Have your say & ask the experts!

London 2012 Olympics ceremony.. How would you rate?

45 replies [Last post]
iceman16's picture

How would you compare London Olympic ceremony from the previous?

Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP(spider clamp) / Musical Fidelity AMS 35i / Focal Electra 1028be / MIT AVt MA speaker cable-Matrix 12 xlr / Chord powerchord / GIK acoustics

iceman16's picture
RE: London 2012 Olympics ceremony.. How would you rate?

iceman16 wrote:
How would you compare London Olympic ceremony from the previous?

Sorry 2x posts

Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP(spider clamp) / Musical Fidelity AMS 35i / Focal Electra 1028be / MIT AVt MA speaker cable-Matrix 12 xlr / Chord powerchord / GIK acoustics

Alantiggger's picture

Looks like three...lol

Lounge :  Samsung PS51E6500, Sony BDP S790, Virgin media XL with HD Sports Channels (BT &Sky),  Yamaha RX-V673.

Tannoy Arena 5.1 with stands.(http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/tannoy-arena-96472/review)

Bedroom: Panasonic PX70 TV and a Sony BDP-370 Blu ray Player & Kitsound Boomdock.  (quite superb for sound)

So far  :)

DistortedVision's picture

I'm probably going to be the only person who says this but I thought it was complete pants!

I found it mostly dull, boring and a times inappropriate.  The only good bit was with James Bond and the Queen.

Not sure why Danny Boyle was chosen in the first place anyway.

Alec's picture

DistortedVision wrote:

I'm probably going to be the only person who says this but I thought it was complete pants!

I found it mostly dull, boring and a times inappropriate.  The only good bit was with James Bond and the Queen.

Not sure why Danny Boyle was chosen in the first place anyway.

This is what I said elsewhere:

If I ever see Sir Paul again it'll be too soon.

Mixed bag, these things always are. And our outfits were awful!

The Bond bit was OK though, as was Pretty Vacant.

Formerly known as al7478...

HC: Panasonic PXP 42 V20; Panasonic DMP BD35; Humax Foxsat-HDR

Music: Optical out from Asus P7H55-M Motherboard into AVI ADM 9.1 speakers.

"Music will provide the light you cannot resist"

Diamond Joe's picture

I thought it was a fantastic opening ceremony, quite a spectacular way to kick the Olympics off. I was particularly amused by Rowan Atkinson and the parachute jump by Her Majesty and James Bond - what an entrance!!

How it compares to others... well, as I've got the memory span of a small goldfish I couldn't possibly comment shifty

He's not a diamond geezer, or called Joe!

GSB
GSB's picture

Watched the whole thing in 3D active glasses....was at times spectacular,yes could be abit boring but the coming of the industrial revelotion was a masterpiece,and the Great Ormand Street bit was imo brilliant.

i can't remember last games,only the drums,but last night was in main great and seeing as they played Eclipse by the Floyd on lighting the torch(es) i can only say beauty, eh Mr Boyle,you did us proud......'ish.

PanasonicTX-P46GT30B..Yamaha RX-A1010...Music Fidelity M3i...OPPO105EU...KEFR100/R200C/3001SE/HTB2SE...SkyHD2TB...QED Copper Speaker Cable /HDMI/Analogue...PS3...IPAD2

mykspence's picture

I thought that the bit before the unending parade of athletes was good, the last bit with the lighting of the flame was also good.

Getting bored of the moaners now, go and do/watch something else if you don't like it. Listen to your hi fi? But give over with the olympic bashing ffs.

ZP90 > SIA2-150 > SCM40

roger06's picture

Well I've been cynical about the Olympics for the last 7 years. I had very low expectations last night but actually thought it was superb. I thought an opening ceromony that included the Sex Pistols was class...

Synology DS212J-> AppleTV->  rDAC->Naim Nait5i. Dynaudio Audience 52SE

Sony BDPS370 / YouView ->Yamaha RXV1065-> Pana TH42PX80B plasma.

