27 posts / 0 new
Last post
John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23081
OnePlus One
English

Oh my god it's *gorgeous*. And for *stupid* money.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/oneplus-one-phone-offers-high-end-specs-for-low-end-price

Invite me! Invite me!

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6431
RE: OnePlus One

Looks nice. Half the price of apple for 64gb is good going. 

grdunn123's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 24/09/2007 - 19:51
Posts: 1557
RE: OnePlus One

Apple 64Gb wouldn't have been my first comparison - if it's at least the sum of it's parts then it'll wipe the floor with any Apple product performance wise. 

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13522
RE: OnePlus One

I think Samsung and HTC will face stiff competition in the coming years from Chinese companies, mainly undercutting on price without sacrificing specs. First the Oppo N1 and now this one. 

jjbomber's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 22/12/2006 - 00:42
Posts: 800
RE: OnePlus One

The challenge will be for the marketing department. Oppo phones habe been brilliant, but who ever mentions them? The N7 is out shortky but has been largely ignored by the media. Will OnePlus learn from their previous job? The jury is still out on that one. Mobile phones are a fashion accessory these days, rather than a performance tool.

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13522
RE: OnePlus One

That's true. Hopefully they'll learn from the rise of HTC.

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 13101
RE: OnePlus One

bigboss wrote:

That's true. Hopefully they'll learn from the rise of HTC.

Rise? HTC are TANKING! As brilliant as their phones are, with every new release they lose market share and money and it's entirely due to their inability to match Samsung's marketing behemoth. There's a lot to learn from HTC but how to sell your product is not one of them...

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13522
RE: OnePlus One

I'm talking about the past; how HTC rose from an unknown company making phones for Orange & T-mobile to being one of the top brands today.

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23081
RE: OnePlus One

jjbomber wrote:

The challenge will be for the marketing department. Oppo phones habe been brilliant, but who ever mentions them? The N7 is out shortky but has been largely ignored by the media. Will OnePlus learn from their previous job? The jury is still out on that one. Mobile phones are a fashion accessory these days, rather than a performance tool.

Indeed, and they've done half the job my making it so pretty (IMHO), but they're also doing quite a good job of creating a stir by making it 'exclusive' (you have to be 'invited' to buy one on social media). They also have the advantage of not being called Huawei.

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 13101
RE: OnePlus One

John Duncan wrote:

jjbomber wrote:

The challenge will be for the marketing department. Oppo phones habe been brilliant, but who ever mentions them? The N7 is out shortky but has been largely ignored by the media. Will OnePlus learn from their previous job? The jury is still out on that one. Mobile phones are a fashion accessory these days, rather than a performance tool.

Indeed, and they've done half the job my making it so pretty (IMHO), but they're also doing quite a good job of creating a stir by making it 'exclusive' (you have to be 'invited' to buy one on social media).

Didn't Google try the same thing with Google+? That didn't work very well. The trouble with being exclusive and cheap is that you don't make any money.

Quote:
They also have the advantage of not being called Huawei.

If they'd called themselves "Huawei Man" they'd at least have the advantage of UK people knowing how it's pronounced (as in "Haway tha lads" apparently).

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23081
RE: OnePlus One

The_Lhc wrote:

The trouble with being exclusive and cheap is that you don't make any money.

It'll be exclusive for, like, five minutes of course, just to work up the lather, then you'll be able to get them in Tescos.

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23081
RE: OnePlus One

The_Lhc wrote:

If they'd called themselves "Huawei Man" they'd at least have the advantage of UK people knowing how it's pronounced (as in "Haway tha lads" apparently).

And got themselves an immediate market...

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

spiny norman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 14/01/2009 - 12:49
Posts: 1030
RE: OnePlus One

John Duncan wrote:
Huawei.

No, don't worry old chap, it happens to the best of us. D'you think it was something you ate? Would you like a glass of water?

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13522
RE: OnePlus One

spiny norman wrote:

John Duncan wrote:
Huawei.

No, don't worry old chap, it happens to the best of us. D'you think it was something you ate? Would you like a glass of water?

:grin:

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13522
RE: OnePlus One

John Duncan wrote:

They also have the advantage of not being called Huawei.

The very fact that they're called OnePlus and not a Chinese name indicates their aim to penetrate the Western market. Let's see how they fare. They have to make sure it's widely available, not like Oppo which you can only hear of and read about, but not see it at your local Carphone Warehouse.

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23081
RE: OnePlus One

Agreed.  At least it's a name people can spell.

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

Pages

Log in or register to post comments