36 posts / 0 new
Last post
AnotherJoe's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2011 - 13:50
Posts: 779
Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu 13.10 Now Available
English

Its a good day for OS upgrades today.

Windows 8.1 is now available from the Microsoft Store (free upgrade for those who already have version 8 ).

 

And perhaps even better news - Ubuntu 13.10 with OpenStack is now available from the Ubuntu website (free)

 

Papalazarou75's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 days ago
Joined: 05/03/2012 - 20:16
Posts: 42
RE: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu 13.10 Now Available

I just installed my free 8.1 upgrade, fast, very fast pc now , see how it goes :bounce:

Benedict_Arnold's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 16/01/2013 - 21:20
Posts: 800
RE: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu 13.10 Now Available

I'm looking forward to Windows 8.1, let's face it Windows 8.0 is a dog's breakfast - not thought through, aimed at people who would autmatically ditch their old monitors for touchscreens, alienated people used to a "Start" button for the last 18 years, etc. etc.

On the other hand, I think I'll wait until Windows 8.1 Service Pack 1 and finding out whether or not the install will wipe my hard disk again before I risk using it.

After using Windows 8 for my work PC rebuild earlier this year, I switched back to 7 for my media PC build - and guess what? - abolutely NO problems with reliability or compatibility and I really can't tell a difference in speed for every day apps.

fr0g's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 07/01/2008 - 18:38
Posts: 2955
RE: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu 13.10 Now Available

Windows 8 on work PC, Windows 8.1 on my tablet now. Windows 8 on my home PC.

(Sticking with 8 on Work and home as I am on Enterprise and it's not fully released yet)

 

I have never understood the problems people complain about. The start screen does the same pretty much. Click on it then type...just what I did when it was a small pop up.

Took me 10 minutes to get accustomed to it and it is much quicker than 7, start up times to general use...

 

8.1 is definitely better and well worth the upgrade.

 

 

abacus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 24/09/2008 - 23:16
Posts: 490
RE: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu 13.10 Now Available

Windows 8 always booted up to the start screen instead of the desktop, which theoretically would be fine for Smartphone/Tablet users except for the fact that most of the computers it was installed on did not have a touch screen, thus making it more difficult then it needed to be for those users.

The standard desktop is better for use with a keyboard and mouse, plus most users have been using it for years and putting a barrier to it (Start screen) was always going to get users backs up. (Poor market research on Microsoft’s part here)

Fortunately 3rd party producers provided Start Button menus for Win 8 (Including booting direct to the desktop) which solved 95% of all complaints about Win 8.

Win 8.1 adds a start button (Although its features are different to the Win 7 start menu) and allows direct booting to the desktop, so should now cause fewer complaints from users. (If Microsoft had done this with Win 8 they would have saved themselves a lot flack)

Bill

Anderson's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 14/04/2013 - 15:30
Posts: 133
RE: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu 13.10 Now Available

Have been exclusively using Ubuntu for the last year.

 

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13199
RE: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu 13.10 Now Available

abacus wrote:

Windows 8 always booted up to the start screen instead of the desktop, which theoretically would be fine for Smartphone/Tablet users except for the fact that most of the computers it was installed on did not have a touch screen, thus making it more difficult then it needed to be for those users.

The standard desktop is better for use with a keyboard and mouse, plus most users have been using it for years and putting a barrier to it (Start screen) was always going to get users backs up. (Poor market research on Microsoft’s part here)

class="MsoNoSpacing" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Fortunately 3rd party producers provided Start Button menus for Win 8 (Including booting direct to the desktop) which solved 95% of all complaints about Win 8.

Win 8.1 adds a start button (Although its features are different to the Win 7 start menu) and allows direct booting to the desktop, so should now cause fewer complaints from users. (If Microsoft had done this with Win 8 they would have saved themselves a lot flack)

Bill

My Windows 8 laptop always directly booted to desktop. It is possible even without 8.1.

daveh75's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 31/07/2008 - 18:54
Posts: 8394
RE: Switched from Ubuntu to Mint

Switched from Ubuntu to Mint because of the god awful Unity and the advertising in the dash...

AnotherJoe's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2011 - 13:50
Posts: 779
RE: Switched from Ubuntu to Mint

daveh75 wrote:

Switched from Ubuntu to Mint because of the god awful Unity and the advertising in the dash...

 

You realise of course that Mint is based on Ubuntu (unless your are using LMDE - which is based on Debian). So its basically Ubuntu with Cinammon/MATE as the desktop environment.

 

 

 

abacus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 24/09/2008 - 23:16
Posts: 490
RE: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu 13.10 Now Available

bigboss wrote:

abacus wrote:

Windows 8 always booted up to the start screen instead of the desktop, which theoretically would be fine for Smartphone/Tablet users except for the fact that most of the computers it was installed on did not have a touch screen, thus making it more difficult then it needed to be for those users.

