Have your say & ask the experts!

Australian Open

34 replies [Last post]
professorhat's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 11011

Looks like Murray's really proving a lot of his early critics wrong now. Let's see if he can beat Djokovic...

 

gel
gel's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 11555
RE: Australian Open

professorhat wrote:

Looks like Murray's really proving a lot of his early critics wrong now. Let's see if he can beat Djokovic...

 

 

Andy Murray  good job

 

Hope so, I only saw bits of the match but he looked really strong.  Should be a great final now.

__________________

 

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

chudleighpaul's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Jan 2010
Posts: 1375
RE: Australian Open

Go Andy Go. After the US open you know you can beat him on a big occasion!

Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 4305
RE: Australian Open

Djokovic is still favourite -- his semi-final dismantling of Ferrer was frightening. 

Strangely, I didn't feel so nervous watching Murray today, despite him playing arguably the GOAT and a player he'd never beaten in a Grand Slam tournament.

Hopefully the final will be epic. Murray - Djokovic matches usually are. It'll have to go some way to top last year's Aussie Open Djokovic - Murray semi-final clash, and further still to better the extraordinary six hour Djokovic - Nadal final (perhaps the two most brutal matches I've ever seen). 

I love Federer and have had the privilege of watching him live, but I think his aspiration of competing at the Rio Olympic Games is unrealistic. Federer is an artist, but he's losing his edge against super-fit competition at the very top of the game. 

__________________

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11424
RE: Australian Open

strapped for cash wrote:

. Federer is an artist, but he's losing his edge against super-fit competition at the very top of the game. 

A bit like Woods and McIlroy in the world of Golf.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5935
RE: Australian Open

strapped for cash wrote:

Djokovic is still favourite -- his semi-final dismantling of Ferrer was frightening. 

Strangely, I didn't feel so nervous watching Murray today, despite him playing arguably the GOAT and a player he'd never beaten in a Grand Slam tournament.

Hopefully the final will be epic. Murray - Djokovic matches usually are. It'll have to go some way to top last year's Aussie Open Djokovic - Murray semi-final clash, and further still to better the extraordinary six hour Djokovic - Nadal final (perhaps the two most brutal matches I've ever seen). 

I love Federer and have had the privilege of watching him live, but I think his aspiration of competing at the Rio Olympic Games is unrealistic. Federer is an artist, but he's losing his edge against super-fit competition at the very top of the game. 

 

Agree 100%. Do you ever read the comments on the bbc sport website for a tennis story? It's like a particularly vicious cable thread! Disturbing and sometimes bizarrely compelling. 

 

Same feelings as you re today's match. I've rarely been disappointed with AM, throughout his career he's achieved about what he ought to have done for his current abilities. As of now, he's better than RF, certainly on outdoor hard courts. I thought he'd win in 4 and frankly he ought to have done it 3, should have won the first tiebreak and obviously when he served for the fourth. But he dealt with the fifth and served throughout like a champion. But for one lapse, he didn't look like being broken. 

 

Tough game on Wednesday. I see ND as a strong favourite (from what I've read rather than seen of his play, the speed of the court and having watched the US open final last week). I'd be surprised if it went 5 sets and wouldn't be surprised if AM lost in 3 tight sets. I think ND has bigger weapons than RF and can end a point quicker. Still, I'd love a long match and am obviously rooting for AM  Smile

__________________

HiFi   /   A/V   /   Bedroom

John Duncan's picture
Online
Joined: 8 Jan 2008
Posts: 22603
RE: Australian Open

Final at my house from 8 on Sunday if you fancy it PH. Bacon sandwiches provided Smile

__________________

Cambridge Audio StreamMagic 6  |  751BD  |  651A  |  Diamond 9.1 | Minx Xi | Sonos Play:3

Moderator. mail: john.duncan.whf at the mail of g dot com

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15576
RE: Australian Open

professorhat wrote:

Looks like Murray's really proving a lot of his early critics wrong now. Let's see if he can beat Djokovic...

 

Did he have any real critics?

My only real criticism was the way he came across when interviewed. He always struck me as a moody so-and-so.

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11424
RE: Australian Open

plastic penguin wrote:

professorhat wrote:

Looks like Murray's really proving a lot of his early critics wrong now. Let's see if he can beat Djokovic...

 

Did he have any real critics?

My only real criticism was the way he came across when interviewed. He always struck me as a moody so-and-so.

It may be that in the early days, it was assumed he would never quite fulfil his potential, and win Majors. His rather sullen tennis persona didn't help matters.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

Alantiggger's picture
Offline
Joined: 14 Oct 2007
Posts: 1586
RE: Australian Open

Well done Andy..... hope you go on to now win it.     woohoo!

