17 posts / 0 new
Last post
spiny norman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 14/01/2009 - 12:49
Posts: 1043
Beats surrender?
English

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/04/lightning-headphone-spec/

Or, to fly in the face of that article's happy, smiley, 'we love Apple and please make sure we get invited to your next launch' spin, Apple now wants to grab all the money people spend on aftermarket headphones for their iThings, by locking out the industry-standard 3.5mm headphone socket.

simonlewis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 21 sec ago
Joined: 15/04/2008 - 10:17
Posts: 3661
RE: Beats surrender?

Another reason to hate apple. 

carter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 27/08/2008 - 23:58
Posts: 1967
RE: Beats surrender?

Could this help with sound quality in any way? I'm guessing it would be digital out....don't see a problem as long as both alternatives are available.

not sure it would be any advantage to me as I use in ear with my portable devices so sq is pretty limited anyway and at home with my over ear I need them to work on multiple devices ipad 2, ps4 remote and amp.
But this could be good for some I guess.

Petherick's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 29/10/2008 - 13:49
Posts: 474
RE: Beats surrender?

But I'm sure it will please some people on this forum that all those appleites will shortly be wearing active speakers (probably in white or red) on their heads.

carter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 27/08/2008 - 23:58
Posts: 1967
RE: Beats surrender?

Um White was last year.....it's all about the black this season.get with it girlfriend.

 

spiny norman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 14/01/2009 - 12:49
Posts: 1043
RE: Beats surrender?

carter wrote:
don't see a problem as long as both alternatives are available.

The suggestion seems to be that in the medium-to-long term Apple could well phase out the 3.5mm stereo analogue socket on it's products, meaning that you'll either need to use active Apple-approved headphones (hi, Beats!  :wave: ) or an add-on adapter to fit between the Lightning socket and conventional analogue cans.

Either 'Made for iPhone/iPad' certification. or an add-on adapter (which would presumably need both a DAC and a headphone amp built-in) is going to increase costs for both third party manufacturers and consumers. Plus an add-on adapter/DAC/headphone amp may be a bit clunky for use with your svelte new iOS device, so encouraging users to buy only Apple-approved headphones (for which read those whose manufacturers pay Apple for approval). Or even just headphones from Apple.

FWIS it looks very much like Apple seeing the size of the premium headphone market and thinking 'Hmm, we'd really should have a big slice of that' – a non-standard, propietary connector, of course protected with an Apple authentication chip so clever third- party companies can't make cheaper unauthorised peripherals, would seem to be a good way to achieve that. In other words, allowing Apple to control the one part of the iOS music playback chain currently in the hands of the free market.

Not to mention the fact users might be 'locked in' to those 'orrible-sounding Beats earmuffs – after all, Apple is quite keen on keeping users within its product corral, and at the moment headphone buyers have an annoying habit of roaming the range of headphones out on the market, and not trotting obediently into AppleStore shearing pens.

BTW, this is written as a committed Apple computer user, before the fanois get all fanboiy.  Smile

carter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 27/08/2008 - 23:58
Posts: 1967
RE: Beats surrender?

Would be for it if it was "as well as" to maybe get a bit of extra sound out of the device however for me worrying about sq for portable devices

Isn't a priority great if it does sound better but most the time sitting on a train or being at work it's just a bit of background noise.
Not sure doing away with the old jack altogether would be to good.

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23081
RE: Beats surrender?

How do you charge your phone and listen to music at the same time?

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

spiny norman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 14/01/2009 - 12:49
Posts: 1043
RE: Beats surrender?

John Duncan wrote:
How do you charge your phone and listen to music at the same time?

Don't be silly: we all know iOS devices hardly ever need charging!  :shifty:

(But there some suggestions that 'Lighning headphones' will also have a extra port to alloow charging, although of course this may be even more speculative than all the rest of this speculation)

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23081
RE: Beats surrender?

Not that I care, am buying Android next...

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

grdunn123's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 12 hours ago
Joined: 24/09/2007 - 19:51
Posts: 1564
RE: Beats surrender?

I managed to peel myself away from Apple recently, felt they were rotten to the core. Now have Android phone and tablet and enjoying the freedom to use whatever brand of earphones/chargers/docks that i want to..... Dance 4 :rockout:

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13664
RE: Beats surrender?

grdunn123 wrote:

I managed to peel myself away from Apple recently, felt they were rotten to the core. Now have Android phone and tablet and enjoying the freedom to use whatever brand of earphones/chargers/docks that i want to..... Dance 4 :rockout:

....except the "Made for iPhone" ones, some of which don't work very well with a Android, especially the remote control.

spiny norman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 14/01/2009 - 12:49
Posts: 1043
RE: Beats surrender?

grdunn123 wrote:
I managed to peel myself away from Apple recently, felt they were rotten to the core.

SWYDT

relocated's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 18 hours ago
Joined: 20/01/2012 - 12:40
Posts: 1258
RE: Beats surrender?

I suppose it couldn't actually be to save space in these ever more slim devices???

 

 

I'll get my coat.

Apple lossless - Netgear Nighthawk - ATV3 - AVI ADM 40.  

AVI ADM 9T used in my wife's system

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3571
RE: Beats surrender?

Always remember you have the right not to buy the company's products if you really don't like the way they're heading or don't like the products on offer. Just in the same way that if you really don't like Zanussi's current range of washing machines you have the right to buy a Hotpoint or a Whirlpool (etc etc). There is no 'communist' regime in place banning you from buying anything except Apple products. Feel free to exercise your right with your wallet.

Ok so now that calm is restored with a little bit of level-headedness...

Notwithstanding the risk that yes Apple 'could' choose to abolish the headphone socket (though I haven't read anywhere that they are), the possibility of DAC-equipped headsets driven by the Lightning connector sounds really good to me. And if they prove popular, manufacturers will be falling over themselves to pay any necessary licence-fee. Hell it can't be very expensive, I've seen basic lightning docks on the right side of £25.

chebby's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 16449
RE: Beats surrender?

MajorFubar wrote:
Always remember you have the right not to buy the company's products if you really don't like the way they're heading or don't like the products on offer. Just in the same way that if you really don't like Zanussi's current range of washing machines you have the right to buy a Hotpoint or a Whirlpool (etc etc). There is no 'communist' regime in place banning you from buying anything except Apple products. Feel free to exercise your right with your wallet. Ok so now that calm is restored with a little bit of level-headedness... Notwithstanding the risk that yes Apple 'could' choose to abolish the headphone socket (though I haven't read anywhere that they are), the possibility of DAC-equipped headsets driven by the Lightning connector sounds really good to me. And if they prove popular, manufacturers will be falling over themselves to pay any necessary licence-fee. Hell it can't be very expensive, I've seen basic lightning docks on the right side of £25.

After paying three billion dollars for their own headphone company they are hardly going to start issuing licences to others.

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

Pages

Log in or register to post comments