75 posts / 0 new
Last post
chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 46 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 16126
RE: Don't Buy Pure Radios!

gel wrote:

It seems that everybody gets 97 per cent reliability for digital radios!  Just been reading on their website too, makes you wonder how reliable it is?

And the thing is they work well to begin with so they are going to score well but then they stop working once out of warranty!  But there are some happy people is this thread, I did not know so many people on here were that happy!

I can't talk to you after you infer that I am lying.

Out of here. Good luck with your Roberts radios.

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12951
RE: Don't Buy Pure Radios!

gel wrote:

professorhat wrote:

gel wrote:

Just to tip the readers off about their reliability issues.

Well, out of everyone that has posted so far, you're the only one that has had issues, so they seem pretty reliable to me.

That is true and good to know, but there is also a long WHF thread about unhappy people too.

Do you even understand the idea that the only people who post to internet forums about a product are the people with something to complain about? Can you imagine how dull it would be around here if those 97% all started threads here just to say they've had no issues with their radios? That's not how the internet works!

laserman16's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 23/11/2007 - 18:17
Posts: 2259
RE: Don't Buy Pure Radios!

Well my pure radio has not put a foot wrong yet.

Smile Had a Hotpoint washing machine that only lasted 11 years  with 4 people using it.

Bit disappointing really. Smile

 

gel's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 9 sec ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12986
RE: Don't Buy Pure Radios!

chebby wrote:

gel wrote:

It seems that everybody gets 97 per cent reliability for digital radios!  Just been reading on their website too, makes you wonder how reliable it is?

And the thing is they work well to begin with so they are going to score well but then they stop working once out of warranty!  But there are some happy people is this thread, I did not know so many people on here were that happy!

I can't talk to you after you infer that I am lying.

Out of here. Good luck with your Roberts radios.

 

Huh?   Smile  Where did I say that?  I implied that the which results may be dodgy, not you!  

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11279
RE: Don't Buy Pure Radios!

Pure probably sell thousands upon thousands of radios a year - there will be some issues, and some unhappy people - that's unavoidable!

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

gel's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 9 sec ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12986
RE: Don't Buy Pure Radios!

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

Pure probably sell thousands upon thousands of radios a year - there will be some issues, and some unhappy people - that's unavoidable!

 

The thing is they don't seem to fix the problem, they have just added a firmware update instead!

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 min 49 sec ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12948
RE: Don't Buy Pure Radios!

gel wrote:

chebby wrote:

Which magazine report Roberts Radios score 97% for reliability in survey.   (69% of those surveyed would recommend Roberts to a friend.)

Which magazine report Pure Radios score 97% for reliability in survey. (74% of those surveyed would recommend Pure to a friend.)

 

 

 

It seems that everybody gets 97 per cent reliability for digital radios!  Just been reading on their website too, makes you wonder how reliable it is?   :?

 

Which? is the largest consumer organisation in the UK.

To be honest, Panasonic is far less reliable than Pure, taking numerous complaints into account. Did Panasonic ever release a firmware update to solve the issues, leave alone changing panels? Panasonic denied most of the reported issues, claiming they're "within specification".

gel's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 9 sec ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12986
RE: Don't Buy Pure Radios!

bigboss wrote:

gel wrote:

chebby wrote:

Which magazine report Roberts Radios score 97% for reliability in survey.   (69% of those surveyed would recommend Roberts to a friend.)

Which magazine report Pure Radios score 97% for reliability in survey. (74% of those surveyed would recommend Pure to a friend.)

 

 

 

It seems that everybody gets 97 per cent reliability for digital radios!  Just been reading on their website too, makes you wonder how reliable it is?   :?

 

Which? is the largest consumer organisation in the UK.

To be honest, Panasonic is far less reliable than Pure, taking numerous complaints into account. Did Panasonic ever release a firmware update to solve the issues, leave alone changing panels? Panasonic denied most of the reported issues, claiming they're "within specification".

 

Yeah but at least they didn't stop working.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11279
RE: Don't Buy Pure Radios!

gel wrote:
David@FrankHarvey wrote:
Pure probably sell thousands upon thousands of radios a year - there will be some issues, and some unhappy people - that's unavoidable!

 The thing is they don't seem to fix the problem, they have just added a firmware update instead!

