Have your say & ask the experts!

Anyone own a Renault Grand Scenic 1.5 DCI 110bhp...

41 replies [Last post]
CnoEvil's picture

....If you do (or have done), could you please tell me the sort of MPG that you are getting......I've a strong feeling that it can't get within an Ass's roar of the official figure, which is a combined total of 57.6mpg. The urban figure is given as 48.7mpg, and as yet we haven't ever seen this on any sort of driving.

It's a fairly new purchase for Mrs. Cno (her 98 Espace finally went on strike), is just over a year old and has 7.5k on the clock.....and we are getting 38-45mpg. My Golf has an official combined figure of 52.3 (IIRC) and actually does about 50.5 combined.

The garage say everything checks out OK (well they do, don't they), so I wanted conformation from any owners out there.

Thanks for any feedback

Cno

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

RE: Anyone own a Renault Grand Scenic 1.5 DCI 110bhp...

You are not alone in disappointed fuel economy. My Astra 2.0DTi does 44mpg despite claims 20% better. I really doubt official figures now but am powerless to change anything.

Mordaunt Short Mezzo System C - 8,5,1,9.Yamaha V2065. SonyS570. Panasonic TX-P42G20B., Sky HD 1TB. Garrard 86SB. PF30. Wii. WDTV Live. Harmony One. STAX300. QED cabling. Galaxy Tab 10.1

System Photos - http://s1051.photobucket.com/user/robinkidderminster/library/?sort=3&page=1

Base trap Project -  http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/corner-base-trap-completed-project?page=1

CnoEvil's picture

RobinKidderminster wrote:
You are not alone in disappointed fuel economy. My Astra 2.0DTi does 44mpg despite claims 20% better. I really doubt official figures now but am powerless to change anything.

Thx Robin. Maybe I'm spoilt with my Golf, which gets close to the official figures. I often get 60 mpg on a long run...not bad from 140 horses!

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

chris hollands's picture

You need to be very carefull with official fuel consumption figure.

They are generally done , going in a straight line, rolling road, perfect conditions with no wind or drag.

Totally out of sync with real world figures im afraid !

Been selling cars for 20 years and never seen one do what it was meant to !

Samsung UE46C8000 , JVC DLA-HD350 with darbee , Monitor Audio RX6av12 , Samsung BD6900 ,Yamaha RX-V3067, X-Box 360 , SKY HD 3D , Harmony One.

CnoEvil's picture

chris hollands wrote:

You need to be very carefull with official fuel consumption figure.

They are generally done , going in a straight line, rolling road, perfect conditions with no wind or drag.

Totally out of sync with real world figures im afraid !

Been selling cars for 20 years and never seen one do what it was meant to !

Cheers mate.

It's a big car, with a relatively small engine......"Ye cannae change the laws of physics", I suppose.

I've been spoilt by my VW......and there was no talking Mrs.Cno out of the Renault    banging head against wall

The_Lhc's picture

CnoEvil wrote:
It's a big car, with a relatively small engine..

Yes that was my first thought, you'd need to accelerate quite hard to get it going, especially if loaded with kids and tat and that will kill the economy.

CnoEvil's picture

The_Lhc wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

Yes that was my first thought, you'd need to accelerate quite hard to get it going, especially if loaded with kids and tat and that will kill the economy.

A lot of the time I'm struggling to get over 40mpg with just me in it, and doing 55 mph.  Angry

Paul.'s picture

What rev range do you drive in?  I've got a Mazda Deisel at the mo, and it needs 2000rpm to get its most economic.  It will get its combined figure quite happily on a dual carriageway.  As I understand it, you need to be right at the bottom of your powerband.  If you bury the throttle and you don't instantly accelerate, you may be too low on revs to get the most efficiency.

