62 posts / 0 new
Last post
bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13520
RE: What ultrabook?

dreddric wrote:

I am really happy with my Toshiba Z930 (i7, 8GB RAM) and it is so light to carry, but it is not Touchscreen. It initially came with a 128GB mSATA SSD which I upgraded to 256GB, I don't think a 512GB mSATA SSD is commercially available yet? If there is, no doubt it will be very expensive!

The Toshiba U920T sounds similar to what you are looking for, its a Window 8 hybrid (laptop/tablet), but again only with 128GB SSD and not sure how easy it would be to upgrade.  

 

512GB SSD is available, & the prices are falling:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT512M4SSD2-512GB-2-5-inch-Internal/dp/B004W2JL3Y

Thanks, will look at Toshiba as well.

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1188
RE: What ultrabook?

either way, whatever you are buying, I want Biggrin

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3669
RE: What ultrabook?

bigboss wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:

bigboss wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:

might be easier to buy one with the spec you want and a small ssd, then just buy a 512gb ssd and stick that in.

That's an option! Would that not void manufacturer's warranty?

nope, shouldn't do, that's one of the points of having upgradable parts Biggrin

:cheers:

In support of the above....

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony/600069-vaio-warranty-effect-ram-hard-drive-upgrade-done-owner.html

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1188
RE: What ultrabook?

Overdose wrote:

bigboss wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:

bigboss wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:

might be easier to buy one with the spec you want and a small ssd, then just buy a 512gb ssd and stick that in.

That's an option! Would that not void manufacturer's warranty?

nope, shouldn't do, that's one of the points of having upgradable parts Biggrin

:cheers:

In support of the above....

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony/600069-vaio-warranty-effect-ram-hard-drive-upgrade-done-owner.html

 

yep, so long as there is a problem, and everything is back to stock you're well within your rights to send it back.  Otherwise, you do an apple and solder everything in and make it impossible to get inside. 

Just remember, most of the new apple offerings are not upgradable.  At all.

dreddric's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 week ago
Joined: 28/01/2010 - 14:34
Posts: 4
RE: What ultrabook?

bigboss wrote:

dreddric wrote:

I am really happy with my Toshiba Z930 (i7, 8GB RAM) and it is so light to carry, but it is not Touchscreen. It initially came with a 128GB mSATA SSD which I upgraded to 256GB, I don't think a 512GB mSATA SSD is commercially available yet? If there is, no doubt it will be very expensive!

The Toshiba U920T sounds similar to what you are looking for, its a Window 8 hybrid (laptop/tablet), but again only with 128GB SSD and not sure how easy it would be to upgrade.  

 

512GB SSD is available, & the prices are falling: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT512M4SSD2-512GB-2-5-inch-Internal/dp/B004W2JL3Y Thanks, will look at Toshiba as well.

 

You are refering to a standard 512GB SSD drive, some ultrabooks (i.e. Tosh Z930) are so thin that a standard SSD drive is too bulky to accommodate.
An "mSATA" SSD drive is essentially just the flash board (an SSD wihout the casing) looks very much like a 2.5" memory stick, which connects directly to the SATA interface on the motherboard.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/256gb-crucial-m4-slim-msata-ssd-msata-iii-6gb-s-marvell-mlc-flash-read-500mb-s-write-260mb-s-50000-i

As I said, I have not seen any 512GB "mSATA" drives available. Wink

 

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13520
RE: What ultrabook?

bigboss wrote:

 ( while my Windows 8 next to me is stuck in a restart loop  |( )

Turns out that enabling "Fast startup" in power options (enabled by default) is the culprit. Disabled it, & problem solved.

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13520
RE: What ultrabook?

dreddric wrote:

bigboss wrote:

dreddric wrote:

I am really happy with my Toshiba Z930 (i7, 8GB RAM) and it is so light to carry, but it is not Touchscreen. It initially came with a 128GB mSATA SSD which I upgraded to 256GB, I don't think a 512GB mSATA SSD is commercially available yet? If there is, no doubt it will be very expensive!

The Toshiba U920T sounds similar to what you are looking for, its a Window 8 hybrid (laptop/tablet), but again only with 128GB SSD and not sure how easy it would be to upgrade.  

