Have your say & ask the experts!

Formula 1 - 2012 season

438 replies [Last post]
Clare Newsome's picture

After the success of this year's F1 thread, which ran for a mighty 18 pages, I thought i'd kick off one for next year's races.

First up in news today is Sky confirming its line-up for 2012.

Martin Brundle will be joined in the commentary box by David Croft - who's done a decent job helming races for BBC Radio 5 Live plus practice sessions.

Croft will continue to work with driver, Anthony Davidson for commentary on the practice sessions.

Pitlane reporters will be Ted Kravitz and Natalie Pinkham - both poached from the BBC.

The F1 programmes will be introduced by Simon Lazenby, with Steve Rider doing some key driver interviews.

Group Marketing & PR Manager - Computers Unlimited;

Former Group Editor of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and Whathifi.com

Twitter: @ClareNewsome

plastic penguin's picture
RE: Formula 1 - 2012 season

Is it quiet at 'The Towers', Clare?Wink

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

Formerly known as plastic penguin

Clare Newsome's picture

Nope, but it is lunchtime. Now can we please get back on topic? Ta Smile

F1 will be as predictable as the previous few: Vettal will runaway with the title and Mr. Hamiltion and Button will be left frustrated.

On a more seroious note, I honestly think it'll be a great idea for Murray Walker to return for a few races. Seen him recently on TV and his enthusiasm hasn't dampened with time. The current crop of commentators are dull in comparison.

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

professorhat's picture

Not had experience of Lazenby, but never particularly liked Rider when he was on ITV, so won't be missing him. Shame about Kravitz leaving the BBC though, his pit reporting was (mostly) spot on.

Waiting to see who the Beeb replaces Brundle and Kravitz with now...

professorhat's picture

plastic penguin wrote:

F1 will be as predictable as the previous few

You mean like the 2008 and 2010 seasons, which both went to the last race?

chebby's picture

Protests about the predictability of F1 are the only predictable thing about it.

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

professorhat's picture

Indeed. I could have included 2007, where of course, predicatably, Kimi Raikonnen won the title in the last race of the season (again - tut). Since he hadn't really been much in contention most of the season, this was no surprise at all.

However, I wasn't sure if 4 years counted as more than a few...  Smile

Clare Newsome's picture

professorhat wrote:

Not had experience of Lazenby, but never particularly liked Rider when he was on ITV, so won't be missing him. Shame about Kravitz leaving the BBC though, his pit reporting was (mostly) spot on.

Waiting to see who the Beeb replaces Brundle and Kravitz with now...

Well Lee McKenzie has confirmed she's staying with BBC - as has Jake Humphries and David Coulthard. But they're keeping very quiet about the rest of the team....

professorhat wrote:

Indeed. I could have included 2007, where of course, predicatably, Kimi Raikonnen won the title in the last race of the season (again - tut). Since he hadn't really been much in contention most of the season, this was no surprise at all.

However, I wasn't sure if 4 years counted as more than a few...  Smile

Lighten up chaps, that was a comment made more in jest rather than a factual statement. The clue was the beginning of the second paragraph: "On a more serious note..."

The_Lhc's picture

plastic penguin wrote:
Lighten up chaps, that was a comment made more in jest rather than a factual statement.

Perhaps people would find it more humorous if it weren't for that fact that every time F1 is mentioned some wag (I think that's how it's spelt anyway) pops up to say how boring it is.

rs6mra's picture

Does anyone reckon we'll see Martin share the gridwalk with Tanya?......

The_Lhc wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:
Lighten up chaps, that was a comment made more in jest rather than a factual statement.

Perhaps people would find it more humorous if it weren't for that fact that every time F1 is mentioned some wag (I think that's how it's spelt anyway) pops up to say how boring it is.

Hence why I rarely contribute to racing threads. It's a shame because, up until 2001, I was a real motor racing 'petrol head'; was my favourite sport bar none. Again, that's why I mentioned the wonderful Murray Walker as a great BBC PR coup.

BTW, I don't think myself as a wag.Smile

The_Lhc's picture

plastic penguin wrote:
BTW, I don't think myself as a wag.Smile

It wasn't you I was thinking of either...

ukdavej's picture

I don't have Sky TV so am still awaiting to see if Virgin Media are going to be able to do a deal with them for race coverage (otherwise I'll have to make do with the highlights). I don't blame Brundle for going to sky, I'm sure they're covergage will be first class and I fully expect a few new extra features to emerge although nothing will replace the grid walk for me as I really enjoy that part (pity it isn't longer really - the piece that is, not the grid!).

Please lets not get into the "bring back Murray" debate. Whilst he is a legend as far as motorsport is concerned and in essence they guy that started it all off on the commentary front. He could walk into any race venue in the world and be welcomed with open arms if he so wished, so lets let the ol' fella enjoy his retirement and leave the hard work to the new breed.

As far a being boring, I have pretty high hopes for next season (although motorsport is always boring if you don't like it). The McLaren team finished pretty strongly, Ferrari have the engine but the aerodynamics need some serious development. However, they have the cash to do it. Raikkonen returning will bring something extra as Renault were pretty strong in 2010 but suffered this year a bit with technical diffuser issues (if I recall correctly). I also have a sneaking suspicion that Mercedes may get into the mix next season and Torro Rosso may be the suprise package.

daveh75's picture

I've already mentioned it a few times, but for those that don't have/want Sky, there's no need to miss the races that will only be shown on Sky.

The simplest (Free) solution is to stream those races from RTLs (German commercial broadcaster with rights till at least 2015) web site.

There's adverts, and only German commentary, but you can use R5L for comms if necessary. The site isn't geo-blocked (or at least it wasn't this season) so no need for proxy servers etc, but if you're running ad blocking software you may need to disable it

http://www.rtl.de/formel1/livestream/index