Have your say & ask the experts!

Synology DS212j > Rega DAC using iOS control app

25 replies [Last post]
stevebrock's picture

A few questions as I am new to this. Thanks

I want a Synology DS212j that will be hardwired to my Rega DAC via USB. 

I have a MacBook Pro that I will use to rip in ALAC but will set up my destination iTunes folder to be on the NAS so in effect I wont have any music on my MBP.

Can anyone see any problems with this?

Obviously I will have to use the Synology app when using my DAC or can I use the iOS remote app?

Can I still use iTunes via my MBP?

Sorry but I am new to all this!

Thanks

Icon Audio ST40 III / KT88, Rega Apollo R, DAC, RS3

Rega RP6, Nagaoka MP-200, White Belt, Michell Tecnoweight, Rega Fono MM

Rega Quattro, Couple 1 & 2

bigboss's picture
RE: Synology DS212j > Rega DAC using iOS control app

stevebrock wrote:

No, as long as you have another backup of your music, so you,don't lose everything if the hard drive on our NAS crashes.

Quote:

Obviously I will have to use the Synology app when using my DAC or can I use the iOS remote app?

I don't know. Maybe someone else will come along and help you with this.

Quote:

Yes, you can still play the songs in your MBP via iTunes.

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

stevebrock's picture

Thanks for that, I have been reading some of your threads!

Logical step would be to use the DS Audio app on my iPhone - Does app have a good interface/easy to use/intuitive?

Thanks for you help

I plan to use 2 x 2TB

Lastly will the Synology output ALAC files through the USB?

bigboss's picture

stevebrock wrote:

Logical step would be to use the DS Audio app on my iPhone - Does app have a good interface/easy to use/intuitive?

Yes, it's very good.

Quote:

I plan to use 2 x 2TB

Are you planning to use Synology's hybrid RAID, or some other RAID? That's not a true backup. Also, if both the hard drives are from the same batch, they're likely to fail together. I would suggest using another external hard drive as a backup.

Quote:

Lastly will the Synology output ALAC files through the USB?

Yes.

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

Chisy1's picture

stevebrock wrote:

A few questions as I am new to this. Thanks

I want a Synology DS212j that will be hardwired to my Rega DAC via USB. 

I have a MacBook Pro that I will use to rip in ALAC but will set up my destination iTunes folder to be on the NAS so in effect I wont have any music on my MBP.

Sorry but I am new to all this!

Thanks

Only other possible downside is that if you're away from home and don't have remote access to the NAS (which is possible but I'm yet to figure it out) then you won't have any music/media on your laptop.  Obviously you may have other sources (eg iDevice) which would negate that problem.  Or do what i end up doing and temporarily copying media across...it's a bit of a pain though. 

stevebrock's picture

Thanks

I must say Im confused about RAID, I want to mirror each HD in case one fails!

What do all the RAID suffixes mean?

bigboss's picture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

You can mirror it (JBOD).

Are the 2 hard drives of the same brand & bought together? If so, they're very likely to be from the same batch & likely to fail together. Just a suggestion as you don't have any backup on your MBP.

professorhat's picture

bigboss wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID You can mirror it (JBOD).

Mirroring is also known as RAID1.

bigboss wrote:
Are the 2 hard drives of the same brand & bought together? If so, they're very likely to be from the same batch & likely to fail together. Just a suggestion as you don't have any backup on your MBP.

I wouldn't say this was likely but certainly it's a possibility. The main reason for maintaining a separate backup is to protect against accidental deletion or corruption since RAID offers no protection against this.

bigboss's picture

I meant use the drives as JBOD & set the 2nd drive to back the 1st drive up.

ngibbs's picture

You might find that iTunes on your MacBook Pro won't keep your destination folder in your NAS, and will default each time to the Music folder on the computer. That's what happens with my MacBook Air and I haven't been able to find out if there's any way to stop it. By pressing Option when openning iTunes, it will ask you to choose a Library file. You can then locate your library file (iTunes Library.itl) on your NAS. After that you don't have to press Option each time (it'll ask you to locate your Library file ever after when switching on), but it will usually revert to it's default and won't 'save' the location for you.

Some good tips here:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/computer-based-music/tip-sharing-an-itunes...

