Have your say & ask the experts!

Formula 1 - 2012 season

438 replies [Last post]
THESTIG08's picture
RE: Formula 1 - 2012 season

with the footie results they always say "if you don't want to know the results turn away now" and i do cos i don't, why not do it for F1? Its common sence really... 

Samsung 40" LCD -> Pioneer BDP-LX70A Blu-Ray -> Cambridge Azur 640C V2 (Transport) -> Rega Dac -> Rega Brio-R -> Kef R100 -> Partington Super Dreadnoughts -> Chord Epic -> Chord Cobraplus vee-> Chord Prodac x2 -> Logitech Harmony One

mykspence's picture

Diamond Joe wrote:

OK race, really pleased for JB, great drive.

I hope you haven't ruined it for anyone Wink

ZP90 > SIA2-150 > SCM40

Lost Angeles's picture

THESTIG08 wrote:

with the footie results they always say "if you don't want to know the results turn away now" and i do cos i don't, why not do it for F1? Its common sence really... 

The news was on ITV, The race on BBC, do I need to say more.

Orbe SE.

You can't exchange a six inch band for all the poisoned streams in Cumberland.

Diamond Joe's picture

mykspence wrote:

Diamond Joe wrote:

Eeeep! I sincerely hope not Shock

He's not a diamond geezer, or called Joe!

SpiceWeasel's picture

Diamond Joe wrote:

mykspence wrote:

Diamond Joe wrote:

Eeeep! I sincerely hope not Shock

I think you are safe Joe, surely you wouldn't read the F1 thread if you didn't want to know the result.

Quite an exciting race for Melbourne which as we know is not the easiest track to overtake on. Some really strong drives from some of the drivers with a few suprises from some of the smaller teams. Really pleased for Jenson who drove a perfect race, although you have to feel a bit sorry for Lewis after his poor start and the safety car throwing a spanner in the works. Even if the safety car hadn't come out there is no way he would have beaten Jenson today. Jenson 2012 champion...

I can't stand Alonso but I have to admit he is one hell of a racer, how on earth he managed to drag his car to 5th place is beyond me. The Ferrari is more of a wild stallion than a prancing horse at the moment, looks like they have alot of work to do back at Maranello.

I am quite impressed by the SKY coverage so far, although someone needs to tell Crofty to knock it back a few notches. It was good to hear his excitment during the race but someone needs to remind him that he is no longer on the radio. There was a few times I thought Legard was back with Brundle as he couldn't get a word in edgeways. I am sure the SKY team will settle into it more as the season goes on though.

Looks like we could be up for a really good season this year with the cars more evenly matched. Be interesting to see what happens next race as the Lotus's (Loti ?), Mercs and even Sauber could be in the mix with those long straights.

Sliced Bread's picture

Diamond Joe wrote:

THESTIG08 wrote:

after waiting in all morning to watch the bbc highlights as i dont have sky it has all been ruined by some stupid idiot on ITV news blurting out the result with no warning what so ever..god knows how many peoples afternoon has been ruined by her stupidity.

im off down the pub |(  

Bad luck man, I go to great lengths to avoid the result when I can't watch the races live, even answering the phone: "Hello, please don't mention the formula 1..." Reminds me of that episode of The Likely Lads where they were trying to avoid the result of a footy match.

I avoided the news as well to avoid the results, but my wife said to me "I know the result and all I'm going to say is its really really good".

Her favourite driver is button, followed Hamilton and Vettel. Thanks!

Samsung PS50Q96HD (Screen) | CA 640c V2 (CD) | Pioneer BDP 320 (BluRay) | Onkyo 905 (Amp) | B&W CM8, CMC & CM1 (Speakers) | MA RS-12 (Sub) | Chord Odyssey 4 (Speaker Cable) | Van den Hul - The Name (Interconnects)

jules153's picture

I'm a happy bunny. As along time F1 fan (without murdoch-vision) I was fearing the worst... Saw the 'highlights' on BBC Sunday afternoon and to be honest I don't feel short changed one bit. We seemed to get the whole of the race, just the laps under the safty car were ommited [good thing]. I thought the new guy, Ben Edwards, was fine as lead commentator and worked well with DC. Having Gary Anderson as the 3rd guy with analysis has good too and added a bit for us 'techies'.

