Have your say & ask the experts!

Hey The_Lhc

100 replies [Last post]
The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 12628
RE: Hey The_Lhc

Electro wrote:

I think the LHC might really be an ESTJ  .  No offence to him or anyone else . Wink

http://www.personalitypage.com/html/ESTJ.html

Hmm, it's not far off but I NEVER mow the lawn!

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15601
RE: Hey The_Lhc

 

Hmm, it's not far off but I NEVER mow the lawn!

[/quote]

Nor do I. We don't have one.

I'm ESFJ AFAIK BTW.

TTNT Smile

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 12628
RE: Hey The_Lhc

Electro wrote:
For those that are interested why not see what you are Smile

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Well that thinks I'm an INTJ, although I've got to be honest there were a number of questions there that didn't have a YES/NO answer to me.

chebby's picture
Offline
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Posts: 15397
RE: Hey The_Lhc

The_Lhc wrote:

Electro wrote:
For those that are interested why not see what you are Smile

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Well that thinks I'm an INTJ, although I've got to be honest there were a number of questions there that didn't have a YES/NO answer to me.

INTJ here too, but the questions are stupidly transparent and could easily be manipulated to make it show whatever you wanted it to show about yourself if you had to answer them for a prospective employer.

You'd need to be a cretin (or an HR manager) to believe the results of any such test.  Manipulating the answers to achieve a specific end result would be simple for a 10 year-old.

 

 

 

 

__________________

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

Electro's picture
Offline
Joined: 30 Mar 2011
Posts: 995
RE: Hey The_Lhc

The_Lhc wrote:

Electro wrote:
For those that are interested why not see what you are Smile

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Well that thinks I'm an INTJ, although I've got to be honest there were a number of questions there that didn't have a YES/NO answer to me.

For the system to work accurately it is necessary to be 100% honest with yourself and really think about how you feel before answering ,  some people find this quite difficult and I agree some of the questions are hard to answer with a simple yes or no answer but if you have the time or the inclination to keep trying then the results can be extremely accurate .

Oh and I am an INFP which describes my personality perfectly shhh   shifty

__________________

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP Cd player , EC 4.8 preamp , AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC PB1i speakers .

Linn LP12 Lingo , Ittok lv3 , Lyra Lydian , EAR834P .

"Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler."     Albert Einstein .

Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 4314
RE: Hey The_Lhc

The_Lhc wrote:

strapped for cash wrote:
You once sought to ridicule me by implying that I'm a hack that falls back on cliche. As a writer and journal editor, I wasn't terribly impressed, particularly as the attack was entirely unsolicited.

Did I? When was that? I didn't know you were a writer at all. I'm afraid I can't remember the episode in question, you wouldn't have a link by any chance? I'd like to see if I was simply critiquing the article in question or whether I was actually trying to ridicule you as you suggest. If it's the latter then I'll apologise, if it's simply a critique I probably won't, if I think it was justified criticism.

I'll try to track down the thread, but it was a while back and I honestly can't recall the topic. Your commentary on my writing lived longer in the memory.

__________________

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 12628
RE: Hey The_Lhc

Electro wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

Electro wrote:
For those that are interested why not see what you are Smile

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Well that thinks I'm an INTJ, although I've got to be honest there were a number of questions there that didn't have a YES/NO answer to me.

For the system to work accurately it is necessary to be 100% honest with yourself and really think about how you feel before answering

I didn't have an issue with being honest but I found several of the questions were very situation dependant, a third option would have been useful.

Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 4314
RE: Hey The_Lhc

Aren't these personality profiles a bit like horoscopes? I mean, the relatively abstract language and vague points of reference mean we can easily regard ourselves as several of these acronyms.

A taxonomy of personality types seems no more effective than any other (invariably flawed) classificatory system. Inevitably there are inaccuracies and overlaps among categories.

__________________

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

Electro's picture
Offline
Joined: 30 Mar 2011
Posts: 995
RE: Hey The_Lhc RE: Hey The_Lhc

The_Lhc wrote:

Electro wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

Electro wrote:
For those that are interested why not see what you are Smile

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Well that thinks I'm an INTJ, although I've got to be honest there were a number of questions there that didn't have a YES/NO answer to me.

For the system to work accurately it is necessary to be 100% honest with yourself and really think about how you feel before answering

I didn't have an issue with being honest but I found several of the questions were very situation dependant, a third option would have been useful.

Yes I agree a third option would make it far easier with some questions , but I would imagine that the questions were delibrately set that way to provoke a certain response .

__________________

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP Cd player , EC 4.8 preamp , AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC PB1i speakers .

Linn LP12 Lingo , Ittok lv3 , Lyra Lydian , EAR834P .

"Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler."     Albert Einstein .

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 12628
RE: Hey The_Lhc RE: Hey The_Lhc

Electro wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

Electro wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

Electro wrote:
For those that are interested why not see what you are Smile

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Well that thinks I'm an INTJ, although I've got to be honest there were a number of questions there that didn't have a YES/NO answer to me.

