Have your say & ask the experts!

Formula 1 - 2013 season

275 replies [Last post]
Clare Newsome's picture
RE: Formula 1 - 2013 season

Oooh, and now there are rumours that Ross Brawn will get the heave-ho from Mercedes, who'll draft in Paddy Lowe from McLaren. The plot thickens....

Group Marketing & PR Manager - Computers Unlimited;

Former Group Editor of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and Whathifi.com

Twitter: @ClareNewsome

Diamond Joe's picture

Clare Newsome wrote:

Oooh, and now there are rumours that Ross Brawn will get the heave-ho from Mercedes, who'll draft in Paddy Lowe from McLaren. The plot thickens....

If true, that's pretty shoddy treatment for a man who effectively saved that team.

He's not a diamond geezer, or called Joe!

6th.replicant's picture

Poor old Lewis; frustration with almost/nearly/non-achievers McLaren prompts him to jump ship to Merc, and new-broom Toto Wolff "has agreed a deal to bring in McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe" - umm, shurley not??  doh!

professorhat's picture

Quite surprised by that news I have to say - we'll see how Mercedes do next year, but if they're successful, I think a good chunk of that will be down to Ross.

Lost Angeles's picture

Interesting that Alonso thinks Hamilton will win a couple of races this season, does he know something we don't? seeing as nearly all of us think Lewis was barmy leaving MacLaren.

Orbe SE.

You can't exchange a six inch band for all the poisoned streams in Cumberland.

6th.replicant's picture

Lost Angeles wrote:

... seeing as nearly all of us think Lewis was barmy leaving MacLaren.

Beg to differ Smile

Aside from the fact that since 1998-99 (ie, Häkkinen's two titles) McLaren have been incapable of producing a car that's quick and reliable - apart from 2007-08, when they'd ripped-off Ferrari's designs - it seems that Hamilton's switch could be even more savvy - clickety   

FlyingScot's picture

The reason Hamilton went to Mercedes is their 2014 engine which is already being tested. Button will find that his team will have to pay for that unit so those £ will not be finding their way into his pay packet.

Mark my words !

Clare Newsome's picture

Plus at Mercedes he'll be in charge of his own image rights etc - meaning his management company (19; same as David Beckham, Andy Murray etc) can net him massive sponsorship deals. At McLaren, he was stuck with (endless) promotions for their sponsors only.

Nothing to do with racing, obviously, but if you're not in a championship-winning car (as he wasn't at McLaren either), you might as well be in a lucrative one!

Lost Angeles's picture

Perhaps I suffer from memory fade but I can't remember many if anyone saying it was a good move for Lewis to go to Mercedes.

My Sept 10 2012 post on the F1 2012 thread mentions the 2014 engine deal. Tongue

Orbe SE.

You can't exchange a six inch band for all the poisoned streams in Cumberland.

Diamond Joe's picture

Could Eddie Jordan be wrong this time? Brawn to stay... perhaps!

He's not a diamond geezer, or called Joe!

6th.replicant's picture

Gary Anderson seems impressed by the new McLaren...

6th.replicant's picture

6th.replicant's picture

In the vid at guardian.co.uk, link below, note the Merc F1 team's co-sponsor on the car's cockpit sides - BlackBerry - but what type of phone does team boss Toto Wolff use to take a pic (01:03)?  Click  

Clare Newsome's picture

Well Blackberry got lots of publicity this morning, with all the slow-mo footage of Lewis' crash....

On a different topic, Sky Sports F1 has confirmed it's going to show 3D broadcasts of the 3rd pre-season test - four days from Feb 28th.

It's just an experiment, but from the 3D footage i've seen previously (Panasonic shot a lot back when they sponsored Toyota) it could look great. Not that I could imagine watching two hours of race in 3D (if Bernie were ever to fund it), but it's an interesting move....

6th.replicant's picture

Kimi's new Lotus steering wheel, note the buttons  excellent!