Have your say & ask the experts!

What are you listening to?

12663 replies [Last post]
6th.replicant's picture
RE: What are you listening to?

CD arrived this morning cheer

Def' a grower  Cool

Good to hear it in 16/44 as opposed to iTunes AAC 256.

But... disappointing it has all-too typical, contemporary levels of compression - ie, much  shame on you

DandyCobalt's picture

6th.replicant wrote:

Def' a grower  Cool

But... disappointing it has all-too typical, contemporary levels of compression - ie, much  shame on you

Just seen the vinyl release (via Amazon) is delayed till about the 25th. When it arrives, hope it's better sound than the CD Smile

Started getting in the mood with Heathen yesterday.

Pioneer tv + LX85, Sony HW15 Proj, Cyrus DAC XP+/Mono X300/CDXTSE2/PSXRx2, Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands and Maestro centre, B&W CM1 surrounds /PV1D (9.1), CA BD751, Virgin TiVo, Inspire Rega t/t, Benz Glider MC, EAR 834P phono amp; Slee Novo Headphone Amp.TQ Black.

6th.replicant's picture

DandyCobalt wrote:

6th.replicant wrote:

Def' a grower  Cool

Just seen the vinyl release (via Amazon) is delayed till about the 25th. When it arrives, hope it's better sound than the CD Smile

TBH, the CD's sound isn't that bad - not talking Metallica levels of compression / loudness - it's pretty good overall, but it is frustrating that The Next Day could sound even better if it had compression that lets the dynamic-range 'breathe' - eg, al la the 1998 remasters or the revamped Stage and David Live CDs (2005).

steve_1979's picture

Edwin Starr - War

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAsdCFc5Src

I have this song in my Frankie Goes to Hollywood compilation but a friend told me today that Edwin Starr did this original version which is much better. This song is the coolest of cool. Cool

PC > AVI Neutron Five 2.1

Sony NWZ-A847 64GB Walkman > Westone UM3x

DandyCobalt's picture

John Grant's new one "Pale Green Ghosts" double CD

john grant

Quite a mixed album - some very reminiscent of Queen of Denmark, but others on a different tack - though very enjoyable in their own way.

Only listened to the main CD last night - it also comes with a CD of remixes, which (given the nature of the originals) could be very interesting.

Pioneer tv + LX85, Sony HW15 Proj, Cyrus DAC XP+/Mono X300/CDXTSE2/PSXRx2, Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands and Maestro centre, B&W CM1 surrounds /PV1D (9.1), CA BD751, Virgin TiVo, Inspire Rega t/t, Benz Glider MC, EAR 834P phono amp; Slee Novo Headphone Amp.TQ Black.

char_lotte's picture

DandyCobalt wrote:

John Grant's new one "Pale Green Ghosts" double CD

john grant

Quite a mixed album - some very reminiscent of Queen of Denmark, but others on a different tack - though very enjoyable in their own way.

Only listened to the main CD last night - it also comes with a CD of remixes, which (given the nature of the originals) could be very interesting.

Thanks for posting this as it has reminded to me to get it. Loved Lets go to Marz the second I heard it and I keep meaning to find more of his music.

The Malady Of Elegance, by Goldmund.

David @Frank Harvey Hi-Fi, Coventry

Official Record Store Day participants!

steve_1979's picture

Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald - Let's Call the Whole Thing Off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZl-NFiVK2U

Wink

char_lotte's picture

Zoot Woman ......"Things are what they used to be"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5k6Po03rxE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

toyota man's picture

this is a good album even on the first listen

Musical fidelity M6i Roksan caspian M2 cdp Atc scm 40s Tellurium Q black speaker cable  chord  chamelian xlr graham slee novo sennheiser hd598

6th.replicant's picture

Leah Kardos - Machines

"Tags: electronic experimental, soundtrack, vocals, cello, classical contemporary, UK"

Stream from Spotify or Bandcamp.

Bandcamp also has a 24-bit FLAC for "£6.99 or more", which is a wee bit less than the £18 that the bandits at Linn Records are charging for the same  ohhh sure

EDIT: The album's 'lyrics' are email spam, rearranged a la William Burroughs cut-up. And if that technique seems familiar, here's Leah Kardos's 2011 covers EP of songs by some bloke from Bromley Wink

steve_1979's picture

Nickelback - Good Times Gone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRc8TWKMZjs

toyota man's picture

Richard Thompson Electric .I find myself unable to post artwork again is there a way to do it on the mac thats as easy as geting the winning numbers on the lotto  rolling on the floor laughing I am sure it would be much easyer to picki the lotto nos

Musical fidelity M6i Roksan caspian M2 cdp Atc scm 40s Tellurium Q black speaker cable  chord  chamelian xlr graham slee novo sennheiser hd598

hammill's picture

steve_1979 wrote:

Edwin Starr - War

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAsdCFc5Src

I have this song in my Frankie Goes to Hollywood compilation but a friend told me today that Edwin Starr did this original version which is much better. This song is the coolest of cool. Cool

ye

Edwin Starr did our work Christmas party once. He was excellent. 

steve_1979's picture

hammill wrote:
Edwin Starr did our work Christmas party once. He was excellent. 

Nice. excellent!

You must work somewhere really cool. Cool