52 posts / 0 new
Last post
ngibbs's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/06/2010 - 17:54
Posts: 180
RE: Synology DS213J vs Synology DS214?

+1

ngibbs's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/06/2010 - 17:54
Posts: 180
RE: Synology DS213J vs Synology DS214?

professorhat wrote:

SiUK wrote:

Hello again. Thanks for further info Smile 

You say that you've had your Synology NAS running 24/7 since August. Is this tnrough choice or is it because the scheduled on / off doesn't do as it should? I read about the sleep mode, but I thought they could also be set to turn off (say during the night) and on (in the morning for example) instead of just left to hibernate? Is it possible?

Scheduled power off and on works fine - I use it to shut down my 214+ at 1am and turn back on at 6am every day. Also, this used to sit just behind our sofa and I can't say I could ever hear it.

+1

SiUK's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 days ago
Joined: 05/01/2013 - 10:15
Posts: 410
RE: Synology DS213J vs Synology DS214?

Under threat of [something I can't mention], I bought a Synology DS213J and 2 WD Red disks.

 

Partner in crime convinced me (she has her ways) that we needed to [save] money and for dumb things like food etc. so I'm sticking with the cheapest NAS solution after all. You know how it is, you start with the sensible priced thing, and then you get carried away because you see the next model up for only 60 quid more and then the next model is just another 90 quid...etc. and before you know it you've spent another £400 more than you intended.

 

Anyhooo...

BluePotato's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 30/05/2012 - 17:35
Posts: 142
RE: Synology DS213J vs Synology DS214?

SiUK - did you get the DS213j?  I'm in exactly this position now.  Can't decide if it's worth spending the extra on the DS214.  I'm not too fussed about transcoding, more a bonus than anything.  Key think for me is minimising lag, I've never seen a NAS in action but I want the OS to run smoothly without lag and If I'm listening to iTunes via the NAS I'd like it to be as responsive as possible (ie going from song to song dont want buffering, spinning circle!).  

starborough's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 30/06/2014 - 10:29
Posts: 1
RE: Synology DS213J vs Synology DS214?

I bought one of these (DS213J) just before Christmas 2013.

I use it for file storage, and transferred my mail server to it soon after.

 

Whilst it does absolutely everything it says on the tin, the only problem is Synology itself.

I had religiously upgraded the firmware every time a new version came out, and everything was fine until 3 months ago, when , after a firmware upgrade it started rebooting itself. At first the reboot was every couple of hours so it wasn't a huge deal. Then after another firmware upgrade it became worse until it was continuously rebooting.

 

I raised a support request with synology very early on, and checked their forums. A lot of people had experienced this, but synology took the line that it must be a hardware problem. I went through the various hoops they set me, but the one thing they would not consider was that the firmware was causing the problem.

 

I upgraded it again last night and instantly the problem improved although it didn't go away.

 

I would not buy another one of these, and I am considering asking for my money back if they don't stop being in denial.

Francisco Castro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 28/10/2014 - 18:06
Posts: 13
RE: Synology DS213J vs Synology DS214?

Hi.
Sorry for using your thread but i can´t decide between these 2 models.
My goal with a NAS is to backup my stuff (Windows 8.1), maybe my girlfriend's files (OSX Yosemite) and to store my music (MP3 and Flac) for then stream the audio to a Cambridge Audio NP30 (dlna). And access it when i'm not at home, of course.

About streaming video, i'm not interested.

What of these two models you think is better for me? Is the increase of performance of the DS214 worth? If i decided for the DS213J, i'll buy 2 WD Red 2TB which will cost me 333.52€/$419.19. If i go to the DS214 with 2 WD Red 1TB it will cost 384.45€/$483.40.

Please answer me asap because i'm a bit of hurry with these.

Thanks

Audio Analogue Verdi Cento > Cambridge Audio NP30 > Micromega MyDAC > Audio-Technica LP-1240USB > Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 > Synology DS214Play + 2 WD Red

bigboss's picture
Online
Last seen: 47 min 45 sec ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13650
DS213J should suffice your

DS213J should suffice your needs.