For the system to work accurately it is necessary to be 100% honest with yourself and really think about how you feel before answering

I didn't have an issue with being honest but I found several of the questions were very situation dependant, a third option would have been useful.

Yes I agree a third option would make it far easier with some questions , but I would imagine that the questions were delibrately set that way to provoke a certain response .

Yes, understood, unfortunately a lot of the time the response was "I dunno?"!  Smile

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 12628
RE: Hey The_Lhc

strapped for cash wrote:
Aren't these personality profiles a bit like horoscopes? I mean, the relatively abstract language and vague points of reference mean we can easily regard ourselves as several of these acronyms.

A taxonomy of personality types seems no more effective than any other (invariably flawed) classificatory system. Inevitably there are inaccuracies and overlaps among categories.

There certainly appear to be overlaps between a number of the types and it's unlikely anyone would fit perfectly into any one class but there does at least appear to be some science behind this (or thought, at least), unlike horoscopes which are just cobblers of course.

Electro's picture
Offline
Joined: 30 Mar 2011
Posts: 995
RE: Hey The_Lhc RE: Hey The_Lhc

strapped for cash wrote:

Aren't these personality profiles a bit like horoscopes? I mean, the relatively abstract language and vague points of reference mean we can easily regard ourselves as several of these acronyms.

A taxonomy of personality types seems no more effective than any other (invariably flawed) classificatory system. Inevitably there are inaccuracies and overlaps among categories.

 Yes I suppose there is some similarity to horoscopes  excellent!

There can be overlaps in personality type because it is not an exact science .

The test is a fairly simple one but there are other more sophisticated tests available that are often used by different organisations to determine someone's suitability for a certain task .

__________________

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP Cd player , EC 4.8 preamp , AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC PB1i speakers .

Linn LP12 Lingo , Ittok lv3 , Lyra Lydian , EAR834P .

"Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler."     Albert Einstein .

Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 4314
RE: Hey The_Lhc RE: Hey The_Lhc

In reference to both above posts, I'm not sure there's any science involved.

The questions are highly subjectively designed and the profiles based on crude measurements using simple "yes" or "no" answers.

I'm not convinced a third option (presumably "unsure," or something similar) would allow for more insightful results.

I was forced into doing a similar test on a training course years back. More recently, I attended another course during a temporary work placement and completed the exact same test. I got different results each time and neither profile said much about my personality that I recognised as accurate. I guess I could have undergone a personality transformation in the intervening years. I might also be deluded about the kind of person I am.

__________________

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

Electro's picture
Offline
Joined: 30 Mar 2011
Posts: 995
RE: Hey The_Lhc RE: Hey The_Lhc

strapped for cash wrote:

In reference to both above posts, I'm not sure there's any science involved.

The questions are highly subjectively designed and the profiles based on crude measurements using simple "yes" or "no" answers.

I'm not convinced a third option (presumably "unsure," or something similar) would allow for more insightful results.

I was forced into doing a similar test on a training course years back. More recently, I attended another course during a temporary work placement and completed the exact same test. I got different results each time and neither profile said much about my personality that I recognised as accurate. I guess I could have undergone a personality transformation in the intervening years. I might also be deluded about the kind of person I am.

My wife has found the same, she gets a different result almost every time  excellent!   , I think with some personality types the result is quite mood dependant .

__________________

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP Cd player , EC 4.8 preamp , AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC PB1i speakers .

Linn LP12 Lingo , Ittok lv3 , Lyra Lydian , EAR834P .

"Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler."     Albert Einstein .

woodster's picture
Offline
Joined: 24 Jun 2007
Posts: 322
RE: Hey The_Lhc

chebby wrote:

 

You'd need to be a cretin (or an HR manager) to believe the results of any such test.  Manipulating the answers to achieve a specific end result would be simple for a 10 year-old.

 

 

 

 

For heavens sake, the point here is to be honest with yourself, rather than trying to determine what you think fits in or other people want you to be.......BAA!BAA!, Here sheepy sheep sheep!

__________________

System1-Roksan Kandy L3 amp, Audiolab 8200 CD, B&W CM8's, Sonos zp90, Appletv  for spotify via macbook pro. Russ Andrews Classic PowerKord on Roksan & Audiolab.

System2-Marantz cd603, airplay via mac, Sonos zp90, Q Acoustics 2010

Home cinema-Pioneer vsx2020, virgin tivo, Boxee, pioneer bluray, humax hdsat pvr, kef3005 speakers, wdtv live, lg590 50 TV

Games room- pana 42" tv, ps3, sony reciever, humax freeview box, ma speakers, Sonos zp90

Master bedroom- Sonos zp120, Cyrus CD8 SE, Linn Kelidh speakers, Pioneer 26" tv, Panasonic bluray, virgin tv box. All rooms fed 30 mb broadband via homeplugs