heat from an open fireplace
Any fireplace experts here?
We have an open fire place which is lovely, we burn logs on it but it hardly gives any heat at all. Yes I now open fireplaces are not that efficient but I can comfortably put my hand in it above burning logs. The draw on the chimney is excellent and it's swept once a year. The logs are well seasoned and burned well.
So why almost no heat? It's a 50's house and the fireplace used to heat the water with a back boiler. So could it be the hearth is simply designed to send heat backwards instead of into the room?
Any advice appreciated...