22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Babur72's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 25/11/2007 - 17:52
Posts: 212
Quad-core 27in iMAC or 6-core MAC Pro
English
Paul.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 2 min ago
Joined: 26/11/2010 - 21:44
Posts: 3000
RE: Quad-core 27in iMAC or 6-core MAC Pro

 

If you want a tower Mac I would consider building a Hackintosh as the Mac Pros are quite poor value.  The iMacs are pretty good value considering the calibre of the screen you are getting.  I would keep an eye out on the refurb store for a  27" 3.4 i7.  You should get a significant saving if one pops up, and they are great value.

 

I would usually advise looking at Geekbench to get a benchmark of performance, but the 2012 3.3 6 core Xeon doesn't seem to be on there.  As your post has disappeared, I have no idea what you need the machine for so am limited what I can recommend.

 

 

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 2 min ago
Joined: 26/11/2010 - 21:44
Posts: 3000
RE: Quad-core 27in iMAC or 6-core MAC Pro

After some reading, it turns out it is listed on Geekbench.  The W3680 Westmere processor in the 6 core Mac Pro is the same as the one in the Mid 2010 6 core Mac Pro, which scores 13739.  The 27" iMac with a 3.4 i7 scores 11412, so the Mac Pro is about 20% faster.

 

This doesn't represent multi tasking performance however.

Babur72's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 25/11/2007 - 17:52
Posts: 212
RE: Quad-core 27in iMAC or 6-core MAC Pro

Arghh!

Babur72's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 25/11/2007 - 17:52
Posts: 212
RE: Quad-core 27in iMAC or 6-core MAC Pro

Hi Paolo,

Thanks for the feedback chap.

My apologies. My post disappeared for some unexplicable reason i'll recap largely what my first post originally stated.

Being new to Apple iMAC's, MAC pros & the Apple Lion/Mountain Lion OS i'd appreciate those forum users with experience of them giving me their advice.

The desktop will primarily be intended for gaming, downloading & storing of hi-res audio files, net surfing, photo(Photoshop CS6/CS6 Extended) & video-editing(Adobe Pinnacle pro/Premiere pro/Premiere pro CS6).

I understand the new, slimmer retina-screen iMAC 27" has just been released. But the the new MAC pro isn't expected until the turn of the year. The new iMAC 27" sports a Firewire 800, 2 x USB 3 & 2 x Thunderbolt interfaces. Whereas the current MAC pro only has 2(?) Firewire 800 & 2 USB 3 ports. Even after contacting Apple's UK sales support help-line, i'm still uncertain whether the new MAC pro will be equipped with the broader bandwith & faster data transfer speeds of the newer Thunderbolt interface.

Although the iMAC 27" allows some degree of upgrading of RAM chipsets & a choice of rotary or solid-state hard-drives but, thanks to it's modular design, the MAC pro's 4 hard-drive bays can be installed with rotary, solid-state or a combination of both hard-drives - Although i'm not sure whether a desktop containing 2 different forms of hard-drive would hinder system efficiency. And can also allow upgrading of the graphics-card.

Any relevant advice will be much appreciated.

Regards & thanks.

BABUR.

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 2 min ago
Joined: 26/11/2010 - 21:44
Posts: 3000
RE: Quad-core 27in iMAC or 6-core MAC Pro

If you were interested in gaming, the Mac Pro may be of use as the iMac is limited to laptop GPUs,  the GPU may not be powerful enough to saturate that lovely high res display at the frame rates you require.  The iMac is more than fast enough for for video editing, I know a number of people who use the iMac professionally for such work, in fact my 17" i7 Macbook Pro has proven quite spritely using Final Cut X with a Drobo disk array attached by Firewire 800.

 

I wouldn't get too hung up on storage, as Thunderbolt is more than fast enough for using external hard disks for transferring video files etc.  As mentioned, I have used Firewire 800 for editing video in Final Cut X, this was a mixture of 1080p footage from a Canon 7D and a Canon 5D mk2 and noticed no lag.  Obviously transferring video would be significantly faster with thunderbolt, but Firewire 800 is fast enough for editing.  You can now buy Drobos with thunderbolt, as well as other manufacturers such as Lacie and Pegasus that make disk arrays fast enough that you wont notice they are external.

