Have your say & ask the experts!

School is becoming ridiculous

60 replies [Last post]
plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15536

My 10-year old came home with science homework and she's drawn a picture of a bean and explained the parts and processes that make a bean grow. One word which confused even the teacher: Cotyledon.

I had to look it up in the dictionary, but when the teacher can't even pronounce the word it doesn't set a good example of tutor competence.

Really do feel they are trying to push these youngsters too hard. This time next year she'll be in high school, and personally think it's more appropriate.

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Joined: 3 Mar 2010
Posts: 3118
RE: School is becoming ridiculous

My kids were in Year 6 last year and for some obscure reason with the school's reputation and budget resting on the outcome of the dreaded end-of-year SATs tests, they decided it was a good idea that all Year 6's should have weekly Cantonese lessons. We don't even have a large Chinese community. Even the local Chinese takeaway is run by a bloke called Dave. The time the school wasted in Year 6 teaching my lads the rudiments of a language they'll probably never need I'm sure could have been better expended.

__________________

Main system: Mac Mini 2011 • HRT II+ DAC • Lacie 3TB Cloudbox NAS • Marantz PM66 KI • EB Acoustics EB2

In storage: Thorens TD160 (no cart) • Cyrus 2 + PSX • Cyrus tuner • Technics SL-P777 • Marantz CD63KIS • Nakamichi DR-1

hammill's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Posts: 2385
RE: School is becoming ridiculous

MajorFubar wrote:

My kids were in Year 6 last year and for some obscure reason with the school's reputation and budget resting on the outcome of the dreaded end-of-year SATs tests, they decided it was a good idea that all Year 6's should have weekly Cantonese lessons. We don't even have a large Chinese community. Even the local Chinese takeaway is run by a bloke called Dave. The time the school wasted in Year 6 teaching my lads the rudiments of a language they'll probably never need I'm sure could have been better expended.

What a depressing point of view. My son was taught Japanese for a week (in year 4 I recall). He found it very interesting, partcularly as it was linked to lessons about Japanese culture. There is considerable evidence that learning another language generally benefits children's performance. The idea you should only learn languages used in your local community is straight off the UKIP song sheet and is the sort of blinkered attitude that has led to a reduction in the number of children learning a foreign language - an area in which we are already the worst amongst first world countries with the possible exception of the USA. Both business and the government are very concerned about this as it places the UK at a huge disadvantage. The Chinese market is groing tremendously and many forward looking schools are teaching Chinese (normally Mandarin/Simplified Chinese I admit) . You should be pleased your child had such an opportunity.

chebby's picture
Offline
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Posts: 15340
RE: School is becoming ridiculous

plastic penguin wrote:

My 10-year old came home with science homework and she's drawn a picture of a bean and explained the parts and processes that make a bean grow. One word which confused even the teacher: Cotyledon.

I had to look it up in the dictionary, but when the teacher can't even pronounce the word it doesn't set a good example of tutor competence.

Really do feel they are trying to push these youngsters too hard. This time next year she'll be in high school, and personally think it's more appropriate.

So you all had to look something up and learn something new? (Pupil, teacher and parent.)

Not a bad day at school then. Everyone got stretched a bit.

I remember sitting there on night shift re-learning how to solve quadratic equations when my eldest daughter needed help with them during her GCSE maths years. (Plenty of other stuff I had forgotten over the years since i'd done it at school.)

__________________

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Joined: 3 Mar 2010
Posts: 3118
RE: School is becoming ridiculous

hammill wrote:

What a depressing point of view. My son was taught Japanese for a week (in year 4 I recall). He found it very interesting, partcularly as it was linked to lessons about Japanese culture. There is considerable evidence that learning another language generally benefits children's performance. The idea you should only learn languages used in your local community is straight off the UKIP song sheet and is the sort of blinkered attitude that has led to a reduction in the number of children learning a foreign language - an area in which we are already the worst amongst first world countries with the possible exception of the USA. Both business and the government are very concerned about this as it places the UK at a huge disadvantage. The Chinese market is groing tremendously and many forward looking schools are teaching Chinese (normally Mandarin/Simplified Chinese I admit) . You should be pleased your child had such an opportunity.

You misunderstood me.

Kids are under an enormous amount of pressure to get good grades in their SATs tests. In fact in the case of the school my kids have just left, its reputation and funding depends on the results. My point was, I fail to see how spending an hour a week particularly in year six (I didn't say "not ever") teching kids something obscure that they're not going to be tested on, and don't need to know at that point in time, is time well spent.

