21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Electro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 30/03/2011 - 11:34
Posts: 1271
What has happened to Sympathy , Empathy and compassion ?

I watched Question time from Barking last night and one member of the audience tried to explain his situation and the fact that he was jobless , homeless and nobody  was interested in his plight or his point of view .

He put his point to the panel and he was rounded on by the panel and the audience to the point where he got up and walked out .

Whether you agree with him or not surely his feelings and point of view are just as valid as anyone elses and he should be allowed to try and explain his position,

It would have been far better if one of the locals also in attendance had offered him a bed for the night rather than attack him for trying to explain the way he feels !

I just felt so sorry for him it made me feel so bad that if it was possible I would have offered him a place to stay myself .

So as the title says ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKf8d4Y-NlM

 

 Electrocompaniet EMC 1 UP , Monarchy Audio DIP, Electrocompaniet ECD 1 dac , EC4.8 preamp , 2x AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC PB1i speakers . Thousands of Cd's .

cheeseboy's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1078
RE: What has happened to Sympathy , Empathy and compassion ?

welcome to the wonderful world of capitalism.  I know what you mean though, it's one of the reasons I left the UK as I hated the way it was going and the lack of self responsibility that was happening, both in part by individuals themselves, and also by the government making laws to protect stupidity.  It's always somebody elses fault etc....

hammill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 11:46
Posts: 2460
RE: What has happened to Sympathy , Empathy and compassion ?

If you need an answer to your question, try the bedroom tax. Disabled people losing benefit because of an extra bedroom even though it is used to house their iron lung etc. Familys forced to move into smaller private accomodation that costs the council more in housing benefit because it has the right number of bedrooms. Large numbers of families having their benefits cut in the highlands because there are simply no two bedroom houses available. In the meantime banks that are losing money increasing the pay of their senior staff (whilst ordinary staff are made redundant or get no pay rises). 

cheeseboy's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1078
RE: What has happened to Sympathy , Empathy and compassion ?

yep, and then the politicians with the papers try to lay the blame on the people claiming benefits, when the amount avoided in corporation tax is obscene by comparison...  taken from here: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/feb/01/welfare-fraud-tax-avoidance

 

"welfare fraud is smaller than accidental overpayments due to error, which totalled £2.2bn (£1.4bn of which due to official error). It's also smaller than the amount of money underpaid to those entitled to it: £1.3bn."

"HMRC consistently estimates the UK's tax gap – the gap between what HMRC thinks it should receive versus what it actually gets – at more than £30bn per year. Others estimate this is far, far higher."

But no, the government still likes to do things that effect those who need it most. :mad:

Clare Newsome's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 04/06/2007 - 12:06
Posts: 13589
RE: What has happened to Sympathy , Empathy and compassion ?

If you look historically, people's attitudes harden when times are tough, and they are more disposed to turn on vulnerable or different members of society (especially if encouraged by those with an agenda).

That's as true now as it was, say in the middle ages (let's all burn some witches. Or banish the jews. Again); Napoleonic era (when ex-soldiers returning from war were often destitute, and seen as a peril/disgrace - leading to the 1824 Vagrancy Act); Victorian England (workhouses); 1930s (enough said).

It's very primal: like animals will abandon/turn-on weaker members of their groups. Survival of fittest etc.

Fear plays a big part, too - few people like to be confronted with the stark realities of life, especially when they may feel uncomfortably close to going that way themselves.

None of that excuses the behaviour, but does explain a lot. That and the fact we are all Thatcher's children...

 

Group Marketing & PR Manager, Computers Unlimited.

Brands represented include Astell&Kern, Audioengine, B&O Play, Canton, Flexson for SONOS and SONOS

TWITTER: @ClareNewsome

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4508
RE: What has happened to Sympathy , Empathy and compassion ?

Clare Newsome wrote:

we are all Thatcher's children...

Divide and rule politics is supremely effective.