 

512GB SSD is available, & the prices are falling: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT512M4SSD2-512GB-2-5-inch-Internal/dp/B004W2JL3Y Thanks, will look at Toshiba as well.

 

You are refering to a standard 512GB SSD drive, some ultrabooks (i.e. Tosh Z930) are so thin that a standard SSD drive is too bulky to accommodate.
An "mSATA" SSD drive is essentially just the flash board (an SSD wihout the casing) looks very much like a 2.5" memory stick, which connects directly to the SATA interface on the motherboard.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/256gb-crucial-m4-slim-msata-ssd-msata-iii-6gb-s-marvell-mlc-flash-read-500mb-s-write-260mb-s-50000-i

As I said, I have not seen any 512GB "mSATA" drives available. Wink

 

Can't you simply take the casing off from the 512GB drive?

dreddric's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 week ago
Joined: 28/01/2010 - 14:34
Posts: 4
RE: What ultrabook?

bigboss wrote:

dreddric wrote:

bigboss wrote:

dreddric wrote:

I am really happy with my Toshiba Z930 (i7, 8GB RAM) and it is so light to carry, but it is not Touchscreen. It initially came with a 128GB mSATA SSD which I upgraded to 256GB, I don't think a 512GB mSATA SSD is commercially available yet? If there is, no doubt it will be very expensive!

The Toshiba U920T sounds similar to what you are looking for, its a Window 8 hybrid (laptop/tablet), but again only with 128GB SSD and not sure how easy it would be to upgrade.  

 

512GB SSD is available, & the prices are falling: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT512M4SSD2-512GB-2-5-inch-Internal/dp/B004W2JL3Y Thanks, will look at Toshiba as well.

 

You are refering to a standard 512GB SSD drive, some ultrabooks (i.e. Tosh Z930) are so thin that a standard SSD drive is too bulky to accommodate.
An "mSATA" SSD drive is essentially just the flash board (an SSD wihout the casing) looks very much like a 2.5" memory stick, which connects directly to the SATA interface on the motherboard.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/256gb-crucial-m4-slim-msata-ssd-msata-iii-6gb-s-marvell-mlc-flash-read-500mb-s-write-260mb-s-50000-i

As I said, I have not seen any 512GB "mSATA" drives available. Wink

 

Can't you simply take the casing off from the 512GB drive?

 

Good question, I'm not sure to be honest. Although, if it was that simple, surely the likes of Crucial would be selling 512GB mSATA drives by now?

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1188
RE: What ultrabook?

bigboss wrote:

 

Can't you simply take the casing off from the 512GB drive?

 

probably not as they probably have different connectors.  usually the connector board is wired directly to the rest of the unit in the large hard drives and the msata connects are just part of the pcb.

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3669
RE: What ultrabook?

Just for info, there is a deal for a Macbook Pro 13" @ £1200. Don't know if it's of any use but here's the link.

 

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal/ask-direct/18978364?nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_1_0_0_74&a=1664

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13520
RE: What ultrabook?

Thanks. Yes, I've seen the Groupon offer. Strangely enough, I'm getting it cheaper with my 15% University discount, then their supposed "17%" discount.

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3669
RE: What ultrabook?

It is actually quite rare that Groupon offer 'real' deals. I find a good hunt on the net often yields better results.

You do get the odd bargain though.

TheDuke's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 24/05/2013 - 17:14
Posts: 1
RE: What ultrabook?

I've got a Toshiba 830 with 128 Gb and I want to upgrade for more memory but I've got to say, it's a really good machine. The flexy screen can be tricky (it got cracked once when I was on a bus and someone fell on me!) but that aside it's excellent. Don't take them on buses and you're fine.

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13520
RE: What ultrabook?

Finally found the perfect ultrabook - the Sony Vaio Pro 13!!

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-pro/tab/overview

Just ordered it! :cheers:

D3CYPH3R's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 26/08/2010 - 18:57
Posts: 190
RE: What ultrabook?

bigboss wrote:
Finally found the perfect ultrabook - the Sony Vaio Pro 13!! http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-pro/tab/overview Just ordered it! :cheers:

 

That looks all kinds of awesome, been getting pretty good reviews too, Free 4 yr warrenty is also nice, don't think i will ever have that kind of cash to spend on a mobile device.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments