Have your say & ask the experts!

Wimbledon 2013

490 replies [Last post]

Thought I'd start a thread devoted to the Championships 2013, as a place for predictions, analysis, and general Wimbledon chit-chat. It's my favourite sporting event of the year, so I'm ready to become a hermit for a fortnight. In true sports-fan style, I've already got the snacks in. 

Given the men's seedings this year, with three of the true top four on one side of the draw, it's hard to look past Novak. In the women's tournament, I think the only player that can beat Serena is Serena herself, if she loses composure.

I'd love to see Andy or Roger triumph. I went off Rafa after his appearances in online gambling commercials.

That'll do for now. Hopefully more to follow...

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

BenLaw's picture
RE: Wimbledon 2013

Darnit, I've been meaning to start this thread for weeks! Will post more at a reasonable hour but agree with you. Djoko's draw makes him a massive favourite. Need to see how Murray develops in the first week, but based on queens' form I could see him losing in the semis and dropping a few sets against earlier oppos, including Becker. Serena streets ahead of rivals, but a lot on her plate with her silly recent interview. 

Am looking forward to seeing Kyle Edmund. 

HiFi   /   A/V   /   Bedroom

BenLaw wrote:

Me too. If he develops into a semi-decent player in the next few years, we might have a Davis Cup team worth supporting. Edmund's about as British as Rusedski, but the kid shows promise. 

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

John Duncan's picture

Djokovic to lose 3-1 to Murray in the final. You heard it here first.

Cambridge Audio StreamMagic 6  |  751BD  |  651A  |  Diamond 9.1 | Minx Xi | Sonos Play:3

Moderator. mail: john.duncan.whf at the mail of g dot com

John Duncan wrote:
Djokovic to lose 3-1 to Murray in the final. You heard it here first.

Shock

I was thinking the reverse, unless someone does a Lukas Rosol on Novak. 

gel
gel's picture

My money is on Murray too, even though his draw is brick hard!   banging head against wall

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

BenLaw wrote:

Blink and you'll miss it.

BenLaw's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

Blink and you'll miss it.

I'm not going to get home in time for it. Nor does it look like there'll be much I want to 'catch up' on in that match. Still, an exciting prospect at a very early stage of his career at the highest level. 

drummerman's picture

Why do women tennis players have to make so much noise???????

regards

Pretty ... and pretty proud of it

drummerman wrote:

Why do women tennis players have to make so much noise???????

regards

Not all of them, though a Sharapova - Williams final would be yet another grunt-fest.

BenLaw's picture

Mladenovic is so far operating in 'silent running' mode and is giving sharapova a very tough match. 

BenLaw wrote:

I'm not going to get home in time for it. Nor does it look like there'll be much I want to 'catch up' on in that match. Still, an exciting prospect at a very early stage of his career at the highest level. 

I'm sure he'll benefit from the experience, but I'm not sure he's a future major contender. Consider the hype over Robson a few years back; and I doubt she'll ever break the top 20, much as I'd like to be proved wrong. (For the record, breaking the top 20 in any sport is still a remarkable achievement.)

The Federer match is worth a watch. There were some grin-inducing improvised volleys.

BenLaw wrote:

Mladenovic is so far operating in 'silent running' mode and is giving sharapova a very tough match. 

Azarenka had a nasty fall, but is still hobbling on (I think). It could be a day for shock exits in the women's draw. 

BenLaw's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

I'm sure he'll benefit from the experience, but I'm not sure he's a future major contender. Consider the hype over Robson a few years back; and I doubt she'll ever break the top 20, much as I'd like to be proved wrong. (For the record, breaking the top 20 in any sport is still a remarkable achievement.)

The Federer match is worth a watch. There were some grin-inducing improvised volleys.

I haven't seen enough (any) of Edmund to know. I was impressed to see him get his first win at such a young age and a lot of people seem to think he has the right attitude and mentality. We'll see. 

Robson still has a lot of potential but many areas to work on. Movement most of all but also consistent use of big weapons, second serve and, perhaps hardest of all, mentality. I'll be interested to see how she gets on with McClaghan. 

Not sure I'll get to watch any of fed - Nadal just starting, Murray later and have baby and work to fit in as well. 

BenLaw's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

Azarenka had a nasty fall, but is still hobbling on (I think). It could be a day for shock exits in the women's draw. 

MS is holding her own but certainly not dominating. If it was windier I'd fancy her ball toss to go wrong but I'd say she'll go through in the end. Errani already out. 

BenLaw's picture

Azarenka wins 6-1 6-2.