 

He might be so dour because he's always been written off as a  no-hoper for many many years ?

Tim wasn't exactly a bundle of joy either if memory serves ? Nor the fella who does the side commentary these days John Lloyd before him ?

Probably all the pressure that they got and that Andy does now.

A Scotsman..... in Finals...... of tennis.....in a major.... amazing !  and he won one already who was it against yep the same player he's playing next... Novak Djokovic.       good job  He's got a decent chance and at worst will be second.    party time!

__________________

Lounge :  Samsung PS51E6500, Sony BDP S790, Virgin media XL with HD Sports Channels (BT &Sky),  Yamaha RX-V673.

Tannoy Arena 5.1 with stands.(http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/tannoy-arena-96472/review)

Bedroom: Panasonic PX70 TV and a Sony BDP-370 Blu ray Player & Kitsound Boomdock.  (quite superb for sound)

So far  :)

 

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15576
RE: Australian Open

CnoEvil wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

professorhat wrote:

Looks like Murray's really proving a lot of his early critics wrong now. Let's see if he can beat Djokovic...

 

Did he have any real critics?

My only real criticism was the way he came across when interviewed. He always struck me as a moody so-and-so.

It may be that in the early days, it was assumed he would never quite fulfil his potential, and win Majors. His rather sullen tennis persona didn't help matters.

Just wish he'd smile a bit more. It wouldn't hurt him, and it costs nowt.

Have to confess my view changed after the Womble final.

Wish him good luck in Oz against the cockey Djokovic.

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

Alantiggger's picture
Offline
Joined: 14 Oct 2007
Posts: 1586
RE: Australian Open

I don't care how he looks nor sounds tbh............ just hope he wins is all  :)

If not.... second for a Scot's tennis player ??????? In a Major Final.... for tennis  ... Fantastic !

__________________

Lounge :  Samsung PS51E6500, Sony BDP S790, Virgin media XL with HD Sports Channels (BT &Sky),  Yamaha RX-V673.

Tannoy Arena 5.1 with stands.(http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/tannoy-arena-96472/review)

Bedroom: Panasonic PX70 TV and a Sony BDP-370 Blu ray Player & Kitsound Boomdock.  (quite superb for sound)

So far  :)

 

Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 4305
RE: Australian Open

BenLaw wrote:

Do you ever read the comments on the bbc sport website for a tennis story? It's like a particularly vicious cable thread! Disturbing and sometimes bizarrely compelling. 

I rarely bother any more. Most of the time discussion centres on fervent nationalism rather than debates about tennis. I had a glance at the BBC's website yesterday, but stopped after reading a post suggesting Murray should have done the Scottish equivalent of a black power salute when collecting Olympic gold.

In response to posts about Murray being a dour Scot, I have no problem with his personality. I recall the flood of complaints about Murray not looking happy after winning the US. Murray is quite shy and simply not that comfortable on camera. To suggest he didn't care and wasn't pleased seemed bizarre to me. Besides, the term personality encompasses a huge range of traits. If grit, determination, and absolute commitment are aspects of one's personality, Murray has them in abundance.

__________________

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11424
RE: Australian Open

strapped for cash wrote:

In response to posts about Murray being a dour Scot, I have no problem with his personality. I recall the flood of complaints about Murray not looking happy after winning the US. Murray is quite shy and simply not that comfortable on camera. To suggest he didn't care and wasn't pleased seemed bizarre to me. Besides, the term personality encompasses a huge range of traits. If grit, determination, and absolute commitment are aspects of one's personality, Murray has them in abundance.

There have been times recently when Murry's emotions have broken through, and a glimpse of the "real" Murry was nice to see. 

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5935
RE: Australian Open

Congrats to Azarenka on retaining her title  good job I don't usually watch a lot of women's tennis due to the power v recovery mismatch and number of unforced errors, but what I watched of today was good quality stuff, lots of genuine winners and very competitive  Smile

__________________

HiFi   /   A/V   /   Bedroom

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11424
RE: Australian Open

BenLaw wrote:

Congrats to Azarenka on retaining her title  good job I don't usually watch a lot of women's tennis due to the power v recovery mismatch and number of unforced errors, but what I watched of today was good quality stuff, lots of genuine winners and very competitive  Smile

It's the grunting (screaming) that I find off-putting.....but the standard is very high. I think they would comfortably beat the men from 30 - 35 years ago. Actually Borg (in his hay day) vs S. Williams would be intriguing!

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide