42 posts / 0 new
Last post
BenLaw's picture
RE: Wimbledon 2014

gel wrote:

Nadal gone!   :). This years Wimbledon is shaping up nicely again.  Tough one for Murray next though.   :pray:

I watched the first set of Nadal's match today. Kyrgios looks some player. I was thinking 'upset' after the first game and was having to tell myself off - wrongly - for being premature. Not seen a serve as fast and smooth in the delivery as that since Ivanisevic, which is a serious compliment. Fortunately for the competition I can't see him keeping it up for three more five set matches (especially playing back to back) but he looks like a future Wimbledon winner to me. 

Been very impressed with what I've seen of Murray so far (which is not that much). He looks relaxed and grooved, all the things I was hoping for. The matches obviously get tougher but he shouldn't be losing his QF. I'll stick with my prediction of a Novak Murray semi and the winner being champion. 

BenLaw's picture

To add, not seen anything live of the Fed so far but he hasn't dropped serve yet, he must be a serious threat. 

jjbomber's picture

[EDITED BY MODS - house rules]

BenLaw's picture

[EDITED BY MODS - response obviated by moderation of previous post]

strapped for cash's picture

So if Dimitrov is overawed, Djoker's left arm falls off, and Federer shanks too many forehands, Muzza might successfully defend his title!

Murray's looked good so far, though he's yet to be really tested. Tomorrow's match should provide a better sense of where his game's at.

I think all remaining players in the men's draw will be encouraged by Nadal's exit.

BenLaw's picture

BenLaw wrote:
[EDITED BY MODS - response obviated by moderation of previous post]

That does rather group me with the previous poster, rather than show that I was abruptly pointing out his misogyny. 

John Duncan's picture

Yes, I didn't mean to, but I couldn't leave it as it was.  I did consider just unpublishing your post whilst leaving the previous warning, which I can still do if you prefer.  It's just a bit fiddly on a phone and I was in a hurry.

EDIT - how's that ^^?

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com

BenLaw's picture

That's great, thanks John. 

John Duncan's picture

In other news...I used 'obviate' in the sense 'to render unnecessary', but apparently the dictionary claims that you can only obviate something that hasn't happened yet.  In which case I am using big words to make myself look clever, but am instead making myself look a EDITED.

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com

professorhat's picture

As far as I'm concerned, it hasn't happened...

The owls are not what they seem...

gel's picture

Murray about to take a tumble - I predict.   Wink

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

BenLaw's picture

gel wrote:

Murray about to take a tumble - I predict.   Wink

It's going very not well so far.

BenLaw's picture

Really surprised how badly Murray played and really surprised how well Dimitrov played, miles better than I've ever seen him before. His serve was so good it was very tough for Murray to get any opportunities, and his own was a long way off. Disappointing. Although seeing Dimitrov and Kyrigos leaves me optimistic for a high quality future of tennis after the 'big 4' disappear.

gel's picture

gel wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

Possibly a little early but it's (very nearly!) that time of year again. These threads have had some interest the last couple of years so I just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on Wimbledon this year? Will Murray retain his title? Will his new coach have any bearing on it? Nadal or Djokovic? Will Federer still be a force?

Have to say I was very impressed with Murray at the French this year, best I've ever seen him play on clay for long periods. If he can transition onto the grass after a long tournament then I'd say it's hard to choose between him, Nadal and Djokovic. I think Federer will make semis at best, but I have written him off before and seen him do well.

I thought Djokovic was really good at the French and now he has Boris Becker in his corner I think he could win Wimbledon again.  Murray struggles against the top players too much for me, I just think one will beat him this year. I'm not sure with Murray how the rest of his career will go now. I always knew he would win Grand Slams but now his done it I'm not sure there is many more in him. This year will be interesting for Murray.

Oh dear!   :). Djokovic to win now.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

gel's picture

BenLaw wrote:

Really surprised how badly Murray played and really surprised how well Dimitrov played, miles better than I've ever seen him before. His serve was so good it was very tough for Murray to get any opportunities, and his own was a long way off. Disappointing. Although seeing Dimitrov and Kyrigos leaves me optimistic for a high quality future of tennis after the 'big 4' disappear.

Yep, the future looks bright, pretty disappointing still.  I'm not sure with the women coach thing, it's not for me.  Murray struggles against the top players too much for me at the moment.

Pages