27 posts / 0 new
Last post
MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3556
Equal justice? Unlikely.
English

Hmm. Thought for the day. Rolf Harris prosecutors said in a statement the public need to rest assured that no matter how long ago the alleged offences, allegations will always be pursued and persecutors of such heinous crimes will be brought to justice. (In lieu of the exact statement I am paraphrasing, but it was words to that effect.)

Total rubbish. While Joe Public, MPs and media personalities are fair game, if similar allegations ever bubbled-up about a member of this country's aristocracy, or dare I even say a member of its royalty, they would never, ever see the light of day.

:silenced:

Marsbardark's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 05/10/2011 - 12:14
Posts: 231
RE: Equal justice? Unlikely.

The press love to see a celebrity brought to justice ( Rolf should be hanged). But there are thousands of sick suckers in this country from the working class to a prime minister that have done far worse than Rolf.

Music: TEAC ah300-mk 3, Mordaunt Short. Mezzo 1 Headphones : akg - k 3003i, philips x1, klipsch x10i. Vision: Panasonic tx42 gt50, Panasonic bdt320, denon dvd 1930, Onkyo htx - 22hd 5.1IPad 2, ipodtouch, ipod classic, macbook pro

 

Benedict_Arnold's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 16/01/2013 - 21:20
Posts: 800
RE: Equal justice? Unlikely.

MajorFubar wrote:

Hmm. Thought for the day. Rolf Harris prosecutors said in a statement the public need to rest assured that no matter how long ago the alleged offences, allegations will always be pursued and persecutors of such heinous crimes will be brought to justice. (In lieu of the exact statement I am paraphrasing, but it was words to that effect.)

Total rubbish. While Joe Public, MPs and media personalities are fair game, if similar allegations ever bubbled-up about a member of this country's aristocracy, or dare I even say a member of its royalty, they would never, ever see the light of day.

:silenced:

Do you have any particular aristos or Royals in mind?  Methinks if Lord Lucan had been (is?) ever found alive he'd be in the dock quick enough.  Princess Anne got her fair share of speeding tickets in the past, and Prince Harry was given a roasting by the press and his family over his roll-ups.  His father made him do community service to boot.

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3556
RE: Equal justice? Unlikely.

I'm not talking about speeding tickets and wacky backy. But no, I have no-one in mind exactly. It's just a general statement that I truly believe some people are untouchable no matter what they've done. And the heirarchy would ensure we never found out anyway.

Marsbardark's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 05/10/2011 - 12:14
Posts: 231
RE: Equal justice? Unlikely.

Yeah until there past it or dead.

Music: TEAC ah300-mk 3, Mordaunt Short. Mezzo 1 Headphones : akg - k 3003i, philips x1, klipsch x10i. Vision: Panasonic tx42 gt50, Panasonic bdt320, denon dvd 1930, Onkyo htx - 22hd 5.1IPad 2, ipodtouch, ipod classic, macbook pro

 

Benedict_Arnold's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 16/01/2013 - 21:20
Posts: 800
RE: Equal justice? Unlikely.

'Twas ever so and probably always will be.

Coppers, journos ('cept WHF ones, of course, who NEVER break the law, he, he), celebs, royals, sportsmen, TV "personalities", the list is endless.

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3556
RE: Equal justice? Unlikely.

Marsbardark wrote:

Yeah until there past it or dead.

And dead for many years, I would suggest. I don't think you have to be some conspiracy theorist who believes in the Illuminati and a New World Order to realise that certain members of our society are / would be absolutely immune to accusations of shall we say particularly sensitive and abhorrent crimes.

Benedict_Arnold's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 16/01/2013 - 21:20
Posts: 800
RE: Equal justice? Unlikely.

[EDITED BY MODS - no thank you]

Marsbardark's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 05/10/2011 - 12:14
Posts: 231
RE: Equal justice? Unlikely.

[EDITED BY MODS - superseded by previous moderation]

Music: TEAC ah300-mk 3, Mordaunt Short. Mezzo 1 Headphones : akg - k 3003i, philips x1, klipsch x10i. Vision: Panasonic tx42 gt50, Panasonic bdt320, denon dvd 1930, Onkyo htx - 22hd 5.1IPad 2, ipodtouch, ipod classic, macbook pro

 

jjbomber's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 22/12/2006 - 00:42
Posts: 799
RE: Equal justice? Unlikely.

