Have your say & ask the experts!

Great start to 2013...not!

9 replies [Last post]
MajorFubar's picture

Wifey up in Scotland atm visiting her relatives, phones me half an hour ago to say she's reversed out of a parking-space in the shopping centre and hit another car, scratching its bumper.  Did you leave a note, says I.  Yes, says she, but she's left our home number in England and not the number of her mum's where she's staying for the next three days. Why she's done that, God alone knows, not only will they not want to speak to me, I can't even drive.  What's more she reckons in the heat of the moment she accidentally transposed two of the digits in our phone number.  So if and when they do ring me, they're going to be even more annoyed than they were to start with.

Just felt I had to share all that with someone  banging head against wall

Happy 2013.

Main system: Mac Mini 2011 • HRT II+ DAC • Lacie 3TB Cloudbox NAS • Marantz PM66 KI • EB Acoustics EB2

In storage: Thorens TD160 (no cart) • Cyrus 2 + PSX • Cyrus tuner • Technics SL-P777 • Marantz CD63KIS • Nakamichi DR-1

Big Aura's picture
RE: Great start to 2013...not!

MajorFubar wrote:

accidentally transposed one of the digits in our phone number

Do you mean she wrote the wrong number down?  If so, they're unlikely to enter into some Bletchly Park-esque cypher solving circle until they find you!

I have some home cinema and Sonos stuff.

MajorFubar's picture

lol no, she swapped two of the digits, I did correct what I wrote, but not fast enough for your reply Smile

My worst fear is they'll think she's done it deliberately and go straight to their insurance.  I'd rather shake hands on a cash deal, if all it needs is a chips-away style touch-in.

Main system: Mac Mini 2011 • HRT II+ DAC • Lacie 3TB Cloudbox NAS • Marantz PM66 KI • EB Acoustics EB2

In storage: Thorens TD160 (no cart) • Cyrus 2 + PSX • Cyrus tuner • Technics SL-P777 • Marantz CD63KIS • Nakamichi DR-1

professorhat's picture

Swapped as in wrote 01234 657890 instead of 01234 567890? If so, then I'd agree that it's unlikely they're going to ever get in touch with you. If I got a number unobtainable / wrong number, I wouldn't be re-arranging the numbers in the hope I might eventually get through to the right person...

BenLaw's picture

If she hasn't left adequate contact details she may have committed the offence of failing to stop (and provide details) after an accident and it may be sensible for her to go immediately to a police station and report the accident. 

HiFi   /   A/V   /   Bedroom

bigboss's picture

I would get really annoyed if someone scratched / dented my car & left a note with a wrong number. Angry

Did she take any photos or note down the registration number of the car?

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

eggontoast's picture

Well it could have been worse, she could have hit my car Laughing out loud

MajorFubar's picture

bigboss wrote:

I would get really annoyed if someone scratched / dented my car & left a note with a wrong number. Angry

Did she take any photos or note down the registration number of the car?

In the heat of the moment, sh_t happens, BigBoss.  She said she put the reg of our car on the note, but no, I don't think she took details of the car.

Over the years our cars have got smacked several times in car parks leaving scrapes and minor dings that I end up having to fix myself, usually they just drive off with no witnesses (as in 'none wlling to come forward') and no note.  One time in Morrisons, the guy wheeling the trollies back to the store took the reg-plate of the car which hit ours, we reported it to the police and when they came round they couldn't have been less interested. At least she tried to do what she thought was the right thing instead of just doing a runner.  But having tried to do the right thing, it'll probably come back to bite us.  It seems honest people are more likely to get shafted in this life.

bigboss's picture

Instead of reporting to the Police, I would've given the registration number to my insurance provider.

Anyway, I understand such things can happen in the heat of the moment. It is likely that if the car owner hasn't been able to contact you, he / she will pass the registration number to the insurance provider, who will then call you. You can negotiate with your insurance provider then & say that you're willing to settle this without them having to pay up, if the cost isn't much. The claim then gets recorded as notification only.

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

MajorFubar's picture

Yeah that would be good. Last time she hit something which claimed was 1996 (since then it's just been the odd gateposts and fences, until today).  We got shafted for absolutely years, then one day, and I can't remember how exactly, we found out that the sum total of the claim had been a measily £250, which I'd have happily dropped straight into his hand and called it experience.