My Dad has Sky sports so watched both Sky and BBC coverage - his opinion was that the BBC just edged it overall but not much difference really.

More importantly it was a great close race with plenty of overtaking  :) and not much of the dreaded 'field spread' which has made races a few years ago completley boring. The fact that 4 cars finished the race practically line-a-stern was fantastic. Oh and Red Bull not flying off into the distance will hopefully mean a close championship this year. Happy days.

JamesOK's picture

jules153 wrote:

I'm a happy bunny. As along time F1 fan (without murdoch-vision) I was fearing the worst... Saw the 'highlights' on BBC Sunday afternoon and to be honest I don't feel short changed one bit. We seemed to get the whole of the race, just the laps under the safty car were ommited [good thing]. I thought the new guy, Ben Edwards, was fine as lead commentator and worked well with DC. Having Gary Anderson as the 3rd guy with analysis has good too and added a bit for us 'techies'.

My Dad has Sky sports so watched both Sky and BBC coverage - his opinion was that the BBC just edged it overall but not much difference really.

More importantly it was a great close race with plenty of overtaking  :) and not much of the dreaded 'field spread' which has made races a few years ago completley boring. The fact that 4 cars finished the race practically line-a-stern was fantastic. Oh and Red Bull not flying off into the distance will hopefully mean a close championship this year. Happy days.

I watched both Sky and BBC coverage also.  I quite enjoyed the Sky coverage (although not sure about the main presenter whatever his name is), but the BBC has the edge as far as I am concerned as Jake, Eddie and DC work so well together.  Also, did you see the very start of the BBC coverage, with the seed landing on the track and the car coming from the distance?  Thats the kind of stuff the BBC F1 team do so well.

I really enjoyed the race, was good to see Button and Lewis in the top 3.  Plenty of action, even on the very last lap.  Hopefully will be an interesting season.

Sonos & Apple TV -> Cyrus 8XPD (with PSX-R) -> Cyrus X Power -> Spendor A5 

|| 

Sony Blu Ray & Sky HD & Apple TV -> Sony Surround Amp -> Jamo Surround Speaker Kit.

daveh75's picture
Interesting viewing figures for Skys coverage of the Australian GP.

6th.replicant's picture

daveh75 wrote:

Will be interesting to know whether or not F1 gives Sky any return on its investment.

Hopefully not, 'cos then Sky's bean counters will swiftly say "no" and F1 will have to revert to a free-to-air broadcaster pray

jules153's picture
RE: Formula 1 - 2012

6th.replicant wrote:

daveh75 wrote:

Will be interesting to know whether or not F1 gives Sky any return on its investment.

Hopefully not, 'cos then Sky's bean counters will swiftly say "no" and F1 will have to revert to a free-to-air broadcaster pray

It's hard to read into these figure since it's a early morning race. It'll be more interesting to see the figures for a daytime (UK time) race and also the British & Monaco for example where both BBC and SKY are showing the race live.

The main advantge sky have can be summed up in one word: Brundle. BBC seem to have everything else and also seemed to show every lap of the Aus GP race which I was very surprised... can't see too many people who don't have sky wanting to shell out at this rate.

On to Malaysia....

tino's picture

What an exciting race ... I even learnt a few more words in German courtesy of RTL ...  excellent!

SBT | Wadia 151 | Aliante Moda PF

professorhat's picture

Thrilling race - such a shame that a certain engineer seemed to put doubts into a certain driver's mind and put him off (without giving anything away for those waiting for the BBC highlights).

Clare Newsome's picture

Indeed - sadly smacked of politics that moment...

But another good race, with an unexpected result Smile

Group Marketing & PR Manager - Computers Unlimited;

Former Group Editor of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and Whathifi.com

Twitter: @ClareNewsome

chebby's picture

Clare Newsome wrote:
Indeed - sadly smacked of politics that moment...

What politics?

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390