way and energy on the guitar, nice old valve amp he was using too.

CJSF

 

Oldenbroke's picture
Offline
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 119
RE: Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

I took a punt on Antonio Forcione & Sabina Sciubba -

"Meet Me in London" on the Naim label. Not a jazz fan

but the sound is wonderful. I'll definitely listen to more

of his guitar. Cool

__________________

Sony KDL-40W2000; Onkyo TXSR-875; Q-Acoustics 2010i / 2000 +  bipolar rears; Panny BDT220; Sky HD box.

Rega RP6 Exact + Fono / Rega Brio-r / Rega RS3 & Chord Carnival Silverscreen.

 

DandyCobalt's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Oct 2010
Posts: 1447
RE: Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

Managed to get the lounge to myself this morning, without having to put bjork on Wink

First listen of Alt-J "An Awesome Wave" on vinyl. Bought this one blind, although almost didn't when I heard that Mumford and co had covered one of the songs.

This is so much better than Mumford, although similarities are there. A lot cleverer and more creative. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, as does move around and change style a bit, but very well produced  and good quality recording( even on white vinyl).

Download code included.

__________________

Pioneer tv + LX85, Sony HW15 Proj, Cyrus DAC XP+/Mono X300/CDXTSE2/PSXRx2, Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands and Maestro centre, B&W CM1 surrounds /PV1D (9.1), CA BD751, Virgin TiVo, Inspire Rega t/t, Benz Glider MC, EAR 834P phono amp; Slee Novo Headphone Amp.TQ Black.

CJSF's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 1868
RE: Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

Oldenbroke wrote:

I took a punt on Antonio Forcione & Sabina Sciubba -

"Meet Me in London" on the Naim label. Not a jazz fan

but the sound is wonderful. I'll definitely listen to more

of his guitar. Cool

 

I enjoy a bit of jazz, dont profess to understand much of it, but I do enjoy it . . . Looked up 'Antonio Forcione' on Spotify, superb, whilst I was there I bumped into 'Julie Dunn & the John Holder Trio', as well as legend that is 'Thelonious Monk' . . . they are all on my play list for further listening at the witching hours of Horlicks.

CJSF

jimbofisher's picture
Offline
Joined: 17 Aug 2007
Posts: 357
RE: Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

Having recently got back from holiday I have been able to play these two, only arrived day before holiday.

 

The XX - Coexist. This is very very good, lots of space and deep bass. Nice heavy vinyl, gatefold sleev with full book too.

Yeasayer - Fragrant World. Also very good, lots going on but is handled very well, double album on white and blue vinyl, gatefold sleeve.

 

Both thoroughly recommended and as a bonus both had cds with them for the ipod/iphone.

 

Looking forward to Flaming Lips - Heady Fwends being delivered.

__________________

Rega Planar 2 (Inspire Quest upgrade) with Nagaoka MP-150 cartridge, into Graham Slee Era Gold V

Arcam cd73, Squeezebox Touch fed by 2t Vortexbox, CD and Touch into Rega Dac, Arcam A80, Mission 773se Speakers

geordie777's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 May 2012
Posts: 114
RE: Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

The latest offering from Mr Lydon is superb double album gatefold sleeve and sq is excellent only drawback no download code. 

__________________

Rega RP1 Golding 2100 Cart. Marantz pm6004. Marantz cd6004. MA BX2s,AEX

geordie777's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 May 2012
Posts: 114
RE: Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

The latest offering from Mr Lydon is superb double album gatefold sleeve and sq is excellent only drawback no download code. Sorry album is called THIS IS PIL. 

__________________

Rega RP1 Golding 2100 Cart. Marantz pm6004. Marantz cd6004. MA BX2s,AEX

jimbofisher's picture
Offline
Joined: 17 Aug 2007
Posts: 357
RE: Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

Have to agree with This Is Pil, great album for both sound quality and the music, hoping they play Glastonbury or Latitude next year.

 

Today's post brought Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends and also The Haunted Man by Bat For Lashes. Both gatefold double albums on heavy gauge vinyl with CDs. Will be taking them for a spin at the weekend and will report back.

