65 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sospri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 23/03/2011 - 10:22
Posts: 365
RE: Inspire Upgrade RE: Inspire Upgrade

andybeau wrote:

Sospri wrote:

I have done this replacment Inspire plinth on my Rega p7, and am very pleased with the result.

Its easy to do if you are handy with a few tools, and if you have a problem Robert is always at the end of the phone...........

Cheers not bad with tools, time served apprentice. Although spend my time programming robots

for a living now, so less tools, but triumph herald in garage to keep tools busy.

Yep

 you will have no problem at all, its all pretty straightforward,

Same here mechanical engineer orignally, now in the opthalmic industry, but you never forget................

CJSF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 25/05/2011 - 19:24
Posts: 2088
RE: Inspire Upgrade

New sub-platter is expensive Andy, so as a very good stop gap I can recomend the 'SRM Sub-Platter damping kit'.  I have used it to good effect, its consits of 12 orange like sections to fit in the plastic segmented SP.  Easy to fit, cheap and very effective, I found a little fine tuning helped, I removed two oposing sections, tuned up the base nicley, also tried removing 4 sections, preferd 2.

Tracked it down on the Bay: 'SRM Sub-Patter damping kit' . . . item number: 330943096695

At £15 it is worth it.

CJSF

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Inspire Upgrade

CJSF wrote:

New sub-platter is expensive Andy, so as a very good stop gap I can recomend the 'SRM Sub-Platter damping kit'.  I have used it to good effect, its consits of 12 orange like sections to fit in the plastic segmented SP.  Easy to fit, cheap and very effective, I found a little fine tuning helped, I removed two oposing sections, tuned up the base nicley, also tried removing 4 sections, preferd 2.

Tracked it down on the Bay: 'SRM Sub-Patter damping kit' . . . item number: 330943096695

At £15 it is worth it.

CJSF

Cheers just bought one, god its too easy to spend money these days

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Inspire Upgrade

Sospri wrote:

andybeau wrote:

Sospri wrote:

I have done this replacment Inspire plinth on my Rega p7, and am very pleased with the result.

Its easy to do if you are handy with a few tools, and if you have a problem Robert is always at the end of the phone...........

Cheers not bad with tools, time served apprentice. Although spend my time programming robots

for a living now, so less tools, but triumph herald in garage to keep tools busy.

Yep

 you will have no problem at all, its all pretty straightforward,

Same here mechanical engineer orignally, now in the opthalmic industry, but you never forget................

Well sometimes you do :oops:

DIB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 21/05/2009 - 21:07
Posts: 2371
RE: Inspire Upgrade

CJSF wrote:

 

There is a damping kit for the standard plastic SP, that works OK'sh, if you remove 2 or 4 sections, cant for the life of me remeber the name of the supplier, its was £15 from the 'Bay' a good investment at the price, but the full metal SP is the best way but much more expensive.

I found under slung arm counter ballances worked well too.

CJSF

 

 

This I presume?  http://srm-tech.co.uk/shop/article_RSDK1/Sub-Platter-Damping-Kit-for-Rega.html?pse=apq

 

 

.

Creek/ProJect/SBT/Epos

CJSF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 25/05/2011 - 19:24
Posts: 2088
RE: Inspire Upgrade

DIB wrote:

CJSF wrote:

 

There is a damping kit for the standard plastic SP, that works OK'sh, if you remove 2 or 4 sections, cant for the life of me remeber the name of the supplier, its was £15 from the 'Bay' a good investment at the price, but the full metal SP is the best way but much more expensive.

I found under slung arm counter ballances worked well too.

CJSF

 

This I presume?  http://srm-tech.co.uk/shop/article_RSDK1/Sub-Platter-Damping-Kit-for-Rega.html?pse=apq

 

 

Thats the one DIB . . . works suprisingly well if you 'tune' it.

CJSF

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Inspire Upgrade

Well that was a nice simple job to do, hardest part was finding my soldering

iron.

Before Pics

TT Mods

During Pic

ttmod

ttmod

ttmod

 

 

 

Finished pic

ttmod

Well was it worth it……

Big yes, everything sounds better all round.

Soundstage vastly improved, clarity much better. Everything’s clearer

 

Very happy

Troy62's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 07/12/2010 - 14:05
Posts: 71
RE: Inspire Upgrade

Might be just me mate but all I'm getting is blue question marks where the images should be  

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Inspire Upgrade

Troy62 wrote:

Might be just me mate but all I'm getting is blue question marks where the images should be  

Try  right clicking them and open image in new tab works for me

don't know whars happened edited it 5 times now and still 

the same not doing anything different from usual!!!!

DandyCobalt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/10/2010 - 14:58
Posts: 1430
RE: Inspire Upgrade

Tantalisingly close to seeing what you've done Smile 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Inspire Upgrade

Well that was a nice simple job to do, hardest part was finding my soldering

iron.

Before Pics

During Pics

 

Finished pic

Well was it worth it……

Big yes, everything sounds better all round.

Soundstage vastly improved, clarity much better. Everything’s clearer

 

Very happy

 

DandyCobalt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/10/2010 - 14:58
Posts: 1430
RE: Inspire Upgrade

Beautiful!

Good job!

Sospri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 23/03/2011 - 10:22
Posts: 365
RE: Inspire Upgrade

Yep,

        Looks great, I found exactly the same improvment, with my quest upgrade. better clarity and soundstage.

What was the finish that you chose, mine was zebrano to match my zebrano SA1s.............

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Inspire Upgrade

Sospri wrote:

Yep,

        Looks great, I found exactly the same improvment, with my quest upgrade. better clarity and soundstage.

What was the finish that you chose, mine was zebrano to match my zebrano SA1s.............

Walnut to match stand and speakers

Can't believe how much better it sounds

Next the speakers :rockout:

drummerman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 18/01/2008 - 21:12
Posts: 5204
RE: Inspire Upgrade

The single biggest improvement/modification you could make that has repeatedly been proven to be successful regardless of other factors is fluid damping. There are technically no downsides to it I know of as it really cuts down on unwanted vibrations and pushes the ones left outside of the most harmful range.

Whether the resulting more neutral or less coloured (some may perhaps call it 'boring') sound is to your taste is another question but that it works is undisputable whether done as Townshend does on the headshell or the Paris, Well Tempered etc does on the arm. The measurements are there.

regards

Pages

Log in or register to post comments