Have your say & ask the experts!

What annoys you?

277 replies [Last post]
The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 12588
RE: What annoys you?

strapped for cash wrote:
I'll plead ignorance on the basis that there's at least some distinction between "yoof speak" and grammatically correct hackneyed phrasing.

I'll give you that much. Noticed this weekend that the French have created their own word for "hashtag", so that impressionable young French people don't have to use a hideous english word!

Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 4283
RE: What annoys you?

That's very generous. If my writing passes the grammar test, there's hope I can eradicate further offensive tropes. 

__________________

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

6th.replicant's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Oct 2007
Posts: 3005
RE: What annoys you?

Birkenstocks

People who talk during gigs

Ryanair and its ilk

Foxtons

Cameron, Osborne and co

The London Eye

Surrey

Islington

Morningside

Alexander McCall Smith

Piers Morgan

Vanessa Feltz

Giles Coren

Kyle / Wright

Petroc Trelawny

The X-Factor / that Cowell creature

Dixons, Comet, PC World and Currys (one down, three to...)

Nylon (especially shirts, in orange or lilac)

Windows (OS)

Tesco

B&Q

Lemon curd

The Scotch egg

The Creme Egg

KFC

British drivers on motorways

Faux carbonfibre

The five pence coin

Zips

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Nov 2010
Posts: 2842
RE: What annoys you?

6th.replicant wrote:

The Scotch egg

Previously I would have agreed, but then I had proper deli scotch eggs.  Yum.  There is a pub on Gloucester road in Bristol named something daft that sounds like Dr Who's home planet that sells incredible scotch eggs.

6th.replicant wrote:

The Creme Egg

Please see JJ/Starwars thread  :)

__________________

Paul's system thread

(where the photos live) Paul's Flickr page

chebby's picture
Online
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Posts: 15334
RE: What annoys you?

.

__________________

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15528
RE: What annoys you?

Purchased some food for dinner and found all the tins of chopped tomatoes with herbs were all buckled. The other brands of Toms were fine, just these supermarket herbed ones. Anyway found a single tin at the back which was fine.

Reported this to the manager, and he said, with a smirk on his face, "does having a buckled tin change the flavour?" I replied "no, unless the tin is punctured. Are you prepared to give me discount if I buy a bent tin?" At this point my back was really up and barked: "If you was to buy a car and you found it had a dent in the door, would you buy it?"

Hate cockey, unhelpful little oiks!

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11415
RE: What annoys you?

6th.replicant wrote:

Birkenstocks

People who talk during gigs

Ryanair and its ilk

Foxtons

Cameron, Osborne and co

The London Eye

Surrey

Islington

Morningside

Alexander McCall Smith

Piers Morgan

Vanessa Feltz

Giles Coren

Kyle / Wright

Petroc Trelawny

The X-Factor / that Cowell creature

Dixons, Comet, PC World and Currys (one down, three to...)

Nylon (especially shirts, in orange or lilac)

Windows (OS)

Tesco

B&Q

Lemon curd

The Scotch egg

The Creme Egg

KFC

British drivers on motorways

Faux carbonfibre

The five pence coin

Zips

Good list, Sir.....and I suspect that's just scratching the surface.

My list gets longer, the older I get......I'm turning into Victor Meldrew, and when I get started, I hear can my parents speaking!

The only hope is to laugh at one's own grumpiness. Talking of things that make you grumpy, when friends of mine were going on holiday with their baby, and taking the bus to the airport........on arrival, when they took their pushchair out of the luggage compartment, somebody had stolen all the wheels off it!!  It didn't help that everyone they complained to, cracked up laughing.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15528
RE: What annoys you?

This is really the internet equivalent to 'Grumpy Old Men'.

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11415
RE: What annoys you?

plastic penguin wrote:

This is really the internet equivalent to 'Grumpy Old Men'.

Correct.

Our wives won't listen, so it's good to have somewhere to vent.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

Diamond Joe's picture
Offline
Joined: 1 Mar 2008
Posts: 1272
RE: What annoys you?

CnoEvil wrote:
My list gets longer, the older I get

Oh good, it's not just me then!

__________________

He's not a diamond geezer, or called Joe!

BenLaw's picture
Online
Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5901
RE: What annoys you?

plastic penguin wrote:

Purchased some food for dinner and found all the tins of chopped tomatoes with herbs were all buckled. The other brands of Toms were fine, just these supermarket herbed ones. Anyway found a single tin at the back which was fine.

Reported this to the manager, and he said, with a smirk on his face, "does having a buckled tin change the flavour?" I replied "no, unless the tin is punctured. Are you prepared to give me discount if I buy a bent tin?" At this point my back was really up and barked: "If you was to buy a car and you found it had a dent in the door, would you buy it?"

Hate cockey, unhelpful little oiks!

 

Ok, I'll do it. Didn't he have a point?

__________________

HiFi   /   A/V   /   Bedroom

gel
gel's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 11468
RE: What annoys you?

People who say they will call but never do!

__________________

 

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11415
RE: What annoys you?

Diamond Joe wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:
My list gets longer, the older I get

Oh good, it's not just me then!

Definitely not!

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15528
RE: What annoys you?

OMG, hate advertisments for fast food chains that try to convince you their food is the height of culinary experience, with smiley, happy families.

No, it is NOT! it is greasy, mass produced sh**e, and If you visit them more than twice a year your arteries will clog and you will DIE!!

 

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

chebby's picture
Online
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Posts: 15334
RE: What annoys you?

plastic penguin wrote:
OMG, hate advertisments for fast food chains that try to convince you their food is the height of culinary experience...

To be fair they make it look like c##p in the ads too.

The worst looking 'ad food' has to be Iceland's  though. They make absolutely no attempt to make their food look appetising. Fair play to them for the refreshing honesty.

 

__________________

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390