Not checked the Sony one in flesh, but they claim its carbon fibre body is stronger than aluminium. Reviews suggest it does flex a bit though.
My Home Cinema Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90
Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H
Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router
I would recommend not o go for ultrbooks since they don’t have much life span and for that money you can just buy a netbook or a tab.
Edited by mods for spam link
Sarah the general idea is when you spam is you don't give out your real name.
formerly known as slewis ---
I don't think the spammer's name is Sarah.
Received an email this morning. Shipped from Qingdao (the very East of China), and according to TNT website, has arrived in Liege Euro Hub, Belgium!
Estimated delivery date is 1st July.
It arrived today!!!
Typing from it. Looks very nice & feels very light!!!
Congrats bb glad you are happy with it, you can upgrade to windows 8.1 now. ;)
Already done that. Check the Windows thread.
How are you getting on with the new pro?
Very well actually! I'll just list the pros & cons I've noted so far:
1) Very light and beautifully made. Quite sturdy. It flexes a bit, but that's what carbon fibre is meant to do, making it more resistant to cracking if dropped.
2) Keyboad is superb, the best I've come across. Even better than my MacBook Pro's.
3) Touch screen is very good. Quite responsive. It adds to the Windows 8 experience.
4) Full HD display is gorgeous. Eye popping picture, and wide viewing angles.
5) Start up time is amazing. Takes only 3 secs to switch on, and 1-2 secs to wake up from sleep. I never imagined Windows to ever beat Mac's start up times, but it's happened.
6) SSD is quiet.
7) Battery life is amazing. I've used it for 5 hours at a stretch, and about 20% was still remaining.
8 ) Sound is pretty good for an ultrabook of this size. OF course, for music purposes, you'll need an external speaker.
9) NFC works well, in transferring webpages, pictures etc. from the ultrabook to my phone. I'm yet to figure out how can I do vice versa.
1) Track pad is a bit frustating to use. It's invisibly divided into left & right mouse button, which takes a little getting used to. When I'm swiping across the trackpad, it sometimes annoyingly goes to the next open window. Sometimes, it doesn't register your input. I'm told an update will come from Sony soon.
2) Because of the full HD display, the windows are effectively "upscaled", which looks like SD on an HD screen. The apps display well though.
3) During installation of updates, the fan noise was quite loud. Thankfully it's quiet during normal operation.
The UK version gets only SATA SSD, while the US version gets the faster PCIe SSD.
I've initiated a replacement today. Wifi keeps dropping on mine, requiring an adapter reset! Tried updating drivers but no joy.
Seems to be an Intel issue rather than Sony according to various forums. I've hear even bluetooth is flaky, not tried bluetooth properly on mine as yet.
If the 2nd one is a dud as well, may have to go with MBA with Windows 8 dual boot as previously suggested.
Replacement arriving on Monday.
Meanwhile, a driver update has been posted on Sony website, the same day when Apple posted the driver update for MacBook Air, indicating it's an Intel issue and not Sony / Apple.
The second Sony Vaio Pro 13 was no better with WiFi, so returned that as well and ordered a Sony Vaio multiflip 13A. Again, that had issues with WiFi dropouts, plus the fan noise was quite loud even when no active programmes were running. I returned it within 3 days.
I've now ordered a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga. Reviews are excellent. Here's hoping my quest for the perfect ultrabook ends here.
These are the specs I ordered. Should arrive by Monday.
- Intel Core i5-4200U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 2.60GHz)
- Windows 8.1 64
- Windows 8.1 64 - WE MUI
- Touch & Pen, FHD (1920 x 1080)
- Intel HD Graphics 4400
- 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3L on MB
- Keyboard Backlit - UK English
- ClickPad without NFC antenna & module
- 720p HD Camera
- 256 GB Solid State Drive, Serial ATA3 eDrive Capable
- Battery (LiPolymer 47Wh)
- Country Pack United Kingdom with Line cord & 45W AC adapter
- Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260AC with Bluetooth 4.0
- Publication - WE (FR/GE/IT/DU/EN)
- 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
© 2013 Haymarket Publishing