26 posts / 0 new
Last post
stevebrock's picture
RE: Synology DS212j > Rega DAC using iOS control app

And they have you believe streaming is simple! 

With apple not likely to facilitate hi res music - this is the best option for me to stream my 24/96 files from my NAS to my DAC 

ngibbs's picture

stevebrock wrote:

With apple not likely to facilitate hi res music - this is the best option for me to stream my 24/96 files from my NAS to my DAC 

You can stream hi res through itunes no problem, with ALAC, WAV OR AIFF.

leadears's picture

stevebrock wrote:

In essence all I will be using my MacBook Pro is purely ripping CDs with the iTunes destination folder on my NAS which will be connected via USB & SPDIF converter to my Rega DAC! 

One point, unless they've fixed it with an update Synology's DS Audio doesn't do gapless playback, as far as I'm aware that's the only streaming interface to the USB out on the diskstation. So if you need gapless you'll need a different interface, e.g.: itunes -> SPDIF, Logitech media server (runs on the NAS) -> Ipeng (ios app) -> apple airport express -> DAC. You could also use a 2nd hand sqeezebox in place of the airport express in the previous example.

Some folks have had prolems using the usb to DAC interface, a non-exhaustive list of compatibility is here: http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/User_Reported_Compatible_USB_Speakers

Chisy1's picture

ngibbs wrote:

You might find that iTunes on your MacBook Pro won't keep your destination folder in your NAS, and will default each time to the Music folder on the computer. That's what happens with my MacBook Air and I haven't been able to find out if there's any way to stop it. By pressing Option when openning iTunes, it will ask you to choose a Library file. You can then locate your library file (iTunes Library.itl) on your NAS. After that you don't have to press Option each time (it'll ask you to locate your Library file ever after when switching on), but it will usually revert to it's default and won't 'save' the location for you.

Some good tips here:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/computer-based-music/tip-sharing-an-itunes-library

i have a new MacBook Pro and decided to connect my NAS via afp, and it is set up to connect to the afp share on start up.  Provided it connects, and very rarely I have to manually connect, then once I open up iTunes it automatically points to the NAS folder without problem.

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture

Hi guys

I have a DS213 with 2  x 3 TB HDs, and my SBServer runs on it, I have the DS connected to my wifi tower through a QED LAN cable and the wifi tower connected to the SBT through a LAN cable again, i don't use streaming as the SQ is much better this way. 

But I do have a question the DS audio Player do Hi Res? And Steve tomorow will try to connect the DS directly to the Rega DAc an see what happens, Hi Res is out of the picture as Rega DAC only do 44khz through is USB input. 

stevebrock's picture

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

Hi guys

I have a DS213 with 2  x 3 TB HDs, and my SBServer runs on it, I have the DS connected to my wifi tower through a QED LAN cable and the wifi tower connected to the SBT through a LAN cable again, i don't use streaming as the SQ is much better this way. 

But I do have a question the DS audio Player do Hi Res? And Steve tomorow will try to connect the DS directly to the Rega DAc an see what happens, Hi Res is out of the picture as Rega DAC only do 44khz through is USB input. 

yes i know yopu will need a spidf coverter through usb

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture

stevebrock wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

Hi guys

yes i know yopu will need a spidf coverter through usb

For now I just want to know what the out come is, connecting the DS to Rega DAC. 

stevebrock's picture

I think it down samples to 16/44 through its usb - typical - makes you realise how good the SBT s doesn't it as I can just stream hi res straight to it with out any drop outs 

BitPerfect Support's picture

I just wanted to mention that I have been using a Synology DS411j 4-bay NAS (4x2TB, Synology Hybrid Raid) with my ca-2009 MBP, and more recently with my ca-2009 Mac Mini in my music playback system for about 18 months now.  It has been entirely problem-free, with one minor exception handled nicely by Synology support.  I have even taken the NAS to high-end audio trade shows to give me maximum demo flexibility.

I have one observation for stevebrock, which is that you are proposing to connect the NAS directly to the DAC via USB.  I presume that to make this work you will be using DSM's built-in iTunes server.  I have never tried this configuration myself (my NAS is co-located with all my networking hardware, with back-up power and everything, far from my music system), but I cannot see how BitPerfect could possibly work in this configuration.  For BitPerfect to work, it needs to be running on the computer to which the DAC is connected.

Good luck.

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture

I've been working with this in my head all day today, and the first thing i've done when i got home was looking for a plastic bag that i've with a ton of plastic cheap cables and pic the first USB cable that came to my hand. 
Went to the living room and connected the Rega DAC to Synology NAS.  My first findings are VERY possitive! Good SQ all around comparing to the SBT that I've highly regarded.  I've made A/B test playing the same music and the SBT has a bit more depht on low frequences, but the NAS has a more three-dimentional soud stage!  If you've never had a SBT or a dedicaded music streamer you'll be fully rewarded.  The IOS App is easy to use, faster then the SBT accessing the library and me and my wife each one with ower ipad we're selected some musics for half an hour and the NAS never freesed. Nice to have extra reliable possibilities when the SBT deliver her soul to the creator...  :cheer:

Pages