34 posts / 0 new
Last post
CnoEvil's picture
RE: Bristol 2012 RE: Bristol 2012

chris hollands wrote:

Just returned from a weekend in Sunny Bristol, highlights of the show for me was the Neat Iota, amazing sound from such small speakers, loved the Audio note demo, fantastic sound from 8 watts !!

At least that confirms  the AN room was up to standard......The sound from 8 Watts has to be heard to be believed. :shifty:

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

kev g's picture
RE: Bristol 2012

Yes, thanks to all concerned at Bristol - a great day.

The Kef Blades with Electrocompaniet, the "little" Arcam DAC thrown in & cd player (don`t know the model) was awesome. On The Beatles tracks you could clearly follow all the instruments which came together in a foot tapping musical feast. 

Switching to the R300`s the piano on an Adele track sounded superb - so natural.

Another room to immerse yourself in, for me, was Arcam with the Audiovector speakers - it just drew you into the music.

Other highlights - Dali Epicon 6 with Linn, AE Reference 1 with Naim, PMC 23 & 24 speakers, Vita Audio R4i, the new Focal headphones & listening to a pair of £1700 Grado headphones through a NAD Viso ! 

Naim UnitiLite (FM/DAB), Neat Motive SE2*, Chord Epic cable*

Samsung 40F6740, Sony BDV-E370*

*second-hand

chris hollands's picture

Could someone tell me if it was the Epson TW-6000 being demo`d in the Epson room or an alternative model in the range ?

Thanks guys.

matthewpiano's picture

Thanks Chris and Clare!  I hope they will be at Manchester in the Autumn.  I just couldn't get down to Bristol sadly, though it is my ambition to get there one year as by all accounts it is still the bigger of the two shows.

Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Graham Slee Gram Amp 1 - Rotel RCD965BX - Exposure 1010 amp - Dynaudio DM2/6 - Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

6th.replicant's picture

CnoEvil wrote:

6th.replicant wrote:

Enjoyed the show, well worth a visit. Ta Smile

Did you get to hear Audio Note?

Yes. Not my cuppa char, but at least Audio Note's demo actually sounded like music and didn't hurt my ears - most of the other stuff gave me a headache/earache, literally. (In fact, over 24 hours later my ears still hurt.)

I've not been to many hi-fi/AV shows, but Bristol emphasised the gulf between being a music fan and a hi-fi fan.

Visited room-after-room, mostly full of fellows sitting with their eyes half-closed, heads gently lolling while smiling serenely. Yet, all I heard was hideous vocal sibilance, ear-splitting top-end and boomy, lung-rattling bass. 

An extreme example of music vs hi-fi was REL's demo: the REL fella played a classical/Spanish guitar piece, first without REL sub, then with. Granted, with the sub the guitar had more presence and generally sounded more 'impressive'.

But it sounded nothing like a real/live classical/Spanish guitar, be it performing in a living-room, concert hall or garden shed.

Horses for..., YMMV etc.

BenLaw's picture

6th.replicant wrote:

mostly full of fellows sitting with their eyes half-closed, heads gently lolling while smiling serenely.

ROFL Perfect description!

(I always wonder which of them posts on here.....!)

CnoEvil's picture

6th.replicant wrote:

Yes. Not my cuppa char, but at least Audio Note's demo actually sounded like music and didn't hurt my ears - most of the other stuff gave me a headache/earache, literally. (In fact, over 24 hours later my ears still hurt.)

Cheers 6th.replicant

Thank you for the feedback.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

6th.replicant's picture

BenLaw wrote:

6th.replicant wrote:

mostly full of fellows sitting with their eyes half-closed, heads gently lolling while smiling serenely.

ROFL Perfect description!

(I always wonder which of them posts on here.....!)

Hiding behind curtain peep out

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Anyone know the dance track KEF played at the Bristol Show 2012 plz

8009514's picture

I made a beeline for the Sansui room when I noticed they were present. Had a good chat to one of the guys there. Currently they are in the process of arranging reviews of their kit, and are also negotiating retail outlets. I'm no longer a fan of big seperates so was pleased to see they had a micro system. Would like to see a review comparisn between that and the CR603.

Rich

VoodooDoctor's picture

Did anyone visit the Leema stand?

chris hollands's picture

Funny, i never seem to get to the 4th floor, was always the same when Naim had the top floor to themselves !!

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Thanks for coming along to see us at the Bristol Show.  The track you are thinking of is called (Who?) Keeps Changing Your Mind (Daniel Bovie & Roy Rox Dub Mix) by South Street Player.  There are a lot of remixes out there but the one we used for the Blade demo was from the Hed Kandi Beach House 2010 album.

Hope that helps!

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

[UNPUBLISHED DUPLICATE POST]

David@FrankHarvey's picture

6th.replicant wrote:

And that's just the reps.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

Pages