__________________

Rega Planar 2 (Inspire Quest upgrade) with Nagaoka MP-150 cartridge, into Graham Slee Era Gold V

Arcam cd73, Squeezebox Touch fed by 2t Vortexbox, CD and Touch into Rega Dac, Arcam A80, Mission 773se Speakers

Joined: 2 Sep 2007
Posts: 1766
RE: Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

1) Sunken Condos - Donald Fagen

More super-smooth grooves with just enough bite to keep it involving. Great pressing witn nine tracks spread across three sides of vinyl. No CD or d/load code though. 

 

2) Oh No, I Love You - Tim Burgess

 

I love this album so much at the moment. I've been enjoying it on Spotify for a fortnight or so, and decided to go for the vinyl. Well packaged with an extra vinyl EP of remixes and standard album on CD too. Sounds good. 

For fans of Lambchop too, of course. Co-written by Tim Burgess and Kurt Wagner. Plus there's even a paean to the black stuff itself, A Case For Vinyl. 

 

3) Elysium - Pet Shop Boys

 

Doesn't quite sparkle like the CD. The instrumental LP version is brilliant though. I hope The Vinyl Factory are preparing the ridiculously priced 11 disc edition as we speak. Maybe not, but here's hoping. 

__________________

Roksan Caspian Pre amp, Caspian Mono Power amp x 2, NAD M51 DAC, B&W 805 Signature, Roksan Radius turntable, Denon-1713UD, MF phono & headphone amps, PS3, Mac/AE/Apple TV

DandyCobalt's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Oct 2010
Posts: 1447
RE: Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

jimbofisher wrote:

Today's post brought Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends and also The Haunted Man by Bat For Lashes. Both gatefold double albums on heavy gauge vinyl with CDs. Will be taking them for a spin at the weekend and will report back.

The CD of Bat for Lashes is great - interesting to know what the vinyl is like. Mrs C thought it reminded her of Kate Bush - production sounds excellent, and very atmospheric.

__________________

Pioneer tv + LX85, Sony HW15 Proj, Cyrus DAC XP+/Mono X300/CDXTSE2/PSXRx2, Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands and Maestro centre, B&W CM1 surrounds /PV1D (9.1), CA BD751, Virgin TiVo, Inspire Rega t/t, Benz Glider MC, EAR 834P phono amp; Slee Novo Headphone Amp.TQ Black.

jimbofisher's picture
Offline
Joined: 17 Aug 2007
Posts: 357
RE: Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

Having enjoyed the cd of the Bat For Lashes album yesterday whilst moving about the house I couldn't resist the temptation to listen to the vinyl. It doesn't disappoint. On taking it out of the sleeve both vinyl disks are white, very pretty as the wife said. Lyric and drawings booklet included.

Excellent recording, spacious, drums sharp, vocals very clear and yes very atmospheric. Nice warm sound but not at all dull. Highly recommended.

Part way through my wife said she must remember to recommend the album to a friend who wants to listen to some new music, praise indeed!

__________________

Rega Planar 2 (Inspire Quest upgrade) with Nagaoka MP-150 cartridge, into Graham Slee Era Gold V

Arcam cd73, Squeezebox Touch fed by 2t Vortexbox, CD and Touch into Rega Dac, Arcam A80, Mission 773se Speakers

moriarty's picture
Offline
Joined: 11 Jun 2010
Posts: 36
RE: Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

BAT FOR LASHES - THE HAUNTED MAN

I'd also endorse the Bat For Lashes album; fantastic album - great pressing (although wasn't expecting white vinyl; no such sticker on the shrinkwrap) - nice cover / booklet - free CD for ripping.

10/10 for music & product!

Clare Newsome's picture
Offline
Joined: 4 Jun 2007
Posts: 13943
RE: Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

I've belatedly come to the Suzanne Vega 'Close Up' series of recordings -  a few years back she re-recorded her songs and grouped them into themes. First volume on heavyweight vinyl sounds brilliant; saving up for the rest now!

Suzanne Vega Close Up Love Songs

__________________

Group Marketing & PR Manager - Computers Unlimited;

Former Group Editor of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and Whathifi.com

Twitter: @ClareNewsome

fishheads's picture
Offline
Joined: 6 Mar 2011
Posts: 12
RE: Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

New Godspeed You Black Emperor record

Those who know Constellation releases will know exactly what I mean when I mention the smell of their vinyl records (think old bookstores  or NME pages when the print used to smear all over your hands mmmm)

The others can just think I'm slightly weird