Have your say & ask the experts!

Formula 1 - 2012 season

438 replies [Last post]
SpiceWeasel's picture
RE: Formula 1 - 2012 season

I hope we get an exciting wet race, and would love to see Alonso win the championship. Am not a big fan of Alonso but have to admit he is one hell of a driver, no one deserves it more as he has driven the wheels of an under performing Ferrari all year long. Should be emotional for Lewis as well especially if he wins, can't see him appearing on the podium next year unless Ross has something special up his sleeves for next years car. Please please don't let Vettel win for a third time in a row...

6th.replicant's picture

SpiceWeasel wrote:

... unless Ross has something special up his sleeve for next year's car ...

He did in 2009 Smile

Here's hoping... pray 

f1only's picture

What a good season & last race. I feel sorry for Alonso (whatever i think of him personally) as he has been such a consistantly fast driver in a car that was not the best. Congratulations to Vettel for his 3rd World Championship.

Of course a good win for Button too in Brazil. What a race so much action brilliant.

TV: Sony KDL-46HX853 ( calibrated ), Virgin Tivo Box, BD Players: Sony BDP-S790,  PS3, PS4 & Panasonic DMR-BWT700

A/V Amp: Yamaha RX-V1073

Speakers: Dali Ikon 6 Front L/R, Dali Ikon 1's Surround, Dali Ikon Vocal 2 Centre, B&W ASW610 Subwoofer.

My System

Sony Bravia 46HX853 Calibrated Settings

Clare Newsome's picture

What. A. Race.

Scraps right through the field; nail-biting stuff.

Congrats Seb (gritted teeth): fought to the end to win, as did Alonso. 

Group Marketing & PR Manager - Computers Unlimited;

Former Group Editor of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and Whathifi.com

Twitter: @ClareNewsome

mykspence's picture

Wow, I need a drink.

ZP90 > SIA2-150 > SCM40

chebby's picture

Clare Newsome wrote:
Congrats Seb (gritted teeth)

Not from me (not even with gritted teeth).

We were leaping around the room when he got shunted and they were telling him on the radio afterwards that the damage couldn't be fixed.

Anyway I am not going to depress myself further.

It was a blessing that he didn't get a chance to take the title from the podium (where he would have been totally insufferable) and great that Jenson Button won the race.

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

6th.replicant's picture

Blimey, what race shocked

From last to 6th in a damaged car, and the 3rd ever to win 3 on the trot. Props.

Not bad for a bunch of "garagistas".

Lost Angeles's picture

I’ve not seen anything since the race so may have missed the answers to the following but here goes. How come Vettel didn’t get a drive through for wiping out Senna, it didn’t even get investigated by the stewards as far as I could see. Every other incident this season has been investigated and there have been a few drive throughs,  Hulkenberg  got one for the incident with Lewis later in the race. Then why didn’t he get one for overtaking the Sauber up the hill under yellows, even that didn’t seem to get looked at.Having said that I think he would have still finished high enough to be the champion, he had enough luck going for him in Brazil. Mind you two drive throughs and he may have cracked up.To 6th  Don’t think Red Bull were around when garagistas was first used.

Roll on 2013.

Orbe SE.

You can't exchange a six inch band for all the poisoned streams in Cumberland.

jules153's picture

That must have been the best F1 season I can remember. To think only a few years ago it was very common to have races where there was zero overtaking for the whole event, unless you passed someone during fuel stops. Brazil had it all and was a fitting conclusion to a great year.I must say, even though many of my friends dislike him, I felt sorry for Alonso. He never had the fastest car at any time during the season, and had more bad luck than most, but still finished on 278 points compared to Vettel's 281 - an amazing achievement. [On the first lap of Spa and Suzuka he was crashed into and retired whereas Vettel was bumped at Brazil and his car was still OK.]Let's hope 2013 is as good, the BBC still have good coverage, and Murdoch will not be allowed to encroach any fruther on many people's favourite sport.

Quote: "2013 season will be live all the way through on the BBC"Fast forward to 3hr 9minutes to hear Jake say this -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01p2m41/Formula_1_2012_The_Brazili...

Clare Newsome's picture

Lost Angeles wrote:

IThen why didn’t he get one for overtaking the Sauber up the hill under yellows, even that didn’t seem to get looked at.

Because it wasn't yellows - it was alternating yellows and reds, which is a warning signal to show there's a slippery track; overtaking is fine under those. That was clarified by both FIA and Ferrari technical director, Pat Fry (when asked if Ferrari would protest).

relocated's picture

Well I don't watch F1 because it is generally boring and MotoGP[motorcycles] is much better.  However, I am very pleased that, as a Brit couldn't win, Vettel beat Alonso and Ferrari.  I have seen Vettel on a couple of shows and he is very good value and entertaining.  Considering how talented and driven he is, he comes across as being very grounded and not at all arrogant.  Consider the difference between him and Schumakker, worlds apart in the arrogance stakes.

Alonso seems to have lost a little of his arrogance, but whenever I have seen him in the company of other drivers he just doesn't fit in.  Most of the other drivers seem to get on but Alonso is just another[less talented] Schumakker and I would hate him to ever win a championship in the future.  Especially with Ferrari, who I find to be the most reprehensible team in sport, outside of cycling of course.

Congrats to Vettel and Red Bull cheer and I trust that next year will produce entertainment close to the excitement of this final race [I watched the highlights].  I still won't watch though.

beauty, eh

Apple Lossless - ATV3 - AVI ADM 40  also ATV3 into AVI ADM 9T [my wife's system]

and Grado SR80i

Clare Newsome's picture

relocated wrote:

I have seen Vettel on a couple of shows and he is very good value and entertaining.  Considering how talented and driven he is, he comes across as being very grounded and not at all arrogant. 

You definitely DON'T follow F1, then Shock

Vettel finger

6th.replicant's picture

And don't forget he also does a fine Nigel Mansell impersonation  excellent!

Lost Angeles's picture

Clare Newsome wrote:

Lost Angeles wrote:

IThen why didn’t he get one for overtaking the Sauber up the hill under yellows, even that didn’t seem to get looked at.

Because it wasn't yellows - it was alternating yellows and reds, which is a warning signal to show there's a slippery track; overtaking is fine under those. That was clarified by both FIA and Ferrari technical director, Pat Fry (when asked if Ferrari would protest). 

Thank you for that Clare, I must admit I didn't see any reds and none were mentioned on Sky but with all that was going on it was easy to miss things. Was the Senna incident not investigated?

Orbe SE.

You can't exchange a six inch band for all the poisoned streams in Cumberland.

SpiceWeasel's picture

Now that is what you call a final race to the season, more of that next year please Bernie. Vettel has to be the luckiest guy I have ever seen, but even though it pains me to say you have to respect him for the way he came back through the field to win the championship. Personally think Alonso deserved to win it as I don't know many other drivers who can outperform the car like he has all season long. Shame for Lewis to be taken out though as it would have made a good fight between the two McLarens and they would have taken second in the constructors.

Just have to wait until March now... Crying