Have your say & ask the experts!

Advice on turntables needed

70 replies [Last post]
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15558
RE: Advice on turntables needed

That's okay. Don't bust a gut, but anything around my budget that you think suitable then tip us a wink.

BTW, what are Townshend turntables like? heard the name but not seen any. Just googled them up and seems very little in the way of reviews.

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

floyd droid's picture
Offline
Joined: 5 Sep 2008
Posts: 2670
RE: Advice on turntables needed

Townsend are an unknown quantity to me PP. I do know someone who runs one , which model I cant remember off hand ,but I've never heard it. By all accounts they are pretty good. Waiting on a couple of return calls at the min.

floyd droid's picture
Offline
Joined: 5 Sep 2008
Posts: 2670
RE: Advice on turntables needed

 

Ok PP, option 1 was sold , albeit a tad over budgie. However ,I've done some groundwork for you regarding a GyroSE Export Model. I had no idea what the export model is , basically its black instead of silver with the goldy coloured spring turrets. Ring Turntableworld and ask for Simon, I've dealt with him before and is an ok guy. I have no trade connection with him whatsoever. Up to you PP, well in budget and he will sort the armboard etc out for you. You will need an arm but that can be picked up reletively cheaply,he may well have one.

Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15558
RE: Advice on turntables needed

floyd droid wrote:

 

Ok PP, option 1 was sold , albeit a tad over budgie. However ,I've done some groundwork for you regarding a GyroSE Export Model. I had no idea what the export model is , basically its black instead of silver with the goldy coloured spring turrets. Ring Turntableworld and ask for Simon, I've dealt with him before and is an ok guy. I have no trade connection with him whatsoever. Up to you PP, well in budget and he will sort the armboard etc out for you. You will need an arm but that can be picked up reletively cheaply,he may well have one.

Thanks very much for your effort, Floydie. Only just got in after an afternoon of work (whatever that is...) and I'll give him a buzz over the coming days.

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

floyd droid's picture
Offline
Joined: 5 Sep 2008
Posts: 2670
RE: Advice on turntables needed

No worries PP any time mate. If you do go for it and Simon is reluctant to lob in an armboard etc dont fret. I'm pretty sure that I have a black brand spanker Rega board knocking around plus the de-coupling kit. Yours for nowt ,we can sort it if required. 

Dont hang around too long PP, s/h Gyros are a bit thin on the ground and I would be well peed off for you if a lurker snapped it up, just a thought mate.

drummerman's picture
Offline
Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 4963
RE: Advice on turntables needed

Thats a very decent offer from Floyd droyd and a Michell is what I would get too.

regards

__________________

Pretty ... and pretty proud of it

Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15558
RE: Advice on turntables needed

floyd droid wrote:

No worries PP any time mate. If you do go for it and Simon is reluctant to lob in an armboard etc dont fret. I'm pretty sure that I have a black brand spanker Rega board knocking around plus the de-coupling kit. Yours for nowt ,we can sort it if required. 

Dont hang around too long PP, s/h Gyros are a bit thin on the ground and I would be well peed off for you if a lurker snapped it up, just a thought mate.

Very kind of you, Floyd. Yes I know Gyros are sparse.

On Saturday it's 'Village Day' and the theme is 'All the Kings Horses and all the Kings Men', so we've been making costumes for little'un over the past couple of days.

Certainly get onto it Monday or Tuesday next week.

Thanks again, PP.

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15558
RE: Advice on turntables needed

floyd droid wrote:

No worries PP any time mate. If you do go for it and Simon is reluctant to lob in an armboard etc dont fret. I'm pretty sure that I have a black brand spanker Rega board knocking around plus the de-coupling kit. Yours for nowt ,we can sort it if required. 

Dont hang around too long PP, s/h Gyros are a bit thin on the ground and I would be well peed off for you if a lurker snapped it up, just a thought mate.

Okay.... quick update.

Spoke to Simon and seems a decent enough guy.

Spoke to him about numerous decks, including the Pro-ject Xperience, which he said would be a decent upgrade on my current jobbie. Also recommended the Rega RP3, which doesn't appeal to me.

The ClearAudio Emotion package is the better option over the 'Concept', in his opinion - and it's a little cheaper. Must admit the ClearAudios have a personal appeal.

The Gyros he seriously recommends I look at a local dealer, as according to him, they are tricky to set-up. In his own words: "The Gyro sounds awful unless you get the set-up right".

So I need to chew a few things over.

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

floyd droid's picture
Offline
Joined: 5 Sep 2008
Posts: 2670
RE: Advice on turntables needed

plastic penguin wrote:

The Gyros he seriously recommends I look at a local dealer, as according to him, they are tricky to set-up. In his own words: "The Gyro sounds awful unless you get the set-up right".

Well tbh PP you need to be a total pleb to set one up wrong. Michells destructions make it easy, even for a blind person. It really isnt ruddy rocket science, just a bit of attention to set up detail is all it takes.

So as for sounding awful if set up wrong , maybe he should haver called me and I would have done it for him,lol. 

There are online tutorials out there PP for you to have look at what you are up against.

took me all of 10 seconds to find this for starters. 

I find it really odd that as he is a Mich dealer he kinda put you off, mibbe he gets more mark up on Clearaudio  Wink.

 

 

Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15558
RE: Advice on turntables needed

floyd droid wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

The Gyros he seriously recommends I look at a local dealer, as according to him, they are tricky to set-up. In his own words: "The Gyro sounds awful unless you get the set-up right".

Well tbh PP you need to be a total pleb to set one up wrong. Michells destructions make it easy, even for a blind person. It really isnt ruddy rocket science, just a bit of attention to set up detail is all it takes.

So as for sounding awful if set up wrong , maybe he should haver called me and I would have done it for him,lol. 

There are online tutorials out there PP for you to have look at what you are up against.

took me all of 10 seconds to find this for starters. 

I find it really odd that as he is a Mich dealer he kinda put you off, mibbe he gets more mark up on Clearaudio  Wink.

 

 

Read the link last night and it doesn't appear you need special qualifications. I would say it's more fiddly than complicated.

In terms of upgrades of amps and turntable itself the Gyro gives more flexibility than most, but the question I have to ask myself is "Do I need a turntable of that ilk?" At the mo I'm chewing over the prospect and eyeing alternatives. Nothing's been ruled in or out.

Thanks for your efforts. Smile

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin