31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Diamond Joe's picture
Formula 1 - 2014 season
English

Have you seen the cars they're producing this year? :O

The McLaren in particular reminds me of a Proboscis monkey, and the Ferrari... where do you start with that one?!!  :wall:

skippy's picture
RE: Formula 1 - 2014 season

They're looking OK to me, looking forward to the Shake up. 

Liking the colour scheme of the Force India.

Noticed the Lotus 'tuning fork' front end, one of the prongs seems to be longer than the other?

Anyway I hope this season is more the spectacle people are looking for :pray:

Diamond Joe's picture

And they're off (well Hamilton is!!). Testing underway at Jerez and I think the prize for the least ridiculous looking car has to go to Mercedes this year - shame Hamilton binned it, not his fault though.

The Red Bull doesn't look too bad either I just hope it doesn't go so fast this year (fat chance), but the Caterham looks like they've sawn the front off last years car and welded a 2014 spec nose onto it, yuck  :doh:

skippy's picture

Got to agree with you on the Caterham... Chad, wot no designer

Heard they delayed the unveiling this morning, they must have looked at the other cars and thought 'what have we done'.

You'd think that arrangement would increase the lift on the front end, Ericsson said as long as it's fast, he's not bothered what it looks like... Hope it's fast then.

Diamond Joe's picture

skippy wrote:
... Hope it's fast then.

ROFL

boggit's picture

Looking a little less predictable out there

Torquey turbo's look like a handful out of corners.

Teams at different stages of development might make an interesting start to the season at least.

PS Skippy i have it on good authority that Caterham just superglued the nose to the chassis just to get it out there for the launch!!

Sonos ZP80 - Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 v2 - Sugden A21SE PMC DB1i

skippy's picture

boggit wrote:

PS Skippy i have it on good authority that Caterham just superglued the nose to the chassis just to get it out there for the launch!!

Could be a sponsorship deal there then Wink

Diamond Joe's picture

Anyone watching this year?

I know I said I wasn't going to (before flouncing off in a huff) but I've watched some of the first two races and I've got to say I'm not that impressed with the cars, they look odd, but it's not that obvious on screen, it's more to do with the noise they make. I appreciate the need for a change but they're simply not as dramatic as previous years, maybe I'll change my opinion when I see them in the flesh, but I doubt it.

The_Lhc's picture

Diamond Joe wrote:

Anyone watching this year?

I know I said I wasn't going to (before flouncing off in a huff) but I've watched some of the first two races and I've got to say I'm not that impressed with the cars, they look odd, but it's not that obvious on screen, it's more to do with the noise they make. I appreciate the need for a change but they're simply not as dramatic as previous years, maybe I'll change my opinion when I see them in the flesh, but I doubt it.

I like the new noise, it's far less irritating than previously when it just sounded like a swarm of angry wasps (especially on the radio), now they actually sound like cars and my missus doesn't tell me to turn it off because of the noise, which is a bonus!

chebby's picture

Who cares?

Two people who are not Vettel have won so far!  (I know it won't last.)

With any luck loads of different drivers/teams will win races and it will stay interesting right to the end of the season. (I'd love to see Williams get a podium - or even a win - just to make Frank smile. It's been too long.)

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

The_Lhc's picture

chebby wrote:
Who cares?

Well it might, especially if they keep having trouble with the fuel flow sensors.

Quote:
With any luck loads of different drivers/teams will win races and it will stay interesting right to the end of the season. (I'd love to see Williams get a podium - or even a win - just to make Frank smile. It's been too long.)

They're targetting two in the top ten each race, so that suggests they don't think they're that far away from podium places. You're right though, I've already had more interest out of this season than I did the last, watched the whole of the last race as well, I haven't done that in a while!

Diamond Joe's picture

The_Lhc wrote:
I like the new noise, it's far less irritating than previously when it just sounded like a swarm of angry wasps (especially on the radio), now they actually sound like cars and my missus doesn't tell me to turn it off because of the noise, which is a bonus!

I don't think you're alone, but it seems to have divided opinion, good result for you though. I don't dislike the tone, but it could do with a bit more volume for my liking.

Diamond Joe's picture

chebby wrote:

Who cares?

I was hoping that after the issues Renault had in pre season testing we'd see Vettel much further down the order, sadly it looks like they're going to be the only credible opposition to Mercedes in the near future, which fills me with no joy at all. Sadly I don't think we're going to see many different winners again this year, although I can see Williams getting a podium or two.

skippy's picture

They're saying that the only way to increase the noise is to increase the fuel flow. 

My name is Luca (di montezemolo) is in (not so) secret talks with Bernie to see if they can do anything to change this.

I think they have to be very careful to alter the regs, they did it with the tires last year and that sealed the seasons fate.

Ricciardo looks like he's taken on Webber's jinxy stick, but I'm hoping he's gonna give Vettel a hard time.

I'd like to see Kobayashi get Caterham's first point, the guy's driving for free.

I'd say Bottas has the edge on Massa and I can see that one coming to blows at some point.

I'd like the FIA to allow the teams to increase their down force, this would give the drivers the ability to fling the cars thru the corners and increase their lap times, it just seems that they're being a little too cautious.

I like the fact that they're more efficient, it is relevant, but can't help think what the whole carbon footprint is for transportation for the year?

Lost Angeles's picture

The less downforce the better. I reckon I've missed about 2 races in the last 35 years and it seems like any other rule change start to the season to me. Quieter engines mean you can hear a few more other things that's all and the drivers won't all end up deaf. 

Michell Orbe SE. Origin Live Illustrious 2/3. Transfiguration Axia S. Roksan amps. Dali Epicon 3 speakers.

professorhat's picture

1. Preferred the old engine noise personally, but do like the fact you can hear the tyres squeal sometimes now. Silver lining.

2. Very happy to see Williams doing well - definitely hope they can secure at least a podium at some point this season.

3. Happy to see Lewis and Nico doing well at Mercedes, but very much hoping McLaren can find some extra speed soon so they can compete for the championship. I'd say it may be unlikely, but they've done it before.

4. Good to see Ricciardo showing early form - hope this continues and luck improves.

5. Never rule out either Alonso or Raikkonen and Ferrari - both of them have the potential to be champions, even without the best car.

Very happy F1 fan so far - except for the ongoing Sky coverage of course...

The owls are not what they seem...

Pages