26 posts / 0 new
Last post
toyota man's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 22/04/2009 - 22:55
Posts: 1773
Canon EOS 7D or what £1500 to spend

Hi all I have been away from photography for many years I used to have a pair of pentax mxs a 28mm 2.8 135mm 2.5 50mm 1,7  and a motor drive      I was thinking canon eos 7d plus i8mm to 135mm  I am going to use it for holiday snaps family photos and music festivals (Down load)  any other sugggestions would be very welcome I am so out of touch  are prime lenses a good idea? SmileSmile

Musical Fidelity M6500i Musical FidelityM6 CDP ATC SCM 40s Cord Chameleon plus XLRs Tellurium Q Black speaker cables

simonlewis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 15/04/2008 - 10:17
Posts: 4227
RE: Canon EOS 7D or what £1500 to spend

Does it have to be a SLR or will a bridge camera do, i don't know much about cameras but £1500 sounds like a lot of money.

toyota man's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 22/04/2009 - 22:55
Posts: 1773
RE: Canon EOS 7D or what £1500 to spend

simonlewis wrote:

Does it have to be a SLR or will a bridge camera do, i don't know much about cameras but £1500 sounds like a lot of money.

 not sure whats a bridge camera I have a panasonic lumix dmc t220 16mp which has a leica lens . I would like to get back into photography thats the main reason why I would like an slr  :cheers:

Musical Fidelity M6500i Musical FidelityM6 CDP ATC SCM 40s Cord Chameleon plus XLRs Tellurium Q Black speaker cables

simonlewis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 15/04/2008 - 10:17
Posts: 4227
RE: Canon EOS 7D or what £1500 to spend

A bridge camera is inbetween a compact camera & a SLR, you have all the manual controls of a SLR but also the ease of use of a compact camera, it looks like an SLR but it dosen't have interchangable lenses & it's not as expensive.

toyota man's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 22/04/2009 - 22:55
Posts: 1773
RE: Canon EOS 7D or what £1500 to spend

simonlewis wrote:

A bridge camera is inbetween a compact camera & a SLR, you have all the manual controls of a SLR but also the ease of use of a compact camera, it looks like an SLR but it dosen't have interchangable lenses & it's not as expensive.

Thanks for  that  I do need to be able to change lenes though  . 

Musical Fidelity M6500i Musical FidelityM6 CDP ATC SCM 40s Cord Chameleon plus XLRs Tellurium Q Black speaker cables

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 26/11/2010 - 21:44
Posts: 3238
RE: Canon EOS 7D or what £1500 to spend

7D is a pretty serious piece of kit, do you have an interest on sport or bird photography?  It has very impressive metering and AF, but in all honesty the ISO performance and dynamic range are OK at best.

 

If you are not interested in photographing very fast moving subjects, I would seriously consider going down the compact system camera route.  I sold my 7D a while a go and bought a Sony NEX 5N, and have been very impressed.  So impressed, that I am in the process of selling my 5D 2 and all my Canon gear.  The NEX 5N sensor is larger than the 7Ds, better ISO performance and better dynamic range.

 

If I was you, I would consider the Sony NEX 6, Olympus OM-D E5, FUJI X-E1 etc.  If you want to use your Pentax lenses with an adaptor, get something like the Sony or Canon EOS M as the larger the sensor, the closer the focal lengths will be to their intended length.  The EOS M is a nice camera, but be aware the focus is pretty sluggish.  It has been suggested Canon gimped this camera as not to damage DSLR sales too much.

toyota man's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 22/04/2009 - 22:55
Posts: 1773
RE: Canon EOS 7D or what £1500 to spend

Paul. wrote:

7D is a pretty serious piece of kit, do you have an interest on sport or bird photography?  It has very impressive metering and AF, but in all honesty the ISO performance and dynamic range are OK at best.

 

If you are not interested in photographing very fast moving subjects, I would seriously consider going down the compact system camera route.  I sold my 7D a while a go and bought a Sony NEX 5N, and have been very impressed.  So impressed, that I am in the process of selling my 5D 2 and all my Canon gear.  The NEX 5N sensor is larger than the 7Ds, better ISO performance and better dynamic range.

 

If I was you, I would consider the Sony NEX 6, Olympus OM-D E5, FUJI X-E1 etc.  If you want to use your Pentax lenses with an adaptor, get something like the Sony or Canon EOS M as the larger the sensor, the closer the focal lengths will be to their intended length.  The EOS M is a nice camera, but be aware the focus is pretty sluggish.  It has been suggested Canon gimped this camera as not to damage DSLR sales too much.

Hi and thanks I will look into the sony and olympus can you change lenses on these two ? I looked at the eos 7d when we still had jessops  and I thought it would do what I wanted but as I say I am very out of touch . a quick auto focus is a must do you know if nikon dslrs are any better on that front also  low light photographs is important I take it that is down to the ISO preformance :cheers: :cheers:

Musical Fidelity M6500i Musical FidelityM6 CDP ATC SCM 40s Cord Chameleon plus XLRs Tellurium Q Black speaker cables

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23201
RE: Canon EOS 7D or what £1500 to spend

In my opinion, with your budget any DSLR or compact mirrorless camera will give you spectacular results, even in very dim light.  I like the heft of the 7D but the same sensor is in the much cheaper 60D and 650D, so I would be inclined to get the cheapest one and put some good glass in front of it. 

If I was sticking with Canon I'd probably get the 650D, grip, Sigma 18-50 f2.8 and Canon 70-200 f4 as a starter kit.  If I was starting again I might look at the Pentax K5 which has a great sensor and takes loads of old Pentax lenses.  If I was being left field I might look at Sony, whose Electronic Viewfinder you might find very practical.