People at the bottom become so preoccupied with fighting each other that they're distracted from what happens at the top. Since 2010 it's been a smash and grab raid, rather than the marginally less damaging robbery committed between 1979 and 2007. 

The really scary thing is that there's been no effective challenge to neoliberalism post-2008. So we have a "recovery" based on a re-inflated housing bubble and continuation of financial sector excesses.

We know where it'll end, but George may convince enough of the electorate that he's fixed the economy to remain in power. An unelectable opposition leader and shadow chancellor won't harm his chances, either.

hammill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 11:46
Posts: 2460
RE: What has happened to Sympathy , Empathy and compassion ?

strapped for cash wrote:

Clare Newsome wrote:

we are all Thatcher's children...

Divide and rule politics is supremely effective.

People at the bottom become so preoccupied with fighting each other that they're distracted from what happens at the top. Since 2010 it's been a smash and grab raid, rather than the marginally less damaging robbery committed between 1979 and 2007. 

The really scary thing is that there's been no effective challenge to neoliberalism post-2008. So we have a "recovery" based on a re-inflated housing bubble and continuation of financial sector excesses.

We know where it'll end, but George may convince enough of the electorate that he's fixed the economy to remain in power. An unelectable opposition leader and shadow chancellor won't harm his chances, either.

Heard an Oxford Professor on Richards Bacon's show talking about the housing bubble. The govenrment deposit scheme is not only pushing up prices making housing even less affordable  (house price increases when peoples wages are stagnant?),  but encouraging the banks to lend to people that would not normally be considered a good risk because the government is underwriting their deposits. This means a massive default is likely when interests rates rise (and they surely will) leaving the government liable for a huge amount to repay the deposits. Even by government standards, this is economically illiterate. The trouble is that house owners are statistically more likely to vote and more likely to vote Tory so they protect their vote in exchange for the countries ruin. 

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4508
RE: What has happened to Sympathy , Empathy and compassion ?

hammill wrote:

encouraging the banks to lend to people that would not normally be considered a good risk because the government is underwriting their deposits.

Sounds a bit like subprime mortgage lending, doesn't it, only as you say, underwritten by the public purse.

The banks were bailed out by the public purse six years ago. Any contextual differences seem largely irrelevant, since the end result is the same.

George and Dave may be out of office by the time the sh*t hits the fan. And that's the issue. We're pushing problems down the line again, which is both financially irresponsible and amoral. 

jjbomber's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 22/12/2006 - 00:42
Posts: 797
RE: What has happened to Sympathy , Empathy and compassion ?

You're asking about empathy on this forum???? 

How does a homeless person apply for a ticket to get in the Question Time audience? Sounds like another BBC con to me.

I have to admit I have divided opinions on the homeless. I see them every week begging for money for coffee. I am happy to take them to McDonalds for a coffee but they never want that. They want money for alconhol, which I won't give. However, I have been told by various homeless charities than anybody, and I mean anybody, who is homeless will turn to alcohol and/or drugs within 2 weeks. The homeless get £30 a day allowance from the council. 

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6360
RE: What has happened to Sympathy , Empathy and compassion ?

Electro wrote:

I watched Question time from Barking last night and one member of the audience tried to explain his situation and the fact that he was jobless , homeless and nobody  was interested in his plight or his point of view .

He put his point to the panel and he was rounded on by the panel and the audience to the point where he got up and walked out .

Whether you agree with him or not surely his feelings and point of view are just as valid as anyone elses and he should be allowed to try and explain his position,

It would have been far better if one of the locals also in attendance had offered him a bed for the night rather than attack him for trying to explain the way he feels !

I just felt so sorry for him it made me feel so bad that if it was possible I would have offered him a place to stay myself .

So as the title says ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKf8d4Y-NlM

 

Has anyone watched the video? I could hear a vague mention of going to find somewhere to live at the end, but it didn't seem clear he was homeless. He wasn't 'rounded on' by the panel, he kept interrupting Aaranovitch as he tried to respond and frankly he seemed like a racist, as did the woman who posed the initial question. The OP's values seem pretty skewed to me. 