Study: Synology ds212j (+ DS Audio) & Sonos ZP90 (Spotify & Tune-In Radio)→ Metrum Acoustics Octave DAC→ Cyrus Pre-XP (with PSX-R) + 2 Cyrus X Power → Vienna Acoustics Hadyns (Study) & ATC SCM11s (Kitchen), Beresford TC 7220 speaker switch, HiFi Racks Podium

Living Room: Macbook Air (2012 - iTunes + Bit Perfect) → M2Tech HiFace 2→ Metrum Acoustics Octave DAC →Cyrus DAC XP with PSX-R + Cyrus Mono Xs→ Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands

stevebrock's picture

ngibbs wrote:

You might find that iTunes on your MacBook Pro won't keep your destination folder in your NAS, and will default each time to the Music folder on the computer. That's what happens with my MacBook Air and I haven't been able to find out if there's any way to stop it. By pressing Option when openning iTunes, it will ask you to choose a Library file. You can then locate your library file (iTunes Library.itl) on your NAS. After that you don't have to press Option each time (it'll ask you to locate your Library file ever after when switching on), but it will usually revert to it's default and won't 'save' the location for you.

Some good tips here:

Thanks for that!

I notice your using Bit Perfect - is that used in conjuction with itunes?

ngibbs's picture
RE: Synology DS212j

stevebrock wrote:

ngibbs wrote:

Some good tips here:

Thanks for that!

I notice your using Bit Perfect - is that used in conjuction with itunes?

It is. I think iTunes sounds pretty rubbish without it to be honest. BitPerfect is a great bit of software that bolts on to iTunes and reduces its 'intervention' (make sure you've got everything unticked in iTunes Preferences - Playback; basically you want to take iTunes out of the equation as much as possible). Very reasonably priced too at 7 quid or so. There are others: Pure, Amarra etc., but they tend to be a lot more expensive and personally I didn't think they were worth the extra cash.

A word of warning to you: my experience at setting up a system similar to what you're wanting was far from hassle-free. Macs have strange anamolies, such as the music file reverting to default that I told you about, that can get very frustraing. My own Synology has not been hassle-free either (a week spent with their admittedly very good Help Desk to discover why a recent OS X upgrade had rendered my Music file on the NAS invisible), though it is generally a very good piece of kit. Basically I don't think that Macs and their OS are yet designed with a NAS as a music source in mind, and it's pretty well known that Apple don't give a fig about anyone else. Now that I know a little more about it, it's fine, but it's been a long time getting here, and lots of searching on forums. I can understand why some people go for streamers....

Study: Synology ds212j (+ DS Audio) & Sonos ZP90 (Spotify & Tune-In Radio)→ Metrum Acoustics Octave DAC→ Cyrus Pre-XP (with PSX-R) + 2 Cyrus X Power → Vienna Acoustics Hadyns (Study) & ATC SCM11s (Kitchen), Beresford TC 7220 speaker switch, HiFi Racks Podium

Living Room: Macbook Air (2012 - iTunes + Bit Perfect) → M2Tech HiFace 2→ Metrum Acoustics Octave DAC →Cyrus DAC XP with PSX-R + Cyrus Mono Xs→ Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands

stevebrock's picture

Thanks for that! Typical Apple eh! 

I haven't my MBP or Synology yet, currently using an iMac streaming to a SBT but this will be used with some active speakers for bedroom I know the SBT is fine with synology - will have the synology hard wired to my rega DAC and controlled by DS Audio app. 

I will take a look at Bit Perfect

ngibbs's picture

stevebrock wrote:

Thanks for that! Typical Apple eh! 

I haven't my MBP or Synology yet, currently using an iMac streaming to a SBT but this will be used with some active speakers for bedroom I know the SBT is fine with synology - will have the synology hard wired to my rega DAC and controlled by DS Audio app. 

I will take a look at Bit Perfect

When I say Macs are not built for NAS as musical source, I should say be precise and say MacBooks (and of course I could be wrong about the MacBook Pro). My old iMac was far more co-operative and problem-free.

stevebrock's picture

In essence all I will be using my MacBook Pro is purely ripping CDs with the iTunes destination folder on my NAS which will be connected via USB & SPDIF converter to my Rega DAC! 

ngibbs's picture

stevebrock wrote:

In essence all I will be using my MacBook Pro is purely ripping CDs with the iTunes destination folder on my NAS which will be connected via USB & SPDIF converter to my Rega DAC! 

Ah, I see. Hadn't read your post properly. Clever!