The standard desktop is better for use with a keyboard and mouse, plus most users have been using it for years and putting a barrier to it (Start screen) was always going to get users backs up. (Poor market research on Microsoft’s part here)

Fortunately 3rd party producers provided Start Button menus for Win 8 (Including booting direct to the desktop) which solved 95% of all complaints about Win 8.

Win 8.1 adds a start button (Although its features are different to the Win 7 start menu) and allows direct booting to the desktop, so should now cause fewer complaints from users. (If Microsoft had done this with Win 8 they would have saved themselves a lot flack)

Bill

My Windows 8 laptop always directly booted to desktop. It is possible even without 8.1.

The dealer must have modified it for you, however Microsoft did not make it easy for a normal user to set it up like that, fortunately I have been working with computers (Of all types) for over 30 years so I know the ins and outs.

BTW: did your Win 8 come with a start button, if so then that is why it boots to the desktop? (Most dealers would install it FOC as it increased sales)

Bill

 

abacus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 24/09/2008 - 23:16
Posts: 490
RE: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu 13.10 Now Available

A lot of Ubuntu users have moved over to Mint as you don’t get any of the bloatware like you do with Ubuntu.  (Ubuntu started to go downhill after Version 10 and for me is not worth bothering with these days, pity really as it used to be pretty good implementation of Linux)

Bill

daveh75's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 31/07/2008 - 18:54
Posts: 8394
RE: Switched from Ubuntu to Mint

AnotherJoe wrote:

daveh75 wrote:

Switched from Ubuntu to Mint because of the god awful Unity and the advertising in the dash...

 

You realise of course that Mint is based on Ubuntu (unless your are using LMDE - which is based on Debian). So its basically Ubuntu with Cinammon/MATE as the desktop environment.

 

No shit (and Ubuntu is itself based on Debian)

But Mint is Ubuntu done right as far as I'm concerned.

daveh75's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 31/07/2008 - 18:54
Posts: 8394
RE: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu 13.10 Now Available

abacus wrote:

A lot of Ubuntu users have moved over to Mint as you don’t get any of the bloatware like you do with Ubuntu.  (Ubuntu started to go downhill after Version 10 and for me is not worth bothering with these days, pity really as it used to be pretty good implementation of Linux)

Bill

Indeed.

Unity has been a boon for Linux Mint.

abacus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 24/09/2008 - 23:16
Posts: 490
RE: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu 13.10 Now Available

Benedict_Arnold wrote:

I'm looking forward to Windows 8.1, let's face it Windows 8.0 is a dog's breakfast - not thought through, aimed at people who would autmatically ditch their old monitors for touchscreens, alienated people used to a "Start" button for the last 18 years, etc. etc.

On the other hand, I think I'll wait until Windows 8.1 Service Pack 1 and finding out whether or not the install will wipe my hard disk again before I risk using it.

After using Windows 8 for my work PC rebuild earlier this year, I switched back to 7 for my media PC build - and guess what? - abolutely NO problems with reliability or compatibility and I really can't tell a difference in speed for every day apps.

No service packs for Windows 8 (Unless Microsoft changes its mind) as Microsoft has moved over to a similar upgrade system that Apple use. (Effectively 8.1 is Win 8 with SP1)

Bill

 

Benedict_Arnold's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 16/01/2013 - 21:20
Posts: 800
RE: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu 13.10 Now Available

Since I got my SSD today I figured I'd go ahead and upgrade to Windows 8.1.  Not sure if I'm under-whelmed, just plain whelmed or overwhelmed right now.

All I know is Kaspersky Pure 3.0 doesn't work with Windows 8.1, which is a PITA given I only bought the anitvirus software the month before last.:wall: :wall:

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13199
RE: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu 13.10 Now Available

abacus wrote:

bigboss wrote:

abacus wrote:

Windows 8 always booted up to the start screen instead of the desktop, which theoretically would be fine for Smartphone/Tablet users except for the fact that most of the computers it was installed on did not have a touch screen, thus making it more difficult then it needed to be for those users.

The standard desktop is better for use with a keyboard and mouse, plus most users have been using it for years and putting a barrier to it (Start screen) was always going to get users backs up. (Poor market research on Microsoft’s part here)

Fortunately 3rd party producers provided Start Button menus for Win 8 (Including booting direct to the desktop) which solved 95% of all complaints about Win 8.

Win 8.1 adds a start button (Although its features are different to the Win 7 start menu) and allows direct booting to the desktop, so should now cause fewer complaints from users. (If Microsoft had done this with Win 8 they would have saved themselves a lot flack)

Bill

My Windows 8 laptop always directly booted to desktop. It is possible even without 8.1.

The dealer must have modified it for you, however Microsoft did not make it easy for a normal user to set it up like that, fortunately I have been working with computers (Of all types) for over 30 years so I know the ins and outs.

BTW: did your Win 8 come with a start button, if so then that is why it boots to the desktop? (Most dealers would install it FOC as it increased sales)

Bill

 

No, I upgraded my Win 7 laptop to Windows 8. It did not come with a start button. I installed a third party application for that (pokki).

Pages

Log in or register to post comments