34 posts / 0 new
Last post
Zag's picture
Bristol 2012
English

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone involved at the Bristol show today - had a really good day, saw lots of top notch kit and experienced some great demo's. As usual the WHF team demo was great as was the KEF one downstairs. Good stuff!

BenLaw's picture
RE: Bristol 2012

Any thoughts / reviews / pics (preferably!) from anyone  :quest:

Paul.'s picture

The product which impressed me most was the Neat Iota I think.  Obviously there were some big amazing systems there, but you expect the big amazing systems to be big and amazing.  The sound the Iotas made was unexpected Smile

6th.replicant's picture

+1 re Iota. Very, very impressive - its sound is so 'big' it's spooky.

Was surprised that most of the hi-fi dems, whether using digital or analogue sources, sounded very bright at the top-end with flabby, booming bass.

ProAc's setup was impressive, however.

Intrigued to note that B&W's home cinema setup had much mains treatment gubbins  :?

Cyrus's kit, partnered with Vienna Acoustics speakers, did not sound bright :O

Arcam fella said the company will continue to support SACD  :clap:

Obviously, there were many of the latest 50in TVs used for home cinema demos. Pioneer was using a Kuro. And the Kuro still reigns, IMHO  Dirol

Lots of the latest 3-D TVs on show - and 3-D still sucks :hand:  

WHF?S&V's ultra-HD, 11.1 - or should that be 11.3 cos it had three subs? - setup was very impressive. The train-wreck sequence from Super 8 looked and sounded spectacular. (Intrigued to note that PMC had supplied ordinaire Gale-type 'pink' OFC cable for its über subs.)

Good to meet folks from WHF?S&V - a decent bunch :cheers:

And props to WHF?S&V for having the aircon turned on its demo room, whereas most other exhibitors did not - eww! :shame:

Enjoyed the show, well worth a visit. Ta Smile

CnoEvil's picture

6th.replicant wrote:

Did you get to hear Audio Note?

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Andy Clough's picture

Thanks for the feedback folks, glad you enjoyed it. We're still here until 5pm tonight, so if you haven't been yet and can make it to Bristol, do come and see us.

Editor-in-Chief of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and whathifi.com

robolowski's picture

CnoEvil wrote:

6th.replicant wrote:

I did Wink but Tbh to me it sounded totally rubbish compare to other exhibitors .the kit looked good though but very flat sound and not nice to listen to.
Kef downstairs was awesome! And I loved pmc 23 and 24 , would love to buy them , best quality speakers on show for me for tbd money!

CnoEvil's picture

robolowski wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

6th.replicant wrote:

I did Wink but Tbh to me it sounded totally rubbish compare to other exhibitors .the kit looked good though but very flat sound and not nice to listen to. Kef downstairs was awesome! And I loved pmc 23 and 24 , would love to buy them , best quality speakers on show for me for tbd money!

Thank you for replying....it's certainly the opposide end of the spectrum to the sound you would be getting from your XQ 30s, so I can certainly understand your view.

Generally, I've found AN can be plonked down in most rooms and sound how it's intended, so it would be interesting to find out if it was just sounding wrong (unlikely to be honest).

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

robolowski's picture

Yeah its certain that audio note isn't my cup of tea Wink . The setup was expensive I think and it didn't sound good to me .
Maybe not best comparison but xtz sounded as bad , but I believe that their gear used was way cheaper .
In both cases the sound made me step out of the room .
All that is only my reflection and I am not judging anyone or anything .

CnoEvil's picture

robolowski wrote:
Yeah its certain that audio note isn't my cup of tea Wink . The setup was expensive I think and it didn't sound good to me . Maybe not best comparison but xtz sounded as bad , but I believe that their gear used was way cheaper . In both cases the sound made me step out of the room . All that is only my reflection and I am not judging anyone or anything .

It is certainly not judgemental to politely state a viewpoint, and taste is individual and never wrong (for the person who has it).

robolowski's picture
RE: Bristol 2012 RE: Bristol 2012

BenLaw wrote:

Any thoughts / reviews / pics (preferably!) from anyone  :quest:

Audio Note that i framed for my mate

Wilson Benesch - very good setup and sound!

robolowski's picture

oh what have i done wrong?

chris hollands's picture

Just returned from a weekend in Sunny Bristol, highlights of the show for me was the Neat Iota, amazing sound from such small speakers, loved the Audio note demo, fantastic sound from 8 watts !!

Really like the PMC Demo, great looking speakers and sound just as good with it !

I am in the process of buying a projector and was really impressed with the Optoma demo, really dissapointed with the JVC 4K Demo, Thought batman looked really grainy and the 3d , although very impressive i thought the Sea demo was a bit old hat .

Would anyone know what the projector was in the Epsom room showing the great isle of man TT Bluray, looked great but did not find out what model it was ??

matthewpiano's picture

Did anyone get to hear the new Sansui kit?  As a long-term fan of the brand I'm intrigued by their return.

Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Graham Slee Gram Amp 1 - Rega Apollo R - Exposure 1010 amp - Dynaudio DM2/6 - Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

chris hollands's picture

Hi Mathewpiano,

I have fond memories of sansui, my father took me to Tottenham court Road when i was about 14 ( with money i had borrowed from my Grandfather ) to purchase my first `Proper  HIFI `and almost purchased a Sansui stack system !!

Thought the sound was pretty good and looks good too.  Certainly good to see them back.

Clare Newsome's picture

More about the Sansui re-launch - including video - in report here....

Group Marketing & PR Manager, Computers Unlimited.

Brands represented include Astell&Kern, Audioengine, B&O Play, Canton, Flexson for SONOS and SONOS

TWITTER: @ClareNewsome

Pages