The_Lhc's picture

mykspence wrote:

I thought that the bit before the unending parade of athletes was good,

It is a little difficult to avoid that bit though!
Quote:

Getting bored of the moaners now, go and do/watch something else if you don't like it. Listen to your hi fi? But give over with the olympic bashing ffs.

Completely agree, although I'd have used more swearing obviously...

chebby's picture

I wanted to see a 1000ft tall 'War Of The Worlds" Tripod (driven by the torch bearer) stride up the Thames and then vault across the top of the stadium - whilst under mock attack from RAF Typhoons - and light the cauldron with a death ray.

Celebrating the British contribution to Science Fiction.

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

mykspence's picture

The_Lhc wrote:

Completely agree, although I'd have used more swearing obviously...

If I said what I thought it'd gone somethng like, edited off you edited moaning edited and listen to your edited hi fi. Smile

ZP90 > SIA2-150 > SCM40

scene's picture

Well, I turned on the telly at 8.59pm, just to see what to have a quick look (and setit to record on the FreeSat HD box for the kids to watch) and watched the whole thing. I was glad about the "slightly boring" (yet unavoidable) parade of athletes, as otherwise Mrs. scene & I wouldn't have got any supper, as we watched the whole thing - despite being knackered at the end!

I thought it was great, with some truly memorable bits and did what it was supposed to do - celebrated Britain, welcomed the World to London and put young people and children at the heart of the celebration. OK, there was the odd odd moment and a little cheese, but thar was always going tobe the case in a four hour ceremony. I was hoping, when the Arctic Monkeys did the Beatles that we wouldn't get Sir Paul, but you can't have everything...

Pink Floyd for the torch ceremony will always get my vote. I thing the forging of the Olympic Rings was truly magnificent, the cauldron lighting was moving and right on target (and the "cauldron" itself a triumph) and some light humour, even from the Queen was great. I loved it (as you can probably tell). Yep, some tripods and death-rays would have been great!

Best ceremony I've seen to date and the kids have been loving watching the recording today.

Hi Fi: Arcam A85, DV88 (CD only), Project Debut II, Sonos ZP90, AE Compact-1.  AV: Arcam AVR250, DV79, Sony BDP-S760, Monitor Audio Silver 8i, RS-LCR, RXFX, Sonos ZP90, Pioneer KRP500A.  2nd AV: Pioneer SX-SWR2, Dell Zino HD, KEF KHT2005.2 eggs, Sonos ZP90.  Cables: That Cable HDMI, Chord Crimsons, CAT6 backbone  Sonos S5s in the bedrooms

Rob998's picture

I thought it was brilliant (apart from them rolling out Macca obviously, pub singer tres-ordinaire) I wasn't really expecting to enjoy it but watched the whole thing, enthralled & occasionally astounded. Boyle pulled it off superbly IMO.

Systemdek IIXE900/Roksan Tabriz ZI/AT120E, Marantz CD6004, Sony TCK-661S, Tascam 34B, Arcam 8R/8P, Triangle Titus TZX.

John Duncan's picture

+100 for the forging of the rings and the cauldron (design and execution), which were both heart stopping.

-1 for the NHS segment - if you're going to make political statements, at least try and be a bit subversive about it so that I come away thinking 'ooo did he just make a sneaky political statement, the sly b-gger' and give him a little private round of applause for doing so, rather than having a big neon sign saying 'NHS'...

-1 for the music segment which was a bit of a hash.

-100 for Paul McCartney

Cambridge Audio StreamMagic 6  |  751BD  |  651A  |  Diamond 9.1 | Minx Xi | Sonos Play:3

Moderator. mail: john.duncan.whf at the mail of g dot com

plastic penguin's picture

Was it just me or did Beckham look more like James Bond in the speed boat than Daniel Craig?

Hats off to the Queen for allowing someone to parady her. I thought the queen parachuting in her pink frock was genius. Just wished she would smile. She's had the year of her life but looked so glum.

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

Formerly known as plastic penguin