Paul's system thread

(where the photos live) Paul's Flickr page

The_Lhc's picture

CnoEvil wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

A lot of the time I'm struggling to get over 40mpg with just me in it, and doing 55 mph.  Angry

On the flat? That sounds odd, I get 53mpg typically out of my 160bhp TTID Saab 9-3, which I imagine is a lot heavier, that's doing 70 on the motorway, if I drop down below 60mph due to roadworks (or just being on the M25) that'll pretty rapidly rise to more like 57mpg. If all I did was motorway driving I'd get 700 miles out of a full tank but the rest of the journey is country roads and lots of uphill stretches. Even so I can usually get 600 miles before I fill up again and that's rarely putting more than 50 litres in (it's unusual if I manage to get 50 litres into in fact, nominally it's a 55 litre tank). 600 miles out of 50 litres is about 54mpg, which is about right.

Are your tyres correctly inflated? not sure if it would make that much difference but it will make a difference.

CnoEvil's picture

Paul. wrote:

What rev range do you drive in?  I've got a Mazda Deisel at the mo, and it needs 2000rpm to get its most economic.  It will get its combined figure quite happily on a dual carriageway.  As I understand it, you need to be right at the bottom of your powerband.  If you bury the throttle and you don't instantly accelerate, you may be too low on revs to get the most efficiency.

I drive in the "green band". 

The other day, when we took both cars on a 40 mile round trip, to leave the G/Scenic to the Renault garage (driving one behind the other), the Golf read 52.5 and the Renault 38.3.

CnoEvil's picture

The_Lhc wrote:

On the flat? That sounds odd

Yup, which is why I'm looking for another owner's experience. I was expecting 45-50mpg.

Big Chris's picture

I'll loan you my 3.0 petrol, 4x4, 4 speed auto, Ford Maverick cno.... After that, anything your Scenic returns will seem like a blessing.  Smile

Hi-Fi: Arcam A85, P85, CD192. B&W 602S3, PV1, Grado SR125, Atlas Titan, Hyper 2.0.

A/V: Sony KDL-V40A12U, BDP-S760, Humax Youview, Onkyo TX-SR875, B&W MT30 7.1, QED HDMI-P, S.A XT

CnoEvil's picture

Big Chris wrote:

I'll loan you my 3.0 petrol, 4x4, 4 speed auto, Ford Maverick cno.... After that, anything your Scenic returns will seem like a blessing.  Smile

excellent!

Thx for the offer BC, but that's like stamping on your toe to take your mind off your headache........I used to own a Scooby , so feel your pain!

plastic penguin's picture

CnoEvil wrote:

....If you do (or have done), could you please tell me the sort of MPG that you are getting......I've a strong feeling that it can't get within an Ass's roar of the official figure, which is a combined total of 57.6mpg. The urban figure is given as 48.7mpg, and as yet we haven't ever seen this on any sort of driving.

It's a fairly new purchase for Mrs. Cno (her 98 Espace finally went on strike), is just over a year old and has 7.5k on the clock.....and we are getting 38-45mpg. My Golf has an official combined figure of 52.3 (IIRC) and actually does about 50.5 combined.

The garage say everything checks out OK (well they do, don't they), so I wanted conformation from any owners out there.

Thanks for any feedback

Cno

The bro-in-law has one and he seems pretty happy with his. Although, I think that would be tickling the accelerator. You'll get great economy but it'll take a month to get to the destination.

FWIW my Alfa does around 38 MPG on motorways - that's a sporty 1.8L.

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

Formerly known as plastic penguin

CnoEvil's picture

plastic penguin wrote:

The bro-in-law has one and he seems pretty happy with his. Although, I think that would be tickling the accelerator. You'll get great economy but it'll take a month to get to the destination.

Thx PP.

Does he have the 110 Turbo Diesel, and do you know what mpg makes him "pretty happy"?

plastic penguin's picture

CnoEvil wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Thx PP.

Does he have the 110 Turbo Diesel, and do you know what mpg makes him "pretty happy"?

He doesn't go into specific figures but he seems pretty happy... it pretty much does what it says on the tin. However, he is irritatingly frugal with the car. Hence why I mentioned the Alfa, because the Renault is a little underpowered, whereas the Alfa takes less welly to get it upto speed, and it's a lot lighter, too AFAIK.

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

Formerly known as plastic penguin