Note that from an image quality point of view, Paul is right about the Sony NEX range, but personally I find them too small.

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com

System burgeoning

toyota man's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 22/04/2009 - 22:55
Posts: 1773
RE: Canon EOS 7D or what £1500 to spend

Paul. wrote:

7D is a pretty serious piece of kit, do you have an interest on sport or bird photography?  It has very impressive metering and AF, but in all honesty the ISO performance and dynamic range are OK at best.

 

If you are not interested in photographing very fast moving subjects, I would seriously consider going down the compact system camera route.  I sold my 7D a while a go and bought a Sony NEX 5N, and have been very impressed.  So impressed, that I am in the process of selling my 5D 2 and all my Canon gear.  The NEX 5N sensor is larger than the 7Ds, better ISO performance and better dynamic range.

 

If I was you, I would consider the Sony NEX 6, Olympus OM-D E5, FUJI X-E1 etc.  If you want to use your Pentax lenses with an adaptor, get something like the Sony or Canon EOS M as the larger the sensor, the closer the focal lengths will be to their intended length.  The EOS M is a nice camera, but be aware the focus is pretty sluggish.  It has been suggested Canon gimped this camera as not to damage DSLR sales too much.

Ive just looked at the sony nex 6 online looks good and it well within budget :cheers:

Musical Fidelity M6500i Musical FidelityM6 CDP ATC SCM 40s Cord Chameleon plus XLRs Tellurium Q Black speaker cables

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 26/11/2010 - 21:44
Posts: 3238
RE: Canon EOS 7D or what £1500 to spend

Compact System Cameras are fast to auto focus, but not as quick as DSLRs.  They allow you to change lenses, but are significantly lighter and smaller than DSLRs as the mirror/prism setup is removed.  They are faster than SLRs from a few years ago though, the Olympus specifically.  With regards to ISO, yep that refers to the low light performance.  Just because a camera has a high ISO function it does not necessarily mean the camera will perform well in low light however, so I tent to go by the DxO Mark web site to find out how good the performance is.

 

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Database

toyota man's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 22/04/2009 - 22:55
Posts: 1773
RE: Canon EOS 7D or what £1500 to spend

Hi all very helpfull advice I am at the very start of my journey back into photography and plan to start looking on the weekend our john lewis has a good range of cameras many thanks to all :cheers: :cheers:

Musical Fidelity M6500i Musical FidelityM6 CDP ATC SCM 40s Cord Chameleon plus XLRs Tellurium Q Black speaker cables

fr0g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 hours ago
Joined: 07/01/2008 - 18:38
Posts: 3425
RE: Canon EOS 7D or what £1500 to spend

I would also include the new Canon EOS 6D. Full frame sensor . Will beat any of the previously mentioned cameras on pure PQ.

 

One thing a good proper dSLR has over the mini-me equivalents is a far more user-friendly user experience IMO, ie lots of control dials and not too much  that is often required quickly hidden away in a sea of menus. Downside is the size of course.

 

Personally I like to have a very nice compact camera, and a decent dSLR too. Which reminds me, I need to update both! (currently a Panasonic LX3 and a Canon 40D).

 

 

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 26/11/2010 - 21:44
Posts: 3238
RE: Canon EOS 7D or what £1500 to spend

The 6D is £100 over budget with no lenses though?  

toyota man's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 22/04/2009 - 22:55
Posts: 1773
RE: Canon EOS 7D or what £1500 to spend

is the 6 d the way to go then I read a review which was a good one a bit over budget by £300 with lens but it should be a keeper and last me for some years to come . I must say Ive always liked slrs my first was a zenit em with pentax screw thread lenses  I used to develope and print all my own stuff

Musical Fidelity M6500i Musical FidelityM6 CDP ATC SCM 40s Cord Chameleon plus XLRs Tellurium Q Black speaker cables

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23201
RE: Canon EOS 7D or what £1500 to spend

To be honest, unless you're going to print poster size and understand already the inherent advantages and disadvantages of full frame sensors over the smaller one in eg the 7D, I wouldn't bother. The sensor in the 650/60/7 is fantastic (as are the equivalent ones from Nikon, Sony, Pentax and Olympus), and IMO with the 6D you'd be paying over the odds for quite specialist capabilities and would face compromises in behaviour elsewhere.

Furthermore, if I needed full frame (and tbh it does have some traits that suit me very much) I'd probably be looking at the Nikon D600, which is better specified and better priced.

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com

System burgeoning

toyota man's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 22/04/2009 - 22:55
Posts: 1773
RE: Canon EOS 7D or what £1500 to spend

John Duncan wrote:
To be honest, unless you're going to print poster size and understand already the inherent advantages and disadvantages of full frame sensors over the smaller one in eg the 7D, I wouldn't bother. The sensor in the 650/60/7 is fantastic (as are the equivalent ones from Nikon, Sony, Pentax and Olympus), and IMO with the 6D you'd be paying over the odds for quite specialist capabilities and would face compromises in behaviour elsewhere. Furthermore, if I needed full frame (and tbh it does have some traits that suit me very much) I'd probably be looking at the Nikon D600, which is better specified and better priced.
Cheers I will have a quick look at the nikon Smile

Musical Fidelity M6500i Musical FidelityM6 CDP ATC SCM 40s Cord Chameleon plus XLRs Tellurium Q Black speaker cables

Pages

Log in or register to post comments