 

With regards to Thunderbolt on the Mac Pro,  it will get it eventually.  Apple support wont tell you anything however!  Even if it didn't,  Thunderbolt is just a PCI Extension bus with display port added on, as a result you can buy Thunderbolt PCI Express cards to add on the capabilities to existing Tower PCs such as the Mac Pro.

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 2 min ago
Joined: 26/11/2010 - 21:44
Posts: 3000
RE: Quad-core 27in iMAC or 6-core MAC Pro

Babur72 wrote:
. Although the iMAC 27" allows some degree of upgrading of RAM chipsets & a choice of rotary or solid-state hard-drives but, thanks to it's modular design, the MAC pro's 4 hard-drive bays can be installed with rotary, solid-state or a combination of both hard-drives - Although i'm not sure whether a desktop containing 2 different forms of hard-drive would hinder system efficiency. And can also allow upgrading of the graphics-card. Any relevant advice will be much appreciated. Regards & thanks. BABUR.

 

The latest iMac has what Apple calls "Fusion Drive", this is a combination of rotary and solid state drive not dissimilar to hybrid drives in PCs, but better.  It works in a similar fashion to enterprise grade servers, with  technology called auto tiering.  It means that regularly used stuff will get copied to the SSD, and un important stuff will get copied to the rotary HD when processor cycles are low.  This should speed things up nicely, getting the benefit of fast SSD drives and cheap rotary storage.  I would assume the Mac Pro will get this eventually, but who knows when that tech will come out.  Apple have made it pretty clear the workstation market is not a priority for them anymore.

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3556
RE: Quad-core 27in iMAC or 6-core MAC Pro

I've never had a pro nor seen one in use, but upto now I've not found anything which my 3.4 i7 iMac doesn't take in its stride, including streaming music, video editing, multitrack audio mixing and photo editing.

As for gaming...to be honest if gaming was a priority for me just about the last computer/device I would have bought was a Mac. I know you can play games on a Mac, but it's really not the platform of choice.

landzw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 09/06/2009 - 15:36
Posts: 641
RE: Quad-core 27in iMAC or 6-core MAC Pro

Babur72 wrote:

Hi Paolo, Thanks for the feedback chap. My apologies. My post disappeared for some unexplicable reason i'll recap largely what my first post originally stated. Being new to Apple iMAC's, MAC pros & the Apple Lion/Mountain Lion OS i'd appreciate those forum users with experience of them giving me their advice. The desktop will primarily be intended for gaming, downloading & storing of hi-res audio files, net surfing, photo(Photoshop CS6/CS6 Extended) & video-editing(Adobe Pinnacle pro/Premiere pro/Premiere pro CS6). I understand the new, slimmer retina-screen iMAC 27" has just been released. But the the new MAC pro isn't expected until the turn of the year. The new iMAC 27" sports a Firewire 800, 2 x USB 3 & 2 x Thunderbolt interfaces. Whereas the current MAC pro only has 2(?) Firewire 800 & 2 USB 3 ports. Even after contacting Apple's UK sales support help-line, i'm still uncertain whether the new MAC pro will be equipped with the broader bandwith & faster data transfer speeds of the newer Thunderbolt interface. Although the iMAC 27" allows some degree of upgrading of RAM chipsets & a choice of rotary or solid-state hard-drives but, thanks to it's modular design, the MAC pro's 4 hard-drive bays can be installed with rotary, solid-state or a combination of both hard-drives - Although i'm not sure whether a desktop containing 2 different forms of hard-drive would hinder system efficiency. And can also allow upgrading of the graphics-card. Any relevant advice will be much appreciated. Regards & thanks. BABUR.