 

Also, at 3.50 we had a definitive answer to the cable debate, 'just because you perceive it doesn't make it a fact'  Wink

Alec's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 08/10/2007 - 21:06
Posts: 6079
RE: What has happened to Sympathy , Empathy and compassion ?

Seems like a frustrated but ignorant man, to me.

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4508
RE: What has happened to Sympathy , Empathy and compassion ?

BenLaw wrote:

it didn't seem clear he was homeless.

He stated that he was homeless on the programme, and ended up that way because he'd applied for over 100 jobs, but hadn't been invited to a single interview. That was all we got in terms of backstory.

Perhaps his benefits were stopped and he lost his home. Or maybe he couldn't hold down a job due to poor communication skills, a temper, and some objectionable views. He possibly had mental health and/or addiction issues; or he could simply be a horrible man. 

In any case, he seemed to be in a bad place; and with little knowledge of his history and wider circumstances, we perhaps shouldn't pass judgement. (That's not directed at you, Ben, or anyone else for that matter. It's a general observation.)

 

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6360
RE: What has happened to Sympathy , Empathy and compassion ?

I missed him saying he was homeless, so fair enough.  I think he said he'd applied for 100 jobs on the trains. 

 

Obviously I agree we know insufficient of his background to pass judgment. Whilst I agree with many of the sentiments expressed by electro, I don't agree this was a good example by which to express them, given that the man seemed to have objectionable views (for whatever reason) and wasn't mistreated by the panel. 

Electro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 30/03/2011 - 11:34
Posts: 1271
RE: What has happened to Sympathy , Empathy and compassion ?

BenLaw wrote:

 

Has anyone watched the video? I could hear a vague mention of going to find somewhere to live at the end, but it didn't seem clear he was homeless. He wasn't 'rounded on' by the panel, he kept interrupting Aaranovitch as he tried to respond and frankly he seemed like a racist, as did the woman who posed the initial question. The OP's values seem pretty skewed to me. 

 

Also, at 3.50 we had a definitive answer to the cable debate, 'just because you perceive it doesn't make it a fact'  Wink

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the bit in bold :?  

It is possible to care about somebody even if you don't agree with their outlook on life .

  Imo the audience and to a lesser extent the panel imediately jumped to the conclusion that the gentleman who spoke with a strong working class east london accent and  white skin must be a racist bigot when he was trying to explain his percieved position .

I think some people are too quick to judge others based purely on the color of their skin and regional accent , I must add that the previous statement is a general observation and not aimed at anyone in particular Smile .

 

 Electrocompaniet EMC 1 UP , Monarchy Audio DIP, Electrocompaniet ECD 1 dac , EC4.8 preamp , 2x AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC PB1i speakers . Thousands of Cd's .

Lost Angeles's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 24/04/2008 - 21:05
Posts: 2214
RE: What has happened to Sympathy , Empathy and compassion ?

Clare, I am not one of Thatcher's children, I was 26 when she got elected.

I would like to know what percentage of the hard up unemployed, lets go down the food bank brigade have got sky TV and a mobile phone on a £30 a month contract.

Country of origin - England not United Kingdom.

Electro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 30/03/2011 - 11:34
Posts: 1271
RE: What has happened to Sympathy , Empathy and compassion ?

Lost Angeles wrote:

I would like to know what percentage of the hard up unemployed, lets go down the food bank brigade have got sky TV and a mobile phone on a £30 a month contract.

Not that many I would wager !

Do you have the figures ?

 Electrocompaniet EMC 1 UP , Monarchy Audio DIP, Electrocompaniet ECD 1 dac , EC4.8 preamp , 2x AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC PB1i speakers . Thousands of Cd's .

Pages

Log in or register to post comments