28 posts / 0 new
Last post
landzw's picture
RE: PS4 confirmed, will sell for £349

bigboss wrote:

At the moment, PS4 seems to have the upper hand: more powerful, almost no DRM, requires no internet connection and is £80 cheaper than the Xbox One.

It sure does, i can buy the game i would like and the PS4 and still have change left over compared to buying a Xbox One

professorhat's picture

Reading through various reports, one thing springs to my mind. Both machines have 500 GB hard drives, but the Xbox One has three partitioned operating systems to allow all its live TV gubbins / Windows 8 business to work and multi-task effectively. This is great for performance, but expect a sizeable chunk of that 500 GB to be used up on these three OSes. We know from the Surface that Microsoft aren't shy about dedicating big chunks of the internal drive to the operating system so this shouldn't be surprising.

The owls are not what they seem...

bigboss's picture

I don't understand the reason for not putting 1 or 2 TB drives. They're not that much more expensive.

Craig M.'s picture

bigboss wrote:

I don't understand the reason for not putting 1 or 2 TB drives. They're not that much more expensive.

Maybe they'd rather you streamed your media content?  At least the PS4 will apparently let you expand it.

It'll be xbox for me though despite some annoying quirks, it has the exclusives I like.  And all the media gubbins they're stuffing it with might have a use - maybe.  :?

professorhat's picture

manicm wrote:

professorhat wrote:

manicm wrote:

Psst all you Xbox One haters: Sony has been lying to you. So secondhand games on the PS4 are unrestricted right? NO! Just read that, like the X1, it will allow publishers to place any restrictions they desire on secondhand games. So sorry, no free lunch for you as well.

At least Microsoft didn't hide anything from the public. This is downright deception on Sony's part.

Where did you read it?

Over to T3 old friend. Like Microsoft, Sony themselves will place no restrictions, but unlike MS they were being a touch too economical with the truth as third-party publishers can place restrictions. 

Just found the article. Seems to suggest this is currently true on PS3 and Xbox 360 as well, but there don't seem to be any issues with these consoles? Also, this is a direct quote from Sony communications director Dan Race:

"When a gamer buys a PS4 disc they have right to use that copy of the game, so they can trade-in the game at retail, sell it to another person, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever."

Very much suggests there will be no issues selling on games once you've played them if you want to.

The owls are not what they seem...

Joe Cox's picture

Hands-on review, pictures and first impressions from E3 2013: Sony PlayStation 4

Editor, whathifi.com

bigboss's picture

Nice! Is Tom Parsons back at What Hi Fi? Haven't seen him around for a while, until this blog.

smuggs's picture

I really cant see the xbox one selling i have owned both the ps3 was aweful and the xbox is class but sony have my vote on this one they have listened to the gamers make a cheap unit and let people buy the add ons like extra controller headset camera online pass ect .

they have admitted there online is majorally flawed and they look like have sorted it by getting a new server in november and charging us at last cod fifa and killzone will be lag free and far less hosts migrations. 

The controller was poor again they have listened made it heavier and spread out the toggle sticks so your not having a thumb war, plus no trigger kits its built with them on.

And the dash board and set up menus are so bad on the ps3 and again sony have copied xbox and made a fun easy to browse fronmt end.

Xbox have got greedy with rules and regulations and forcing people to own the kinect is poor more .

cross game chatting is now on the sony ps4 again spotted a simple flaw and sorted it. 

It looks to me ps4 will win easy and well done to sony for seeing the ps3 as a flop and doing something about it.

now to just allow streaming of bigger files than 4gb would be to good let me get rid of my wd streaming box.

Whats everyone pre ordered 

gel
gel's picture

Good deal here:

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Toys-R-Us/Video-Games/Bundles-and-Consoles/PS4-Console(0107741)?searchPosition=1&cm_mmc=Affiliate_GAN-_-k242901-_-Text-_-Primary&utm_campaign=k242901&utm_content=Text&utm_medium=Affiliate_GAN&utm_source=GAN&clickid=0004e1c85fa8e1cf0ae0cdcadf003d55

simonlewis's picture

Better linky here from gel.

gel
gel's picture

simonlewis wrote:

Better linky here from gel.

Cheers mate.  Smile  If you buy something you can get 10 per cent off that too.

Oldboy's picture

Nice price! I'm waiting for some bundle deals before pre ordering though as let's face it who in their right mind will buy a PS4 with no games or even a PS+ subscription? That would be pointless in the extreme no?

If anyone spots some bundle deals please let me know as it would be much appreciated.

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

Pages