Most things nowadays are sorted by software updates, due to almost everything being software based.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

gel's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 9 sec ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12986
RE: Don't Buy Pure Radios!

bigboss wrote:

gel wrote:

chebby wrote:

Which magazine report Roberts Radios score 97% for reliability in survey.   (69% of those surveyed would recommend Roberts to a friend.)

Which magazine report Pure Radios score 97% for reliability in survey. (74% of those surveyed would recommend Pure to a friend.)

 

 

 

It seems that everybody gets 97 per cent reliability for digital radios!  Just been reading on their website too, makes you wonder how reliable it is?   :?

 

Which? is the largest consumer organisation in the UK.

To be honest, Panasonic is far less reliable than Pure, taking numerous complaints into account. Did Panasonic ever release a firmware update to solve the issues, leave alone changing panels? Panasonic denied most of the reported issues, claiming they're "within specification".

 

Is it just me or have they Which given Panasonic TVs 5:

 

http://www.which.co.uk/technology/tv-and-dvd/reviews/led--lcd-and-plasma-tv/page/reliability/

 

 

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

professorhat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 28/12/2007 - 11:34
Posts: 11026
RE: Don't Buy Pure Radios!

gel wrote:

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

Pure probably sell thousands upon thousands of radios a year - there will be some issues, and some unhappy people - that's unavoidable!

The thing is they don't seem to fix the problem, they have just added a firmware update instead!

It's a firmware problem, so the fix is obviously going to be a firmware (or software if you prefer that term) update. What else would you want them to do?

 

The owls are not what they seem...

gel's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 9 sec ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12986
RE: Don't Buy Pure Radios!

professorhat wrote:

gel wrote:

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

Pure probably sell thousands upon thousands of radios a year - there will be some issues, and some unhappy people - that's unavoidable!

The thing is they don't seem to fix the problem, they have just added a firmware update instead!

It's a firmware problem, so the fix is obviously going to be a firmware (or software if you prefer that term) update. What else would you want them to do?

 

 

Fix it so, it does cost you to update the firmware, and so it works well like Blu -ray player updates, and is easy to do.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

bob.g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 4 days ago
Joined: 30/10/2009 - 11:19
Posts: 417
RE: Don't Buy Pure Radios!

No problem with my Pure Evoke, and when I snapped the aerial off they replaced it FOC, without any query.

 

I think the first word in the post may be superfluous. :shame:

professorhat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 28/12/2007 - 11:34
Posts: 11026
RE: Don't Buy Pure Radios!

gel wrote:

Fix it so, it does cost you to update the firmware, and so it works well like Blu -ray player updates, and is easy to do.

Okay, so I'm assuming you mean "it doesn't cost you to update the firmware" and then I'm looking at this site and trying to figure out where the part that costs you is...

And I'm pretty sure the Pure Radios do update their firmware simply over the wireless network when they're working normally (I think, I don't know, I've never had a need to). Whether they do or don't is irrelevant for this issue though, since when the radio has gone into this mode, that isn't possible, so connecting to computer is the way round this. It would be the same with a Blu-ray player if a firmware upgrade failed on this as well since you wouldn't be able to get to the update menu on the player.

 

The owls are not what they seem...

gel's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 9 sec ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12986
RE: Don't Buy Pure Radios!

professorhat wrote:

gel wrote:

Fix it so, it does cost you to update the firmware, and so it works well like Blu -ray player updates, and is easy to do.

Okay, so I'm assuming you mean "it doesn't cost you to update the firmware" and then I'm looking at this site and trying to figure out where the part that costs you is...

And I'm pretty sure the Pure Radios do update their firmware simply over the wireless network when they're working normally (I think, I don't know, I've never had a need to). Whether they do or don't is irrelevant for this issue though, since when the radio has gone into this mode, that isn't possible, so connecting to computer is the way round this. It would be the same with a Blu-ray player if a firmware upgrade failed on this as well since you wouldn't be able to get to the update menu on the player.

 

 

They Pure told the guy with the Pure Evoke 3 it would cost him to fix the problem:

 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013/apr/08/pure-dab-radio-fault

 

£60!

 

And why a digital radio should need a firmware update is crazy in the first place, my Roberts ones don't need them, they don't stick that on the box!

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments