42 posts / 0 new
Last post
BenLaw's picture
Wimbledon 2014

Possibly a little early but it's (very nearly!) that time of year again. These threads have had some interest the last couple of years so I just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on Wimbledon this year? Will Murray retain his title? Will his new coach have any bearing on it? Nadal or Djokovic? Will Federer still be a force?

Have to say I was very impressed with Murray at the French this year, best I've ever seen him play on clay for long periods. If he can transition onto the grass after a long tournament then I'd say it's hard to choose between him, Nadal and Djokovic. I think Federer will make semis at best, but I have written him off before and seen him do well.

gel's picture
RE: Wimbledon 2014

BenLaw wrote:

Possibly a little early but it's (very nearly!) that time of year again. These threads have had some interest the last couple of years so I just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on Wimbledon this year? Will Murray retain his title? Will his new coach have any bearing on it? Nadal or Djokovic? Will Federer still be a force?

Have to say I was very impressed with Murray at the French this year, best I've ever seen him play on clay for long periods. If he can transition onto the grass after a long tournament then I'd say it's hard to choose between him, Nadal and Djokovic. I think Federer will make semis at best, but I have written him off before and seen him do well.

I thought Djokovic was really good at the French and now he has Boris Becker in his corner I think he could win Wimbledon again.  Murray struggles against the top players too much for me, I just think one will beat him this year. I'm not sure with Murray how the rest of his career will go now. I always knew he would win Grand Slams but now his done it I'm not sure there is many more in him. This year will be interesting for Murray.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

BenLaw's picture

I thought on his least natural surface we finally saw Murray coming back to 100% after his surgery. You're right to say, though, that he didn't beat any opponents above him in the rankings. On the other hand, he only lost to the almost unbeatable Rafa. He also trounced Novak in last year's Wimbledon, and beat the same player to win the previous US.

It will be interesting to see if he is back at full match sharpness and, as you say, how he will do against the very best. I agree ND has improved again this year and has a good Wimbledon coach in place.

gel's picture

BenLaw wrote:

I thought on his least natural surface we finally saw Murray coming back to 100% after his surgery. You're right to say, though, that he didn't beat any opponents above him in the rankings. On the other hand, he only lost to the almost unbeatable Rafa. He also trounced Novak in last year's Wimbledon, and beat the same player to win the previous US.

It will be interesting to see if he is back at full match sharpness and, as you say, how he will do against the very best. I agree ND has improved again this year and has a good Wimbledon coach in place.

Who do you think will win, Ben?   :cheers:

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

BenLaw's picture

Hmm, I think I'd at least like to see the seedings and preferably the draw before committing myself. For example, if Murray was seeded 3 or 4 he might have to play Federer, Nadal, Djokovic as his last three matches. However, I would put ND favourite and AM second. 

strapped for cash's picture

It's hard to look past the four big names, though Wawrinka's game is well suited to grass and he could surprise everyone.

That doesn't mean I think Wawrinka will win the tournament, but if I had to bet on someone other than Rafa, Novak, Andy, or Roger, I'd probably back Stan; del Potro's big hitting makes him a contender, too, since he pushed Djokovic all the way last year, despite having use of just one leg.   

I'd like to see a few big names go out in earlier rounds, partly because it could help Murray, but also because both Nadal and Federer's exits last year were almost as exciting as the final.

I'm genuinely intrigued to see how the Murray-Mauresmo combo works out.

If Murray can retain his Aegon title, I think he'll be among the top four Wimbledon seeds. His run at the French was hugely important in this regard. 

BenLaw's picture

Del Potro is injured at the moment. I agree Warwinka comes in at fifth favourite, maybe Berdych and Tsonga after that. 

The weighting Wimbledon gives to grass court peformance means AM's last two wimbledon performances should guarantee him a top 4 seeding. RN and ND are probably too far ahead for a top 2. 

Do you give RF much hope? Poor show in the French. 

relocated's picture

It is crunch-time for Andy Murray this year.  If he doesn't win a major this year then he won't ever again.  I have little confidence in him given that he crashed out at the French in straight sets, although admittedly against Nadal.

