Have your say & ask the experts!

Film 2010

33 replies [Last post]
ricardo65's picture

Now that Jonothan Ross has moved on, the new series of Film 2010 started last night with a new format and new presenters, Claudia Wilkleman & Danny Leigh. Just wanted to know what everyone else thought about it...

Have to say I was disappointed to say the least...but want to hear what everyone else thinks who saw it...

DavieCee's picture
Re: Film 2010

I don't know if it would work on TV but if I was in charge of the BBC I would be tempted to try pulling Mark & Simon off 5 Live for a trial period. Their "wittertainment" works a treat on Friday afternoons.

Big Aura's picture

The BBC, rather than find someone clever and interested in a given topic, has taken to grooming a stable of talent (though not quite "talent" as defined in the OED), which can be parachuted into any given presenter role.

See Colin Murray, Claudia Winkleman, Graham Norton and Rob Brydon etc.

Although in the case of Mr Brydon, he really stretches the term 'talent' to a level of dilution that would make a homoeopathist blush.

I have some home cinema and Sonos stuff.

chebby's picture

Now I am gagging for the film about Anselm Kiefer 'Over your Cities Grass Will Grow' to appear on DVD. (Some hope.)

I have been a fan of the artist since I first took up landscape photography and since I first came across his work in Simon Schama's book 'Landscape and Memory'.

Thanks to Film 2010 for at least being the first TV programme I recall to ever show his work, even though it was only a clip.

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

scene's picture

For many years I have failed to see the point of Ms. Winkleman, she seems to rely her talent as a giggly schoolgirl, who knows all the right people and I fear the Film CCYY franchise could easily degenerate into a glossy style program, rather than actually giving critical reviews of films...

Hi Fi: Arcam A85, DV88 (CD only), Project Debut II, Sonos ZP90, AE Compact-1.  AV: Arcam AVR250, DV79, Sony BDP-S760, Monitor Audio Silver 8i, RS-LCR, RXFX, Sonos ZP90, Pioneer KRP500A.  2nd AV: Pioneer SX-SWR2, Dell Zino HD, KEF KHT2005.2 eggs, Sonos ZP90.  Cables: That Cable HDMI, Chord Crimsons, CAT6 backbone  Sonos S5s in the bedrooms

The_Lhc's picture
Big Aura:

The BBC, rather than find someone clever and interested in a given topic, has taken to grooming a stable of talent (though not quite "talent" as defined in the OED), which can be parachuted into any given presenter role.

Although in the case of Mr Brydon, he really stretches the term 'talent' to a level of dilution that would make a homoeopathist blush.

Ouch, can't help feeling that's a little harsh on Mr Brydon, he's got a few more strings to his bow than the others have. Or at the very least, he has a bow to start with...

And Winkleman has a history of presenting Arts shows on the radio, so she's not a completely random choice (although I'll admit I've no idea if she was actually any good on those shows...).
maxflinn_banned's picture
Big Aura:

collin murray and talent mentioned on the same pageIndifferent..

he was once co-commentating on a tv poker show, with a successful pro, john duthie. he kept talking over duthie all the time, wrongly describing the play of the various hands, duthie politely kept explaining that what he was saying was probably incorrect, murray actually started arguing with himSurprise, he's a pillock, i thought duthie was going to get up and leave at one point, he was exasperated..

laptop...airport...marantz pm7001...dynaudio dm 2/7's...

Jamboman's picture

The bbc have dropped the ball on this one. Given the audience on Radio 5 on a Friday afternoon and the popularity of moviedrome on youtube there is obviously a huge demand for a good quality film review show. How Claudia Winkleman qualifies for the job is beyond me; what does she base her opinions on? The Culture Show is better by far although they'll muck about with its scheduling just as much as with Film 2010.

professorhat's picture
Jamboman:
How Claudia Winkleman qualifies for the job is beyond me; what does she base her opinions on?

Is this not what a film review is though - an opinion? 

Big Aura's picture
the_lhc:
Ouch, can't help feeling that's a little harsh on Mr Brydon, he's got a few more strings to his bow than the others have. Or at the very least, he has a bow to start with... And Winkleman has a history of presenting Arts shows on the radio, so she's not a completely random choice (although I'll admit I've no idea if she was actually any good on those shows...).

Rob Brydon is quite good on that comedy drama thing set in Wales/Essex (the name escapes me).  He's reasonably good on QI.  He's fine as a presenter of the Call My Bluff rip-off.

He's painful to watch on his new chatshow. 

[edit - it's Gavin and Stacey]

The_Lhc's picture
Big Aura:
the_lhc:
Ouch, can't help feeling that's a little harsh on Mr Brydon, he's got a few more strings to his bow than the others have. Or at the very least, he has a bow to start with... And Winkleman has a history of presenting Arts shows on the radio, so she's not a completely random choice (although I'll admit I've no idea if she was actually any good on those shows...).

Rob Brydon is quite good on that comedy drama thing set in Wales/Essex (the name escapes me).  He's reasonably good on QI.  He's fine as a presenter of the Call My Bluff rip-off.

He's painful to watch on his new chatshow.

I can't help thinking that's part of the point of it though. He was good in that thing where he played the taxi driver (can't remember the name of that either) and he's a reasonably good, if limited in scope, impressionist (I'd argue better than Jon Culshaw, a lot of who's impressions make me wonder if he's ever even heard the person he's attempting to take off) and he can do a little man in a box voice as well, you cannot underestimate the power of that...
Clare Newsome's picture

He's a decent singer, too (as anyone who's heard him on 'I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue' can attest to).

Group Marketing & PR Manager - Computers Unlimited;

Former Group Editor of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and Whathifi.com

Twitter: @ClareNewsome

Big Aura's picture

the point is to make painful to watch pointless telly?  Is this some sort of experiment?

The_Lhc's picture
Clare Newsome:
He's a decent singer, too (as anyone who's heard him on 'I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue' can attest to).

Good point, he's had a number one as well. Record I mean, with Tom Jones. Does an impression of him too, although it mainly consists of him going "Huh!". A lot.

Justin Lee Collins on the other hand does a very passable singing impression of Tom.
The_Lhc's picture
Big Aura:
the point is to make painful to watch pointless telly?  Is this some sort of experiment?

I think it's ironic. Or something.

Either way I think we've established he's far more talented than the rest of the people on that list.

And we haven't even mentioned Fearne Cotton...
Alantiggger's picture

You would think that some new presenters could be found as it is a little boring seeing the same people all the time.

Lounge :  Samsung PS51E6500, Sony BDP S790, Virgin media XL with HD Sports Channels (BT &Sky),  Yamaha RX-V673.

Tannoy Arena 5.1 with stands.(http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/tannoy-arena-96472/review)

Bedroom: Panasonic PX70 TV and a Sony BDP-370 Blu ray Player & Kitsound Boomdock.  (quite superb for sound)

So far  :)