ngibbs's picture
RE: Synology DS213J vs Synology DS214?

+1

ngibbs's picture

professorhat wrote:

SiUK wrote:

Hello again. Thanks for further info Smile 

You say that you've had your Synology NAS running 24/7 since August. Is this tnrough choice or is it because the scheduled on / off doesn't do as it should? I read about the sleep mode, but I thought they could also be set to turn off (say during the night) and on (in the morning for example) instead of just left to hibernate? Is it possible?

Scheduled power off and on works fine - I use it to shut down my 214+ at 1am and turn back on at 6am every day. Also, this used to sit just behind our sofa and I can't say I could ever hear it.

+1

SiUK's picture

Under threat of [something I can't mention], I bought a Synology DS213J and 2 WD Red disks.

Partner in crime convinced me (she has her ways) that we needed to [save] money and for dumb things like food etc. so I'm sticking with the cheapest NAS solution after all. You know how it is, you start with the sensible priced thing, and then you get carried away because you see the next model up for only 60 quid more and then the next model is just another 90 quid...etc. and before you know it you've spent another £400 more than you intended.

Anyhooo...

BluePotato's picture

SiUK - did you get the DS213j?  I'm in exactly this position now.  Can't decide if it's worth spending the extra on the DS214.  I'm not too fussed about transcoding, more a bonus than anything.  Key think for me is minimising lag, I've never seen a NAS in action but I want the OS to run smoothly without lag and If I'm listening to iTunes via the NAS I'd like it to be as responsive as possible (ie going from song to song dont want buffering, spinning circle!).  

starborough's picture

I bought one of these (DS213J) just before Christmas 2013.

I use it for file storage, and transferred my mail server to it soon after.

Whilst it does absolutely everything it says on the tin, the only problem is Synology itself.

I had religiously upgraded the firmware every time a new version came out, and everything was fine until 3 months ago, when , after a firmware upgrade it started rebooting itself. At first the reboot was every couple of hours so it wasn't a huge deal. Then after another firmware upgrade it became worse until it was continuously rebooting.

I raised a support request with synology very early on, and checked their forums. A lot of people had experienced this, but synology took the line that it must be a hardware problem. I went through the various hoops they set me, but the one thing they would not consider was that the firmware was causing the problem.

I upgraded it again last night and instantly the problem improved although it didn't go away.

I would not buy another one of these, and I am considering asking for my money back if they don't stop being in denial.

Pages