I suspect it might be Nadal this year.

Apple lossless - Netgear Nighthawk - ATV3 - AVI ADM 40.  

AVI ADM 9T used in my wife's system

BenLaw wrote:

Less than Nadal or Djokovic.

However, I think Wimbledon represents Federer's best chance of capturing another major, even though he's less of a dominant force (on grass and in the sport more generally).

If I were a gambling man (thankfully I'm not), I wouldn't bet on Federer winning the title, though I'd be far from shocked if he held the Wimbledon trophy aloft this year.

Federer's chances depend to some extent on a favourable draw and early exits among rivals. I think Federer could overturn Murray, who is still not quite back to his very best.      

BenLaw's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

Less than Nadal or Djokovic.

However, I think Wimbledon represents Federer's best chance of capturing another major, even though he's less of a dominant force (on grass and in the sport more generally).

If I were a gambling man (thankfully I'm not), I wouldn't bet on Federer winning the title, though I'd be far from shocked if he held the Wimbledon trophy aloft this year.

Federer's chances depend to some extent on a favourable draw and early exits among rivals.

I agree with all of that. With the quality of the three above him I think his chances are reasonably slim this year, but as you say upsets could clear a path for him. I suspect this may be his last chance to win a major.

Quote:
I think Federer could overturn Murray, who is still not quite back to his very best.      

I watched a few hours of his games at the French and think he may be getting there. A pain-free Murray has the potential to improve on his level of the last few years, which could be interesting. He's certainly lacked consistency so far this year but I think there were signs at the French he's recovering his match sharpness. Missing the French last year gave him some great preparation time for Wimbledon, which he obviously doesn't get this year. That transition may prove difficult, but if he pulls it off and he continues the fitness levels and form he showed at the French I genuinely think he has a great chance this year.

I also disagree with the earlier poster that this year is his last to win majors. I don't see a cadre of young players coming up to depose Nadal, Djoko and Murray and he has the fitness and ability to maintain this level for 2-3 more years (as do the others). More wins at Wimbledon and the US are certainly possible.

BenLaw wrote:

I also disagree with the earlier poster that this year is his last to win majors. I don't see a cadre of young players coming up to depose Nadal, Djoko and Murray and he has the fitness and ability to maintain this level for 2-3 more years (as do the others). More wins at Wimbledon and the US are certainly possible.

I agree.

Murray remains focused on winning further majors (rather than securing the #1 ranking) and he has the game and hopefully durability to do so.

There's still a sizeable gap between the true top four (or maybe top three now) and others on the men's tour, including up-and-coming stars such as Raonic and Dimitrov.

Indeed, Raonic and Dimitrov are well into their twenties; and despite the later maturation of players on the men's circuit, both should have had greater success already if they expect to win majors. Unless a new superstar bursts onto the tour, it'll be a few years before players other than Rafa, Novak and Andy contest for major trophies (Wawrinka's Aussie win was the exception proving the rule).

Just as importantly, Djokovic is having a bad run by his exemplary standards, and isn't quite the player he was in 2010/2011. Rafa, meanwhile, has at least as many physical concerns as Andy. Throw these factors into the mix and Murray stands every chace of winning further majors.

I'll be sad when these great players retire, because I don't think the upcoming crop of men will be able to match today's very best in terms of skill and intensity.

gel's picture

Wimbledon Monday!   :clap:

gel's picture

Draw here:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jun/20/wimbledon-2014-draw-andy-murray-david-goffin

Anyone betting?

I might have a bet on Madison Keys.

BenLaw's picture

No betting here, but Murray's got to be pretty pleased with his draw. Unless he plays very badly or an opponent plays insanely well it's a fairly straightforward path to the semis. Djokovic could have Tsonga in the 4th round and Berdych in the quarters, Nadal could have a rematch with Rosol in round 2, big serving Karlovic in 3 and is in Federer's half. 

I'm going to predict a Djokovic v Murray semi and whoever wins it will be champion.

gel's picture

Murray cruising through nicely.   :clap:

gel's picture

Nadal gone!   :). This years Wimbledon is shaping up nicely again.  Tough one for Murray next though.   :pray:

Pages