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2405
Hi all,

Hi all,

regarding NAS buing always go for the latest model! I've bought the 213 in the end of 2012.

Synology, only give support softwear for 3 years, after that you'll be on your on, and they advise you not to do any softwaer updates, the NAS will work but you'll be stuck with a unit that has no support. 

What are the meaning of Synology numbers? 

It's easy, the first one is the number of HD bays, the last two is the year they came out, so this year models are 214, 414, 414j. But you can get alredy the 415. 

So always get the latest version.

 

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

bigboss's picture
Online
Last seen: 47 min 45 sec ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13650
That's fine, but there's no

That's fine, but there's no reason why DS213J won't be able to update its software while DS214 could.

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2405
bigboss wrote:

bigboss wrote:

That's fine, but there's no reason why DS213J won't be able to update its software while DS214 could.

It doesn't work like that in Synology, the Softwear updates are specific to each model, so in 2016 it will be the last update provided to 2013 models.

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2405
Here is a Synology forum link

Here is a Synology forum link that says it all.

and sorry i've said 5 year support but i was rong it seems like they only give 3 years support...

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=248&t=90589&start=60

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

Xanderzdad's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 25/06/2008 - 20:23
Posts: 573
Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

bigboss wrote:

That's fine, but there's no reason why DS213J won't be able to update its software while DS214 could.

It doesn't work like that in Synology, the Softwear updates are specific to each model, so in 2016 it will be the last update provided to 2013 models.

I've never seen anything to suggest that they stop supporting models. Some features may be model specific but most of the software is updated regardless of model.

The DS210J is still getting the same updates as mine so the 3 year rule is obviously a myth.  The 5 year old 209J is only getting a 4.2 update, but that is due to it's hardware limits and not specific to it's age.

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2405
Xanderzdad wrote:

Xanderzdad wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

bigboss wrote:

That's fine, but there's no reason why DS213J won't be able to update its software while DS214 could.

It doesn't work like that in Synology, the Softwear updates are specific to each model, so in 2016 it will be the last update provided to 2013 models.

I've never seen anything to suggest that they stop supporting models. Some features may be model specific but most of the software is updated regardless of model.

The DS210J is still getting the same updates as mine so the 3 year rule is obviously a myth.  The 5 year old 209J is only getting a 4.2 update, but that is due to it's hardware limits and not specific to it's age.

Have you read the forum thread? 

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

bigboss's picture
Online
Last seen: 47 min 45 sec ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13650
Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

Xanderzdad wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

bigboss wrote:

That's fine, but there's no reason why DS213J won't be able to update its software while DS214 could.

It doesn't work like that in Synology, the Softwear updates are specific to each model, so in 2016 it will be the last update provided to 2013 models.

I've never seen anything to suggest that they stop supporting models. Some features may be model specific but most of the software is updated regardless of model.

The DS210J is still getting the same updates as mine so the 3 year rule is obviously a myth.  The 5 year old 209J is only getting a 4.2 update, but that is due to it's hardware limits and not specific to it's age.

Have you read the forum thread? 

What about it? Francisco isn't interested in streaming video which is the only major advantage of DS214. I would assume he has read the thread before asking the question, and he still isn't sure if DS214 is worth the extra money.

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2405
bigboss wrote:

bigboss wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

Xanderzdad wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

bigboss wrote:

That's fine, but there's no reason why DS213J won't be able to update its software while DS214 could.

It doesn't work like that in Synology, the Softwear updates are specific to each model, so in 2016 it will be the last update provided to 2013 models.

I've never seen anything to suggest that they stop supporting models. Some features may be model specific but most of the software is updated regardless of model.

The DS210J is still getting the same updates as mine so the 3 year rule is obviously a myth.  The 5 year old 209J is only getting a 4.2 update, but that is due to it's hardware limits and not specific to it's age.

Have you read the forum thread? 

What about it? Francisco isn't interested in streaming video which is the only major advantage of DS214. I would assume he has read the thread before asking the question, and he still isn't sure if DS214 is worth the extra money.

But he can get the DSM 214j.

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

Pages

Log in or register to post comments