15 posts / 0 new
Last post
bigboss's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13655
Apple TV3 finally jailbroken!!
English

Just randomly checked Firecore website, & noticed this news posted yesterday :cheer:

EDIT By MODS <Link removed whilst check on authenticity of site is completed>

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 16439
RE: Apple TV3 finally jailbroken!!

bigboss wrote:
Just randomly checked Firecore website, & noticed this news posted yesterday :cheer: http://firecoreseas0npass.blogspot.co.uk/

So what does that mean? Was it just a challenge to see if it could be done? Or does it give extra functionality to the ATV3?

Access to iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD would be good but that involves either... 

Angel BBC, ITV etc. putting compatibility in place at their end for a jailbroken device 

(b) Clever people providing software updates that will make your ATV 'spoof' an established iPlayer platform (like Bravia or Humax/YouView or whatever Samsung Smart TVs use).

 

 

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

bigboss's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13655
RE: Apple TV3 finally jailbroken!!

My Apple TV 2 (jailbroken with Firecore installed) is a powerful network media player, & can play movies wirelessly off my NAS drive. They have been unable to jailbreak Apple TV3 yet. Apple Tav3 is 1080p, while 2 is only 720p. Check ebay & Amazon for going price of used Apple TV2.....almost £200....it is for this reason.

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 16439
RE: Apple TV3 finally jailbroken!!

bigboss wrote:
Check ebay & Amazon for going price of used Apple TV2.....almost £200....it is for this reason.

Not for much longer then? Smile

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

rjb70stoke's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 25/03/2010 - 22:41
Posts: 101
RE: Apple TV3 finally jailbroken!!

I'd say that site is a scam. All the links revert to that page.

daveh75's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 31/07/2008 - 18:54
Posts: 8403
RE: Apple TV3 finally jailbroken!!

bigboss wrote:
My Apple TV 2 (jailbroken with Firecore installed) is a powerful network media player,

Hardly.

Just makes it more usuable, but no more than many other devices (out of the box)

bigboss's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13655
RE: Apple TV3 finally jailbroken!!

rjb70stoke wrote:

I'd say that site is a scam. All the links revert to that page.

Not really. I have Firecore installed on my apple TV 2 which was jailbroken with seas0npass more than a year ago.

bigboss's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13655
RE: Apple TV3 finally jailbroken!!

daveh75 wrote:

bigboss wrote:
My Apple TV 2 (jailbroken with Firecore installed) is a powerful network media player,

Hardly.

Just makes it more usuable, but no more than many other devices (out of the box)

Sure, but this also has AirPlay audio & video as an added bonus for just £81.

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1265
RE: Apple TV3 finally jailbroken!!

daveh75 wrote:

bigboss wrote:
My Apple TV 2 (jailbroken with Firecore installed) is a powerful network media player,

Hardly.

Just makes it more usuable, but no more than many other devices (out of the box)

 

means you can install the mighty xbmc Biggrin

roger06's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 23/12/2007 - 10:51
Posts: 1641
RE: Apple TV3 finally jailbroken!!

Ooh this could be exciting.

There are indeed loads of scams out there, but it seems trustworthy if it's on the Firecore site.

XMBC is the main reason for jail breaking in my opinion...

I'll await further confirmation and / or a YouTube vid of someone doing it before I get one to join my ATV2. I bet if you paid £200 for an ATV2 recently you'll be angry!

rjb70stoke's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 25/03/2010 - 22:41
Posts: 101
RE: Apple TV3 finally jailbroken!!

bigboss wrote:

rjb70stoke wrote:

I'd say that site is a scam. All the links revert to that page.

Not really. I have Firecore installed on my apple TV 2 which was jailbroken with seas0npass more than a year ago.

 

What I mean, is, that link that you posted, is a false link and could well damage your computer. Click through it, all links lead back to the same page.

roger06's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 23/12/2007 - 10:51
Posts: 1641
RE: Apple TV3 finally jailbroken!!

rjb70stoke wrote:

 What I mean, is, that link that you posted, is a false link and could well damage your computer. 

 

How on earth did you jump to that conclusion? A page of HTML can do no such thing...

Or are you referring to the file you download? In which case yes, you take your chances as with all software you download and run.

 

rjb70stoke's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 25/03/2010 - 22:41
Posts: 101
RE: Apple TV3 finally jailbroken!!

roger06 wrote:

rjb70stoke wrote:

 What I mean, is, that link that you posted, is a false link and could well damage your computer. 

 

How on earth did you jump to that conclusion? A page of HTML can do no such thing...

Or are you referring to the file you download? In which case yes, you take your chances as with all software you download and run.

 

 

1. Because if you do click on the download link, it asks you to fill in a survey, which, are well known to transmit malware etc. and of course you will be entering your details falsely.

2. If you go to the "real" Firecore website. Their Blog makes no mention of the ATV3 jailbreak. Im guessing they would be making quite a splash about it if true.

bigboss's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13655
RE: Apple TV3 finally jailbroken!!

You have a point there. I've emailed Firecore for clarification.

roger06's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 23/12/2007 - 10:51
Posts: 1641
RE: Apple TV3 finally jailbroken!!

rjb70stoke wrote:

roger06 wrote:

rjb70stoke wrote:

 What I mean, is, that link that you posted, is a false link and could well damage your computer. 

 

How on earth did you jump to that conclusion? A page of HTML can do no such thing...

Or are you referring to the file you download? In which case yes, you take your chances as with all software you download and run.

 

 

1. Because if you do click on the download link, it asks you to fill in a survey, which, are well known to transmit malware etc. and of course you will be entering your details falsely.

2. If you go to the "real" Firecore website. Their Blog makes no mention of the ATV3 jailbreak. Im guessing they would be making quite a splash about it if true.

 

Sadly, I think you're right...

 

Cry

Log in or register to post comments