But generally your point stands valid.

 

__________________

Main system: Mac Mini 2011 • HRT II+ DAC • Lacie 3TB Cloudbox NAS • Marantz PM66 KI • EB Acoustics EB2

In storage: Thorens TD160 (no cart) • Cyrus 2 + PSX • Cyrus tuner • Technics SL-P777 • Marantz CD63KIS • Nakamichi DR-1

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11418
RE: School is becoming ridiculous

I remember doing Common Entrance (1973) and was thrown into a tail spin, when asked to give "Empirical Evidence".......a tad unfair for a 13 year old, I thought.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Jan 2008
Posts: 22558
RE: School is becoming ridiculous

CnoEvil wrote:

I remember doing Common Entrance (1973) and was thrown into a tail spin, when asked to give "Empirical Evidence".......a tad unfair for a 13 year old, I thought.

Ya, I didn't find out what empiricism was until fourth year at Uni. I don't find out what ABX was till much later...

__________________

Cambridge Audio StreamMagic 6  |  751BD  |  651A  |  Diamond 9.1 | Minx Xi | Sonos Play:3

Moderator. mail: john.duncan.whf at the mail of g dot com

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Jan 2008
Posts: 22558
RE: School is becoming ridiculous

CnoEvil wrote:

I remember doing Common Entrance (1973) and was thrown into a tail spin, when asked to give "Empirical Evidence".......a tad unfair for a 13 year old, I thought.

Ya, I didn't find out what empiricism was until fourth year at Uni. I don't find out what ABX was till much later...

__________________

Cambridge Audio StreamMagic 6  |  751BD  |  651A  |  Diamond 9.1 | Minx Xi | Sonos Play:3

Moderator. mail: john.duncan.whf at the mail of g dot com

RodhasGibson's picture
Offline
Joined: 10 Oct 2008
Posts: 960
RE: School is becoming ridiculous

John Duncan wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

I remember doing Common Entrance (1973) and was thrown into a tail spin, when asked to give "Empirical Evidence".......a tad unfair for a 13 year old, I thought.

Ya, I didn't find out what empiricism was until fourth year at Uni. I don't find out what ABX was till much later...

JD I heard you the first time honest  Wink

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Jan 2008
Posts: 22558
RE: School is becoming ridiculous

But can you tell the difference?

__________________

Cambridge Audio StreamMagic 6  |  751BD  |  651A  |  Diamond 9.1 | Minx Xi | Sonos Play:3

Moderator. mail: john.duncan.whf at the mail of g dot com

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5906
RE: School is becoming ridiculous

A is B and B is A, especially when it comes to airlines.

__________________

HiFi   /   A/V   /   Bedroom

bigboss's picture
Online
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11798
RE: School is becoming ridiculous

BenLaw wrote:

A is B and B is A, especially when it comes to airlines.

What's X then?

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

AnotherJoe's picture
Offline
Joined: 10 Jun 2011
Posts: 783
RE: School is becoming ridiculous

I'd be pleased if my kids were learning Cantonese. Probably be of more use than the Latin I had to learn at school!

__________________

Server Synology 12Bay DS2413+, Synology 8Bay DS1812+, Sky+HD 

Lounge Samsung UE55D9000, Denon DBT-3313, Onkyo TX-NR5009, Tannoy Arena Highline 500 LCR, ACRyan playon!HD mini2 

Reception Samsung UE46C8000, Panasonic BDP310, Sony STR-DA5400ES, KEF2005.3, ACRyan playon!HD mini2 

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5906
RE: School is becoming ridiculous

bigboss wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

A is B and B is A, especially when it comes to airlines.

What's X then?

 

X marks the spot where the planes land. 

__________________

HiFi   /   A/V   /   Bedroom

bigboss's picture
Online
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11798
RE: School is becoming ridiculous

BenLaw wrote:

bigboss wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

A is B and B is A, especially when it comes to airlines.

What's X then?

 

X marks the spot where the planes land. 

excellent!

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

RodhasGibson's picture
Offline
Joined: 10 Oct 2008
Posts: 960
RE: School is becoming ridiculous

John Duncan wrote:
But can you tell the difference?
Yep,even when I ate the Toasted Sardine Sarnie with eyes closed,I knew it was f---ing Margarine not Butter. Smile