The BBC sack Angus Deayton of Have I Got News For You for having sex with two consenting members of the opposite sex. They cover up Jimmy Savile for having uncionsenting sex with minors of the same sex. Go figure that one out.

chebby's picture
Online
Last seen: 12 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 16316
RE: Equal justice? Unlikely.

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 13010
RE: Equal justice? Unlikely.

MajorFubar wrote:

Marsbardark wrote:

Yeah until there past it or dead.

And dead for many years, I would suggest. I don't think you have to be some conspiracy theorist who believes in the Illuminati and a New World Order to realise that certain members of our society are / would be absolutely immune to accusations of shall we say particularly sensitive and abhorrent crimes.

Historically you might be correct, I doubt that'll be the case going forward, the spotlight is firmly on this now, victims know they're more likely to be believed, the authorities know that if they try to cover anything up there's very likely to be a whistleblower waiting to email everything to the press, the press themselves are now looking for the most high profile legitimate offenders they can get, as it's now much harder for them to just make stuff up, so they won't be interested in covering anything up (unless it's them doing it but there's always the Guardian waiting to screw the others into the dirt...), the royals (ok, mainly Harry) now know that whatever they do there's going to be someone around with a camera or phone waiting to record everything they do, privacy for them is somewhat a thing of the past I think.

As long as the public doesn't get fooled into thinking this is a problem of the 1970s I think you'll see a lot more convictions for this sort of thing, at every level of society.

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 13010
RE: Equal justice? Unlikely.

jjbomber wrote:

The BBC sack Angus Deayton of Have I Got News For You for having sex with two consenting members of the opposite sex.

I think that was more due to the use of narcotics then anything else.

Quote:
They cover up Jimmy Savile for having uncionsenting sex with minors of the same sex. Go figure that one out.

I don't think there's been any suggestion that the BBC knew the full extent of what Savile was doing (I'm not sure how much happened on BBC premises mind you) and I suspect there are plenty of other institutions much more to blame for not saying anything (most of the hospitals he was involved with for example).

jjbomber's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 22/12/2006 - 00:42
Posts: 799
RE: Equal justice? Unlikely.

The_Lhc wrote:

jjbomber wrote:

The BBC sack Angus Deayton of Have I Got News For You for having sex with two consenting members of the opposite sex.

I think that was more due to the use of narcotics then anything else.

But they kept on Magenta Da Vine and even paid for her rehab. Double standards whichever way you look at it.

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3556
RE: Equal justice? Unlikely.

The_Lhc wrote:

Historically you might be correct, I doubt that'll be the case going forward, the spotlight is firmly on this now, victims know they're more likely to be believed, the authorities know that if they try to cover anything up there's very likely to be a whistleblower waiting to email everything to the press, the press themselves are now looking for the most high profile legitimate offenders they can get, as it's now much harder for them to just make stuff up, so they won't be interested in covering anything up (unless it's them doing it but there's always the Guardian waiting to screw the others into the dirt...), the royals (ok, mainly Harry) now know that whatever they do there's going to be someone around with a camera or phone waiting to record everything they do, privacy for them is somewhat a thing of the past I think.

As long as the public doesn't get fooled into thinking this is a problem of the 1970s I think you'll see a lot more convictions for this sort of thing, at every level of society.

I see where you're coming from, but I remain unconvinced. This is purely theoretical of course with not even a hint of alleged suggestion about anyone in particular, but I remain sure that if someone at the absolute very top of our society was at all accused of this level of impropriety, the accuser[s] would be silenced and you'd never hear anything of it. I fully agree that the media will be in a frenzy now to dig up the dirt on the most high-profile people they possibly can, but some individuals remain out of bounds. The media itself is controlled by very powerful people. It would be considered 'not in the interest of the country' to follow-up the allegations and prosecute.

pauln's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 26/02/2008 - 13:10
Posts: 700
RE: Equal justice? Unlikely. RE: Equal justice? Unlikely.

MajorFubar wrote:

 the accuser[s] would be silenced and you'd never hear anything of it.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments