Have your say & ask the experts!

Laptop or Desktop - with optical out

11 replies [Last post]
SteveR750's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 3096

Since my Viao had decided to commit suicide, I'm thinking of replacing it if the repair costs are prohibitive, so just doing some research up front.

 

What would be a good choice for streaming music, I'd need min 6G of RAM, and an optical out. I don't want a MAC so thanks in advance for the suggestion - since I've learned from MajorFubar that iTunes isn't quite as pure and direct as I'd thought, plus I don't have (and probably never will) an iPhone, or any other Apple products.

 

I guess the alternative is to buy a dedicated streamer.

__________________

JRiver MC17 -> Cambridge Audio DACmagic+ -> Roksan Caspian M2 -> ProAc D18 

AnotherJoe's picture
Offline
Joined: 10 Jun 2011
Posts: 783
RE: Laptop or Desktop - with optical out

If the PC has an optical or HDMI out then any will do for music with either windows or linux.

But a streamer is a more convieniant solution.

 

If you're dead set on a pc I'd take a look at pcpro's alist - http://www.pcpro.co.uk/alist

__________________

Server Synology 12Bay DS2413+, Synology 8Bay DS1812+, Sky+HD 

Lounge Samsung UE55D9000, Denon DBT-3313, Onkyo TX-NR5009, Tannoy Arena Highline 500 LCR, ACRyan playon!HD mini2 

Reception Samsung UE46C8000, Panasonic BDP310, Sony STR-DA5400ES, KEF2005.3, ACRyan playon!HD mini2 

SteveR750's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 3096
RE: Laptop or Desktop - with optical out

AnotherJoe wrote:

If the PC has an optical or HDMI out then any will do for music with either windows or linux.

But a streamer is a more convieniant solution.

 

If you're dead set on a pc I'd take a look at pcpro's alist - http://www.pcpro.co.uk/alist

 

Thanks for that, really useful.

 

The ASus N56 does all that my Sony does (did) for nearly half the price. 

__________________

JRiver MC17 -> Cambridge Audio DACmagic+ -> Roksan Caspian M2 -> ProAc D18 

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11415
RE: Laptop or Desktop - with optical out

SteveR750 wrote:

I guess the alternative is to buy a dedicated streamer.

You've answered your own question.

NAS -> Streamer is the best way to go......Now find the one you like the sound of; even if it's attached to a Chord Dac.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

Craig M.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Posts: 2875
RE: Laptop or Desktop - with optical out

Nas + Squeezebox Touch.  No need to EDITED about with media players, or worry about bit-perfectness.  And you still get to be a tart and stick a dac on it, not that it needs one.  You can still use Spotify, too.  It's the route I should've gone really.

__________________

Synology NAS + ATV2 > ADM9RS

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11415
RE: Laptop or Desktop - with optical out

Craig M. wrote:

Nas + Squeezebox Touch.  No need to EDITED about with media players, or worry about bit-perfectness.  And you still get to be a tart and stick a dac on it, not that it needs one.  You can still use Spotify, too.  It's the route I should've gone really.

Craig, which media players have you EDITED about with?

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

Craig M.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Posts: 2875
RE: Laptop or Desktop - with optical out

Only the mac ones Cno, pure music and amarra.  Without wanting to cause a debate, couldn't hear any difference from iTunes.  I don't care about 24/96 et al and would just resample it to 16/44.1 if I really, really preferred the remaster, so it was an easy decision to stick with iTunes.  I'm not an audiophile though... Smile

__________________

Synology NAS + ATV2 > ADM9RS

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11415
RE: Laptop or Desktop - with optical out

Craig M. wrote:

Only the mac ones Cno, pure music and amarra.  Without wanting to cause a debate, couldn't hear any difference from iTunes.  I don't care about 24/96 et al and would just resample it to 16/44.1 if I really, really preferred the remaster, so it was an easy decision to stick with iTunes.  I'm not an audiophile though... Smile

Thx Craig - fair enough.....being an Audiophile is overrated!

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

SteveR750's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 3096
RE: Laptop or Desktop - with optical out

CnoEvil wrote:

SteveR750 wrote:

I guess the alternative is to buy a dedicated streamer.

You've answered your own question.

NAS -> Streamer is the best way to go......Now find the one you like the sound of; even if it's attached to a Chord Dac.

 

Have you got a shortlist (apart from the Sneaky obviously)

 

How do I get my music files from the HDD to a NAS? Come to think of it, how do I get them from CD to NAS?

__________________

JRiver MC17 -> Cambridge Audio DACmagic+ -> Roksan Caspian M2 -> ProAc D18 

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11415
RE: Laptop or Desktop - with optical out

SteveR750 wrote:

Have you got a shortlist (apart from the Sneaky obviously)

Naim and Cyrus should be tried. Your other alternative is something like a SBT with a DAC (QUTE?)

SteveR750 wrote:

How do I get my music files from the HDD to a NAS? Come to think of it, how do I get them from CD to NAS?

I got a RipNas to avoid the problem. Without something like this, you need a Laptop to rip your CDs to a NAS.....and you should be able copy your stuff from the HDD onto the NAS (which is only storage that goes on a network).

Others who know what they are talking about, should be able to give more detail.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

SteveR750's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 3096
RE: Laptop or Desktop - with optical out

CnoEvil wrote:

SteveR750 wrote:

Have you got a shortlist (apart from the Sneaky obviously)

Naim and Cyrus should be tried. Your other alternative is something like a SBT with a DAC (QUTE?)

SteveR750 wrote:

How do I get my music files from the HDD to a NAS? Come to think of it, how do I get them from CD to NAS?

I got a RipNas to avoid the problem. Without something like this, you need a Laptop to rip your CDs to a NAS.....and you should be able copy your stuff from the HDD onto the NAS (which is only storage that goes on a network).

Others who know what they are talking about, should be able to give more detail.

 

OK. BTW I didn't keep the Qute, and I'm underwhelmed by the M-DAC, hence the DM+ is back in service.

So, if I get this correctly, I probably need a PC in order to set up / operate / maintain a NAS + Streamer. In which case, I might as well save some money and not buy the streamer, since a PC does the job just as well.

__________________

JRiver MC17 -> Cambridge Audio DACmagic+ -> Roksan Caspian M2 -> ProAc D18 

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11415
RE: Laptop or Desktop - with optical out

SteveR750 wrote:

OK. BTW I didn't keep the Qute, and I'm underwhelmed by the M-DAC, hence the DM+ is back in service.

So, if I get this correctly, I probably need a PC in order to set up / operate / maintain a NAS + Streamer. In which case, I might as well save some money and not buy the streamer, since a PC does the job just as well.

The way I see it, is most people have a PC anyway, and don't want to tie it up with this.....you only use it to rip the occasional CD, and after that the system can run using any UPnP device (I think)....the Linn certainly can.

Just get one out, and either it will be for you, or it won't.....once you've experienced how handy it is, I'd be surprised if you aren't converted. I'm not aware of anyone going away from a streamer and back to a laptop.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide