Have your say & ask the experts!

Sorry folkes !!!

9 replies [Last post]
simonlewis's picture
Offline
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 3078

I was at the manchester show this afternoon & thought i would listen to naim, i've been wanting to do this for a while but finally got a chance today & to be honest i was more impressed with the Bose 2.1 computer speakers i heard in comet a few day's ago, don't get me wrong the naim wasn't bad it was quite good but they cost about two grand & i wasn't impressed enough to consider paying out two grand. 

__________________

formerly known as slewis ---

simon's system

matthewpiano's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Nov 2007
Posts: 7894
RE: Sorry folkes !!!

Don't be sorry - you are entitled to your opinion.  For what it's worth, I've been to the show for the last two years and Naim has disappointed me on both occasions.  Last year I though their room sounded pretty dreadful to be honest.  Will be having another listen tomorrow though, with an open mind!

__________________

Rega RP3/Elys2 - Marantz CD63SE - Exposure 1010 - Dynaudio DM2/6

PC/Qobuz Hi-Fi - NAD C521BEE - Musical Fidelity V90HPA - Sennheiser HD595/Beyer Dynamic DT770PRO

chebby's picture
Offline
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Posts: 15386
RE: Sorry folkes !!!

slewis wrote:
...impressed with the Bose 2.1 computer speakers i heard in comet a few day's ago...

Lucky chap. You have probably saved a fortune with this experience. Actually some Bose isn't bad.

__________________

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

grifz's picture
Offline
Joined: 3 Jan 2010
Posts: 252
RE: Sorry folkes !!!

i agree Naim sounds poor compaired to other demos .  Naim use there own speakers in there demo room which could be the weak link

simonlewis's picture
Offline
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 3078
RE: Sorry folkes !!!

When i went to the show on saturday as i had ordered the ticket online i was told that i had already entered the competition & that all the award winners were in the competition, i automatically assumed that some lucky person was going to win a truck load of gear gadget show style, when i was leaving later on in the afternoon i had to ask someone if it was one item per person in the competition & was told yes. Shock

__________________

formerly known as slewis ---

simon's system

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 12617
RE: Sorry folkes !!!

slewis wrote:

When i went to the show on saturday as i had ordered the ticket online i was told that i had already entered the competition & that all the award winners were in the competition, i automatically assumed that some lucky person was going to win a truck load of gear gadget show style, when i was leaving later on in the afternoon i had to ask someone if it was one item per person in the competition & was told yes. Shock

Err, what's the relevance to the NAIM speakers?

Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 10884
RE: Sorry folkes !!!

The Ovators that were running off the SuperUniti, Naim had somehow got them to sound like their old speakers, but in our demo room they sounded fuller, more rounded. As soon as I heard them I thought that Naim were on to a winner with them. They may not quite be as room friendly as their other designs, but to me they seemed far more in line with what more people would go for in a speaker. They sounded far tighter and leaner at the show though. A lot of speaker for £3k.

 

__________________

David @Frank Harvey Hi-Fi, Coventry

Official Record Store Day participants!

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15588
RE: Sorry folkes !!!

slewis wrote:

I was at the manchester show this afternoon & thought i would listen to naim, i've been wanting to do this for a while but finally got a chance today & to be honest i was more impressed with the Bose 2.1 computer speakers i heard in comet a few day's ago, don't get me wrong the naim wasn't bad it was quite good but they cost about two grand & i wasn't impressed enough to consider paying out two grand. 

This is the problem I've always had with exhibitions. Generally speaker either a company has their kit in a huge open plan area where they're competing next to another - sometimes cheaper - brand or they're confined to a private suit which usually doen't flatter the acoustics.

I've only been to a couple: The last was the Novetel in London and I had a similar experience with Roksan. They were slap bang opposite Cambridge stand and Cambridge had their amp at silly volumes, consequently drowned out the Kandy, even at close quarters.

I'm pretty sure if you were to listen to the same Naim set-up as the Bose in the same room and next to each other your views will change.

Blimey, I'm sounding like a Naim fanboy!Wink

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

kevin7.1's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Apr 2011
Posts: 111
RE: Sorry folkes !!!

I was less than impressed with the speakers Naim were using in their room. Shocked in fact by what i heard. but thankfully there was naim kit in other rooms that sounded great in different setups so i guess i learnt something about auditioning and partnering Kit

Stand out for me was the Neat Acoustics' Iota speakers on a Naim source i think it was a network or all in one player.

__________________

I have some bits of HiFi

Andrew Everard's picture
Offline
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 29118
RE: Sorry folkes !!!

kevin7.1 wrote:
i think it was a network or all in one player.

The new SuperUniti, to be reviewed in next month's issue of WHFSV.

 

__________________

Audio Editor, Gramophone