Just to note the new iMacs don't have a retina display and i'm not 100% if you will be able to upgrade the ram after you have purchased the iMac 

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3556
RE: Quad-core 27in iMAC or 6-core MAC Pro

landzw wrote:

Just to note the new iMacs don't have a retina display and i'm not 100% if you will be able to upgrade the ram after you have purchased the iMac 

You can with the 27" model, but not the 21.5".  What you buy it with is technically what it's stuck with.
Babur72's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 25/11/2007 - 17:52
Posts: 212
RE: Quad-core 27in iMAC or 6-core MAC Pro

landzw wrote:

Babur72 wrote:

Hi Paolo, Thanks for the feedback chap. My apologies. My post disappeared for some unexplicable reason i'll recap largely what my first post originally stated. Being new to Apple iMAC's, MAC pros & the Apple Lion/Mountain Lion OS i'd appreciate those forum users with experience of them giving me their advice. The desktop will primarily be intended for gaming, downloading & storing of hi-res audio files, net surfing, photo(Photoshop CS6/CS6 Extended) & video-editing(Adobe Pinnacle pro/Premiere pro/Premiere pro CS6). I understand the new, slimmer retina-screen iMAC 27" has just been released. But the the new MAC pro isn't expected until the turn of the year. The new iMAC 27" sports a Firewire 800, 2 x USB 3 & 2 x Thunderbolt interfaces. Whereas the current MAC pro only has 2(?) Firewire 800 & 2 USB 3 ports. Even after contacting Apple's UK sales support help-line, i'm still uncertain whether the new MAC pro will be equipped with the broader bandwith & faster data transfer speeds of the newer Thunderbolt interface. Although the iMAC 27" allows some degree of upgrading of RAM chipsets & a choice of rotary or solid-state hard-drives but, thanks to it's modular design, the MAC pro's 4 hard-drive bays can be installed with rotary, solid-state or a combination of both hard-drives - Although i'm not sure whether a desktop containing 2 different forms of hard-drive would hinder system efficiency. And can also allow upgrading of the graphics-card. Any relevant advice will be much appreciated. Regards & thanks. BABUR.

Just to note the new iMacs don't have a retina display and i'm not 100% if you will be able to upgrade the ram after you have purchased the iMac 

Yeah, you may be right bud. I understand the retina displays will be restricted to the Macbooks for now. However, i've been told by someone named Kevin on the sales support help-line & a surprisingly knowledgeable chap at the Apple store in Regent St. that the newer 27in iMacs do allow one to customise both Hard-drive &/or RAM prior to purchase & have Apple upgrade them afterwards. Regards & thanks. BABUR.

landzw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 09/06/2009 - 15:36
Posts: 641
RE: Quad-core 27in iMAC or 6-core MAC Pro

Thats would be daft if you can only upgrade one and not the other, though it wouldn't supprise me being Apple

simon3102000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/10/2010 - 09:54
Posts: 180
RE: Quad-core 27in iMAC or 6-core MAC Pro

I upgraded the ram on my 21.5 2011 iMac from 4gb to 16gb.

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3556
RE: Quad-core 27in iMAC or 6-core MAC Pro

simon3102000 wrote:

I upgraded the ram on my 21.5 2011 iMac from 4gb to 16gb.

2011 yes, 2012 no. See here:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/21-5-inch-apple-imac-2012-cannot-be-upgraded

There's bound to be a way of doing it if you've got iron balls, no fear of obliterating your guarantee and a set of screwdrivers, but it lacks the 'official' method, ie dedicated memory slots, present on the 27" model.

Babur72's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 25/11/2007 - 17:52
Posts: 212
RE: Quad-core 27in iMAC or 6-core MAC Pro

Hi guys,

Just thought i'd return to this thread after spending hours drooling over the new Mac Pro.

Which will sport dual GPU's, PCI Express Flash storage & multiple Thunderbolt 2 interfaces.

Can't help feeling that it looks like an oversized Aluminium can with pretensions though.

Regards.

Babur.

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 2 min ago
Joined: 26/11/2010 - 21:44
Posts: 3000
RE: Quad-core 27in iMAC or 6-core MAC Pro

Do it Smile

Pages

Log in or register to post comments