59 posts / 0 new
Last post
AlmaataKZ's picture
RE: Bristol Sound and Vision show 2014

bigboss wrote:

Hmmm....interesting! So, if I have multiple HDMI sources (Sky HD, Apple TV etc.), how do I connect them?

Oppo+actives is a minimalist approach. Multiple sources definately = AV receiver. Or AV pre, in case of actives.

bigboss wrote:

It'll be great to meet! Let me know. I'm planning for either Friday or Saturday (mostly Saturday).

Will do early Feb.

AlmaataKZ's picture

bigboss wrote:

Hmmm....interesting! So, if I have multiple HDMI sources (Sky HD, Apple TV etc.), how do I connect them?

Oppo+actives is a minimalist approach. Multiple sources definately = AV receiver. Or AV pre, in case of actives.

bigboss wrote:

It'll be great to meet! Let me know. I'm planning for either Friday or Saturday (mostly Saturday).

Will do early Feb.

Joe Cox's picture

Editor, whathifi.com

Lost Angeles's picture

How do these shows work, do the exhibitors have pre-set times during the day when they are demoing their stuff , say every half hour and you need to pre-book with them to guarantee getting in for a listen or is it come and go as you please. I fancy a trip to Bristol and have never been to one of these before.

Michell Orbe SE. Origin Live Illustrious 2/3. Transfiguration Axia S. Roksan amps. Dali Epicon 3 speakers.

simonlewis's picture

If it's the same as the manchester shows manufactures have pre-set times when they demo although you may need a ticket for the pre-set time but some people get a ticket and don't show up, this was a few years ago though.

Clare Newsome's picture

Lost Angeles wrote:

How do these shows work, do the exhibitors have pre-set times during the day when they are demoing their stuff , say every half hour and you need to pre-book with them to guarantee getting in for a listen or is it come and go as you please. I fancy a trip to Bristol and have never been to one of these before.

Most rooms in Bristol are usually open, walk-in demos. Others - typically more complex kit - have timed demos you either have to queue for or come back later. There's also a series of interconnecting rooms on the ground floor with open product displays and demos: plenty to play with if you do have to wait for a timed demo.

Group Marketing & PR Manager, Computers Unlimited.

Brands represented include Astell&Kern, Audioengine, B&O Play, Canton, Flexson for SONOS and SONOS

TWITTER: @ClareNewsome

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture

bigboss wrote:

mr malarky wrote:

Upgrading both amplifier and speakers?

Yes, that's the plan. Blu ray player as well possibly. So far, I'm looking at Kef R series, with R500 floorstanders as fronts. AV receiver likely to be a Yamaha RX-A3030 or Pioneer SC-LX87. Will look at Monitor Audio and B&W offerings as well.

you're going Big, Boss... Wink

I've upgrade my AV last month, Yamaha RX V775 and i will buy Dynaudio excite X22 central channel next month, just waiting on my dealer stockoff of Dynaudio Excite range. Dirol

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

Lost Angeles's picture

Clare Newsome wrote:

Lost Angeles wrote:

Most rooms in Bristol are usually open, walk-in demos. Others - typically more complex kit - have timed demos you either have to queue for or come back later. There's also a series of interconnecting rooms on the ground floor with open product displays and demos: plenty to play with if you do have to wait for a timed demo.

Thanks Clare, I presume Friday may be the slightly quieter day.

Michell Orbe SE. Origin Live Illustrious 2/3. Transfiguration Axia S. Roksan amps. Dali Epicon 3 speakers.

matthewpiano's picture

I'm torn.  With no show at all in Manchester this year, I would quite like to go to Bristol but, on the other hand, it is a real trek from Lancashire and I'm wondering whether putting me in a building with so much hi-fi kit is a great idea at present. I'm also concerned about travelling all the way down there to find it is so busy that it is impossible to get to hear anything properly.

I might do something different like go to Scalford later in the year.

Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Graham Slee Gram Amp 1 - Rega Apollo R - Exposure 1010 amp - Dynaudio DM2/6 - Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

deanjono22's picture

Just looking at the brands coming to this years show 2014 Joe, im not happy no Onkyo I see so far . I was looking forward to hearing some demos on a new AV amp as my old TX-SR606 is finally giving in now needing 3D compatabilty.

Leeps's picture

Anybody know from previous experience, do any of the Exhibitors publish a demo schedule before the show to give punters a clue about what will be showcased when?

When I went before (just the once) my impression after leaving was that I'd spoken to too many reps talking about black, silver or wooden boxes rather than listening to things I wanted.  I remember going into the Arcam room hoping to hear their AV receivers, but being disappointed as they seemed to be demonstrating their £2k D33 DAC most of the time, which didn't interest me in the least.  Same with Cyrus, Naim and Monitor Audio.  There were products within their lineup that I would have liked to listen to, but the opportunities to do so seemed a bit random.

I downloaded the guide beforehand, so I knew which exhibitors were where, but this time if a manufacturer was demonstrating something I was interested in, I'd be keen to know when this was happening, so I wasn't completely the wrong end of the hotel at the time.

Bluray: Pioneer BDP-450; TV: Panasonic TX-P42G30B; AV Receiver: Pioneer VSX-2021; Speakers: MA Radius R270HD/R250HD/R90HD/R370HD; Spotify>iPad>Airplay

Leeps's picture

Anyone?

Bluray: Pioneer BDP-450; TV: Panasonic TX-P42G30B; AV Receiver: Pioneer VSX-2021; Speakers: MA Radius R270HD/R250HD/R90HD/R370HD; Spotify>iPad>Airplay

jonathanRD's picture

I've never been before, but I have the week off so I am thinking of going on the Friday - no excuse really as I'm only 50 miles away.

Rega Brio & Apollo + Mission 780

Sony BDP S480 Onkyo TX-NR609 Monitor Audio BX2 5.0 BK XXLS400

Leeps's picture

Leeps wrote:

Anybody know from previous experience, do any of the Exhibitors publish a demo schedule before the show to give punters a clue about what will be showcased when?

When I went before (just the once) my impression after leaving was that I'd spoken to too many reps talking about black, silver or wooden boxes rather than listening to things I wanted.  I remember going into the Arcam room hoping to hear their AV receivers, but being disappointed as they seemed to be demonstrating their £2k D33 DAC most of the time, which didn't interest me in the least.  Same with Cyrus, Naim and Monitor Audio.  There were products within their lineup that I would have liked to listen to, but the opportunities to do so seemed a bit random.

I downloaded the guide beforehand, so I knew which exhibitors were where, but this time if a manufacturer was demonstrating something I was interested in, I'd be keen to know when this was happening, so I wasn't completely the wrong end of the hotel at the time.

Any thoughts folks?

Lost Angeles's picture

The 2014 show guide is now available. Only 9 days to go and train tickets at the ready :cheer:

Pages